[GTC-ICD] Simic Fluxmage

78 posts / 0 new
Last post
Passing this on from MTG Salvation.

Simic Fluxmage
Creature - Merfolk Wizard (U)
Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
, : Move a +1/+1 counter from Simic Fluxmage onto target creature.
1/2

i45.tinypic.com/2ltikiw.jpg

Apparently somebody pulled this card from an RTR pack during an FNM tonight. I can hardly believe that such a thing would happen twice, but the card itself is very believable.

Note that evolve (a slightly different version) was Ethan Fleischer's mechanic from the Great Designer Search 2. Ethan Fleischer is on the design team for Gatecrash.

Either way, the mechanic is perfect for the Simic.
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
Ethan's original Evolve mechanic was a little different in that it triggered off of any creature, not just yours, put only for power.
"Evolve - Whenever a creature with a power greater than CARDNAME's power enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on CARDNAME."

But the similarity is striking.
I'm willing to call this as legit.  
put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.)

Might wanna fix that, considerably altered my impression of the mechanic.
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
That is not a reason alone. Everyone has seen the GDS2 and could have made the connection with both Ethan and Simic.

That said, the card looks very real. 
put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.)

Might wanna fix that, considerably altered my impression of the mechanic.

Fixed.
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
Evolve is impressive. 0/1 with Evolve for 1cmc will be incredible.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
"Fluxmage" sounds very Izzet.

I would've gone with "Bubblewitch" 
vs Rakdos
:3 
If this is real I think it's pretty cool.
Well, at least it's in the same block this time.....
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I like how you can move the counters onto any creature, so I can beef up my allys' creatures in two-headed giant if need be.

I really like this mechanic. The name is very Simic, too.
Self grafting? Well it certainly seems better then unleashed. 
How to Auto Card
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck
Auto Deck
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4x Halimar Depths 4X Unstable Frontier 8X Island 4X Swamp Creatures 12 4x Hedron Crabs 4x Nemesis of Reason 4x Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4X Spreading Seas 4X Suffer the Past 4x Mind Funeral 4X Archive Trap 4X Ponder 4x Into the Roil 4X Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Got to wait and see what kind of help this mechanic gets. Constructed power level is low but in limited this is crazy. 
This looks fun.

I like the mechanic (then again i just love counters overall) and i can see its possibilities.

The card itself is very good being able to distrubute counters however you seem fit for such a low cost.

Looking forward to what more Gatecrash will offer.
Not a bad mechanic I think. It encourages to build a deck with a curve and not just weenie and works well with some of the old simic cards.
Room for many new counter ticks I hope.

On the basis of Garruk's Packleaders rulings I'd conclude that Evolve shouldn't mess up with merfolks lord effects, as they're static and boost new creatures before Evolve triggers.
That said, I do think we need a little bit more power to make the better splashoption for merfolk tribal over .
But this is only a single uncommon for now. Can't wait for some rare power.

this could possibly be the rare hybrid 1 drop, like Nivmagus Elemental and Deathrite Shaman

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Oh wow, I like the evolve mechanic already, I like how this mechanic reward me for playing "wall" creatures.
I just hope that not all creatures with evolve mechanic have absurb mana cost to cast. 
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Could you use this to give your opponents undying creatures counters just before they enter the graveyard? Is that a legal move?
Very interesting indeed but I was wondering if both power and toughness are higher then do you get 2 +1/+1 counters?

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

Could you use this to give your opponents undying creatures counters just before they enter the graveyard? Is that a legal move?

Depending on your definition of "just before", yes, you could use the second ability this way. It also works well with Graft.

this could possibly be the rare hybrid 1 drop, like Nivmagus Elemental and Deathrite Shaman

For what it's worth, one of Ethan's cards in the contest was a 1/1 for G with Evolve at uncommon.

For what it's worth, one of Ethan's cards in the contest was a 1/1 for G with Evolve at uncommon.

Also rare Hybrid is a cycle, they're not all one drops. (unless all enemy colored guilds get rare hybrid one-drops, which is kind of counter to the idea of ravnica being specifically not about ally/enemy color pairings, but just all color pairings)
Also, they never did a rare hybrid one drop cycle, they did an uncommon hybrid one drop cycle.

