Dual lands?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Will we always have dual lands in standard? I just got back into Magic, and I was thinking of how good the mana fixing is right now. I understand that in the past, they had the fetch lands, and the 'bounce' lands. Will those ever be reprinted? When Gatecrash and the rest of the shocklands come out, all of the mana fixing in standard will be pretty good.

Just some noob questions, really.
I think the core set ones are here to stay and we'll almost always have viable allied colot mana fixing in various blocks. But these 3+ color mana bases won't last.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Some form of Dual Lands will always be available (the allied Zen/Buddy Lands from core sets) but I'd be surprised if the next block's fixing will be as good as this one's.

(at)MrEnglish22

And this set, as good as it may be, isn't as good as rav was the first time around, drafting or otherwise. Still, it's glorious and/or silly. I'd love to see a full 10 painlands in the next block... But then, I'm hoping that Dragon Maze is all double colors for lulz. Hymn, sinkhole, counterspell, boomerang, some sort double uncommon two cost cycle. Possibly because I'm a dangerous lunatic. Maybe reprint Necro and some other stuff at rare. What could possibly go wrong?
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
I think the core set ones are here to stay and we'll almost always have viable allied colot mana fixing in various blocks. But these 3+ color mana bases won't last.

Yeah, I find it pretty easy to run a 3+ color deck, and I LOVE it.
I think easy fixing should not always exist. We shouldn't always be able to play any colors we want. Yeah, I like that Rav allows us to play whatever but it shouldn't be that way forever. Mono colored goodness should be allowed to exist. 
i have a hard time believing we'll ever be in a format going forward that doesn't have at least 1 dual land cycle (if only allied colors).  modern design, as of late, has made a point of including them.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I think we'll get some variant of the allied duals in each core.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

The presence of decent manafixing doesn't present an insurmountable limit to monocolored decks. Absolute ease with a manabase and a huge potential boost to the power of the card pool available to multicolored decks is what does it.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
I do enjoy the duel lands, it really does help open up more deck options. However I don't want to see this many options (gatecrash's as well) very often at all.

I am already growing a little weary of all the 4 and 5 color decks that have almost no mana issues. I also suspect by the time the RtR block leaves standerd I'll be wanting to vomit every time i play a rainbow deck.

I doubt we will see a full standerd block go by without any duel lands in it. I just hope not to see a duel land card for every color combination in the same block any more.
Those decks DO have mana issues, they're just hidden. You don't see Boat Brew or SlamCakes (a la lor-ala era) being poolssible. Standard has slowed down, so the tempo for 'I want all of the spells. Ever.' trafe is less visible. Ah, give me a card pool that makes sligh and MBC a thing and I'll show you what that cost looks like.
76783093 wrote:

If you mean Alpha duals, then that's pretty much what the Buddy-System Lands (or Zen Lands) are. Or Shock lands.

I'd like to see some lands with 2 basic land types that gained the opponent life. 

(at)MrEnglish22

If you mean Alpha duals, then that's pretty much what the Buddy-System Lands (or Zen Lands) are. Or Shock lands.

I'd like to see some lands with 2 basic land types that gained the opponent life. 

A grove of the burnwillows cycle would be techy. 
they would certainly favor control and some midrange builds with a cycle like that.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

they would certainly favor control and some midrange builds with a cycle like that.

Which we need more of in Modern. Which is all I'm really interested in currently.

(at)MrEnglish22

We don't need a lack of duals. Look no further than the Mirrodin-Champions Standard (with 8th Edtion) and you'll find some horrendous mana...it was miserable. Sure, it encouraged mono-color decks, but there's a better way. Cards that encourage the use of basics are a prime example, and include Valakut and Emeria recently in Standard (Valakut decks ran 0 dual lands most of the time, encouring the use of Terramorphic Expanse and the like; card that have no chance otherwise.) Non-basic hate like Fulminator Mage and Anathemancer are okay too. With the way Wizards is encouraging the use of creatures, I'm quite surprised Rakdos Charm didn't deal 1 for each non-basic lands both players had instead of creatures...I expect some kind of hate card soon.
We don't need a lack of duals. Look no further than the Mirrodin-Champions Standard (with 8th Edtion) and you'll find some horrendous mana...it was miserable. Sure, it encouraged mono-color decks, but there's a better way. Cards that encourage the use of basics are a prime example, and include Valakut and Emeria recently in Standard (Valakut decks ran 0 dual lands most of the time, encouring the use of Terramorphic Expanse and the like; card that have no chance otherwise.) Non-basic hate like Fulminator Mage and Anathemancer are okay too. With the way Wizards is encouraging the use of creatures, I'm quite surprised Rakdos Charm didn't deal 1 for each non-basic lands both players had instead of creatures...I expect some kind of hate card soon.

That Standard was horrible for a lot of reasons.

(at)MrEnglish22

Sign In to post comments