14th Level Rogue Build - The Walking, Talking, Stabbing Disintegrate Spell!

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Right-o, now that my smashing title has grabbed your attention and is readying his action to sustain said grab, I will explain how you can build a Lvl 14 rogue (originally created with the Mud Sorcere's Tomb in mind, but it ended up being a damage experiment with some friends) who can deal a whopping 100-108 damage twice daily guaranteed!

Twice daily? you might think whilst poring over the Rogue table in the Classes PDF. Ace in the Hole is twice daily! Perhaps this genius of a forum goer has put it to spectacular use...
If, perchance, you were thinking that (and let's face it, who wouldn't think me a genius?), you would have guessed correctly! For this build relieth heavily upon that wonderful Rogue thingy called Ace in the Hole.

First, the rundown on what you will need for this Build:
Lvl 14 Rogue (for Ace in the Hole 2/day)
Feats: Ambush [Removed due to unnecessary-ness], Called Shot, Skill Focus - Stealth, Skill Supremacy - Stealth
Rogue Talent: Sneak Attack
Skills: Training in Stealth - the more, the better!(not really needed, but hiding and attacking are what this build relies on, so shame on you for not taking it!)
Flametongue Longbow (if this isn't a level-appropriate item, please let me know. I can't figure out magic items anymore.) Removed due to lack of magic item creation rules beyond my DM's speculation.

Now, a word of warning: it take two turns or so to set this up to work, so you will only do this much damage once every three of your rounds. That being said, as far as I am aware this is guaranteed damage, so it might be worth it.

Right. First, you must successfully hide/be stealthy/become hidden, whatever the term may be (make sure to have the Flametounge Longbow equipped)! The Ambush feat will allow you to gain advantage and thus utilise your Sneak Attack[See the Feats section above].

Next round, use your action to do Called Shot on an enemy who seems to be lacking for any sort of cover nearby - if you can't see the target at the start of your next turn, you'll have to start over on someone else.

If you can see the target the third turn and you are still hidden, roll your attack w/out the advantage Ambush gives you in order to use the Sneak Attack. If it hits, great! Skip the next few lines to the paragraph break. If you miss, just use Ace in the Hole for a guaranteed hit. BOOM. 

Now for damage - this is where things get good. If you got this far, it's because you used Called Shot and didn't attack anyone the previous turn, so no matter what, you have full martial damage dice (which, if I read it correctly, recharge at the start of your turn). Because of Called Shot, the hit was a critical, so all damage dice from the attack are maxed. My interpretation, as well as that of the DM's, is that the Martial Damage dice are a part of that, as well as magic damage from the Flametongue Longbow. You will also need to use your Martial Damage Bonus to get the fullest results for this Rogue build.

Now for a breakdown of the damage, assuming a Dexterity Modifier of +4, and the Flametongue longbow being a +1 Magic Weapon:
Maxed Weapon Damage: 1d8+2d6+5 = 25 13
Maxed Martial Damage Dice (Doubled due to Sneak Attack) = 72
Martial Damage Bonus = 15
Extra Weapon Dice from Critical = 1d8 (1-8)

Adding this up, you deal at least total of 100 damage, and as much as 108 damage!

Now, it is true that spells such as Disintegrate are potentially more damaging - Disintegrate, which I will use as a comparison, does, on average, 56 damage, and deals 96 max. On top of that, Disintegrate will kill the target if the target has 60 hit points or fewer, so damage may be slightly higher in several cases. 

What is different about my build compared to spells like Destruction, Harm, or Disintegrate, is that the method used for my build is much more reliable. Assuming your rouge is as good at Stealth as a wizard is at casting spells, then you will, after 3 turns, auto-hit for max damage. Now, a wizard could do much more than 113 damage in 3 turns, but that relies on his targets failing their saving throws 3 turns in a row, and then rolling well on damage. And even after that, the wizard cannot use 6th and 7th level spells for the rest of the day, and he's down a 5th level spell, as well. This Rogue build deals this damage slowly, but will always deal it at least twice a day if you save your Ace-in-the-Hole's, and possible more than. The wizard of an equal level has pretty much just one or two shots to get this right.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy, and if you see anything wrong with the mechanics of this build, or if you have a suggestion for improvement, please post below! And, as always, keep it nice! (Or this rogue will get you!)(Just kidding, he's only a harmless character sheet.)

EDIT: Fixed Ambush being required and removed the magic item.
i like this as it shows the fact that caster supremacy only comes into play when people dont analyze all options.
on the other hand, thats not saying this is overpowered as, like you said, this takes three turns to pull off, when the wizard could hit three times.

although, i wouldnt use flaming longbow as part of your calculations as no magic items are guaranteed anymore

also, the +1 on magic items is seperate to the ability

(although honestly i have changed the +x/magic effect system. basically, +x comes down to the items physical construction and is unrelated to the effects put on to it. but magic could give them +x bonuses :P)
Called shot too satisfying. Time investment equals murder, a very good paradigm.

This all came about from picking feats. I said 'why not called shot?' Then I did that there math you see my friend has posted, and bam, hyper-murder rogue.