Each guild only gets three hybrid cards; one common, one uncommon, one rare. 
I hate how green this is.
Is that how that worked? Jeeze, Rakdos got shafted.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Very cool mechanic. Can't wait for more spoilers!

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Evolve is as green as graft.

As in, not very green unless people reason that the mechanic is blue because it requres thought to play. 
I quite enjoy Evolve. I think I'm definitely going Simic for the prerelease; however, I'll have to see what the other guilds have in store.

CURRENT EDH DECKS: Sek'kuar | Kraj | Teysa | Wort | Purphoros | Varolz | Reaper King | Rakdos | Isperia | Ultimus | Iroas | Macar | Roon | Marath | Kruphix | Karametra | Marchesa

It seems like a cool ability and probably has a lot of interesting cards (like graft did), I expect there to be a lot of Simic cards that grant benefits and abilities to creatures with +1/+1 counters, just like graft worked. So it's not just a P/T boost but also abilities.

I don't really get the flavor though. Why does the creatures "evolve" because of another, bigger creature? Does it study the new creature or something?
:\ I'm not such a fan of snowball mechanics (Quirion Dryad notwithstanding.) I get that the trick is that your little dudes keep pace with your big dudes, but the mechanic itself tries to encourage overextending which is bothersome. On the otherhand it works quite well with snowballing card draw a'la Triumph of Ferocity, Staff of Nin etc. What bothers me most about this is the "under your control" clause- which seems flavorfully wrong given that evolution is usually part of a genetic arms race. Your critters only get bigger when you play bigger guys, but when your opponent plays bigger guys you're hung to dry.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I wouldn't buy that story. It seems more like someone purchased Gatecrash product as retailer and is spoiling a card they've obtained from opened the product early against their legally binding agreement.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/7/74/Spr_5b_645.png)

Simic uses +1/+1 counters. I'm sure blue will have things parasitic off +1/+1 counters, like the original graft.

Plus, it lets you mess with your own -X/+X effects (which are, of course, a very blue thing), and hates on -X/-X effects.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
wow Corpsejack Menace can work really well with Simic O.o just have to splash in black
Seems like this could even work with Selesnya's populate mechanic.
Drop a couple of Centaurs and this becomes a 3/4.
Of course, you could always just play a better Selesnya card.

Which brings me to the overall point of this post.
It looks like this mechanic will mostly be on overcosted creatures (3cc for a 1/2 as an example).
I'm hoping there's a few uncommons and rares with Evolve that pass the 'Vanilla Test'.

"We wlll kill them all."

It looks like this mechanic will mostly be on overcosted creatures (3cc for a 1/2 as an example).
I'm hoping there's a few uncommons and rares with Evolve that pass the 'Vanilla Test'.

While RTR's power is kinda weak, and so I can expect the same for GTR, I don't think evolve creatures are going to be overcosted in general. This costs three, because it can move away its counters, meaning it's fairly easy to keep it evolving, whereas others will become a lot harder to evolve after one or two counters.

While RTR's power is kinda weak, and so I can expect the same for GTR, I don't think evolve creatures are going to be overcosted in general. This costs three, because it can move away its counters, meaning it's fairly easy to keep it evolving, whereas others will become a lot harder to evolve after one or two counters.

I meant that the Evolve cards will be overcosted relative to the Vanilla Test, as mentioned above.

"We wlll kill them all."

I meant that the Evolve cards will be overcosted relative to the Vanilla Test, as mentioned above.

And (I guess) shinny umbreon is saying that the spoiled card is not an evidence for what you are suggesting, whether or  not this end up being true.
I play for fun
Hmm, now I really want to see more mono green Ball Lightnings in Gruul, or guildless.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

Except for higher rarities.
Seems okay as a mechanic.
I wouldn't buy that story. It seems more like someone purchased Gatecrash product as retailer and is spoiling a card they've obtained from opened the product early against their legally binding agreement.

There's a month and a half until Gatecrash's release.  There is no way that anyone outside the printer or distributor is sitting on sealed cases of Gatecrash.  WotC would not release product into the wild so soon, otherwise we would be seeing full set spoilers around this time in the season, every season.

Retailers might have to back me up on this, but I would guess the earliest they ever see a set is the week of the prerelease.

Sign In to post comments