Creating Deity-themed spell lists...

1 post / 0 new
My friend and I are currently in the process of creating our own campaign setting. The system we're using as the foundation is 3.5e, while the setting itself comes from a forum-based roleplaying group.

Currently, we're having an issue working out the spell lists for the Practitioner (essentially a conglomeration of the Cleric and Paladin classes from D&D). We have 5 deities that the player chooses from, with 2 Aspects associated with each deity:

• Pledos, the Southern god of war and the hunt; Aspects are War and Hunt

• Hundron, the Northern god of peace and order; Aspects are Peace and Order

• Valdia, the Twilight (unaligned) goddess of the land and its creatures; Aspects are Nature and Balance

• Trine, the "evil" goddess of sin and worldly pleasures (and, randomly, the sea); Aspects are Sin and Beauty

• Terenci, the goddess of freedom, the skies and weather; Aspects are Stochasticity (randomness) and Freedom

What we're hoping to have by the end is 27 spells per Aspect (three 1st-level, three 2nd-level, and so on up to 9th level). Our problem is that we're stumped for ideas that fit the themes, which are:

• War: Spells that a caster would use in battle (healing, offense, buffs)

• Hunt: Making the predator (players) stronger and the prey (enemies) weaker

• Peace: Either reducing or stopping the effects of combat, mainly through defensive measures

• Order: Similar to Peace, only more forceful

• Nature: Most likely going to be similar to druidic magic (plants, animals, natural terrain, etc.)

• Balance: ...Balance, I guess?

• Sin: Ideally, we'd like to have 2-3 spells for each of the 7 Deadly Sins (Envy, Greed, Gluttony, Pride, Wrath, Lust, and Sloth)

• Beauty: Manipulative effects

• Randomness: I'm thinking of spells that have a chance to have either a positive effect on allies or a negative effect on enemies, with the player not having the choice of which will happen

• Freedom: Removing effects that hinder allies, or granting effects that increase their abilities

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Smile