If only fighter had something as awesome as this for melee. 
Right, i just did the math, and a 20th-level Rogue with this build and no magic weapons has a pretty good chance of 2-hitting Asmodeus with a party helping him out, and, with a level-appropriate magic weapon, by himselfSolo. Mano a mano. One on one. It's 105 damage with no magic items and a normal longbow, and 124-131 damage with an Oathbow (Maxed Weapon Damage: 1d8+3d6+5 = 31, Maxed Martial Damage Dice (Doubled due to Sneak Attack) = 72, Martial Damage Bonus = 20, extra weapon dice from Critical = 1d8 (1-8).
Right, i just did the math, and a 20th-level Rogue with this build and no magic weapons has a pretty good chance of 2-hitting Asmodeus with a party helping him out, and, with a level-appropriate magic weapon, by himselfSolo. Mano a mano. One on one. It's 105 damage with no magic items and a normal longbow, and 124-131 damage with an Oathbow (Maxed Weapon Damage: 1d8+3d6+5 = 31, Maxed Martial Damage Dice (Doubled due to Sneak Attack) = 72, Martial Damage Bonus = 20, extra weapon dice from Critical = 1d8 (1-8).

sure. you COULD two hit asmodeus. but that is 6 turns. in the mean time Asmodeus (who would have been aware of your approach) and all his minions around him are tracking you down and attacking
True, true. I agree that this is very situational, and using Asmodeus as an example was a bad idea. That being said, the type of Rogue to use this build probably has Skill Supremacy for Stealth and maybe even a magic item to help him be Stealth-ier. Also, the rogue will probably have a party with him anyway, so they would distract the minions and maybe even Asmodeus while the Rogue sets up. The reason this build is great is that the damage in guaranteed once it's all set up. Also, I made a mistake with the math - it's twice in five turns (1 to hide, 1 to set up called shot, 1 to attack, 1 to set up called shot, 1 to attack). Of course, by that point, another auto-crit might not be needed if the party focuses on Asmodeus (or whatever enemy you are fighting).
you have essentially turned the rogue into a deployable missile turret. i like.

i think the greatest strength of this build is it's ability to end fights before they start. old school parties that scout and ambush would be a nightmare to any DM.

i can just see it now.

rogue "stay in the bushes and wait for my signal to attack"
fighter "whats the signal?"
rogue "when that orc cheiftan's head explodes" 
Being hidden gives advantage already, Ambusher lets you keep the advantage if you run out and stab the target. So Ambusher isn't necessary.

So you swap out Ambusher for Skill Focus (Intimidate).

Then you add the skill trick Display Deadliness to your alpha strike.
Not to quibble, but as I understand it there is no flame tongue longbow. Flame tongue is only ever a sword.
Nice.

Yeah, good point on Ambusher. I don't think it's needed, either. There's the "your miss doesn't reveal you" bit, but you're using Ace in the Hole to not miss, so I'm not sure how it applies here.

Display Deadliness would be very situational. It'd rely on there actually being enemies within 10 feet. However, true, that would allow the rogue to set up in spots that would otherwise mean her swift demise.

You are right that a flametongue longbow doesn't exist. Once magic item creation rules are back in, the GM could always create an appropriate item. I can see the comedic value in a magical longbow that has a property the rogue really wants to use, with the "loud" minor property. Rogue sneaks, positions, alpha-strikes - with a very audible "Aha! Take that, knave!" when he does.

You are right that a flametongue longbow doesn't exist. Once magic item creation rules are back in, the GM could always create an appropriate item. I can see the comedic value in a magical longbow that has a property the rogue really wants to use, with the "loud" minor property. Rogue sneaks, positions, alpha-strikes - with a very audible "Aha! Take that, knave!" when he does.

My god, the horror, the horror!

Also, thanks for the head's up on Ambush, guys. I'll remove that from the build, replace it with something better.
Personally I'm using an assassinate since it gives autocrit with a chance to double crit (without extra |W|).  Depending on how the DM interpretate "aware of your presence", you may use it more than once on the same target.  The current playthough, I keep to the back and dropping the peripherals so the remaining monsters are not "aware of me" (think turkey shooting).  

My DM is currently doing this interpretation for using it more than once on a target.  
"You can use assassinate once, you will have to move + hide and someone else must distract it within melee range for your presence to be erased"

Ignoring the situation where I start hiddened, typically it goes

T1-Hide (Hide in Shadows -using skulker specialty, completely optional-, Wood Elf's grace, had trouble finding when I can't hide :P)
T2-Assasinate with attack

At lvl14 without racial bonus, that's 8 + 36 +15 = 59, with a Con DC check of 10 + 5 (dex mod) + 4, that's a Con DC of 19 for 108 damage.
But I haven't gotten that high yet, started at 1, lvl 3 now :P

That's the difference though, I can use assasinate starting at lvl 1.
We should crunch some numbers to see how the law of average and turn use stacks!
The beauty of using assassinate is that you can use covert strike instead of called shot (ambusher specialty or doesn't matter if it's free pick) and have a chance to pop someone off every single turn.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks range rogue seems a bit OP (especially compared to wizard)!  Do you have other broken/OP builds?  We should make a list or something :P
 Do you have other broken/OP builds?  We should make a list or something :P

We should! In fact, I'll start that topic right now.
EDIT: Here it is!