Burning Spray through Sorcerous Blade Channeling?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just realized I'd been using Burning Spray wrong. I'd get within what I figured would be needed range of my desired target, then use my attack, figuring it was the target location radious of 3 by 3 squares. Watching Chris Perkins, he made note of the diference between Burst and Blast. Burst meaning my character is "ground zero".

Now I'm wondering(and hoping)that Sorcerous Blade Channeling can be used with Burning Spray, though I doubt it because SBC turns Ranged spells into melee. And because of "ranged", I doubt it also applies to "burst" .

I'm ready for the hard truth; am I right in feeling SBC does not work with burst spells?
Burning Spray is a Close Blast. A Close Blast originates from any square adjacent to you, and is an X by X by X cube, where X is the size. So Burning Spray is a 3x3x3 cube.

U
XXX
XXX
XXX

U
XXX
XXX
XXX

U
XXX
XXX
XXX

U
  XXX
  XXX
  XXX

"U" is the user of the blaster, xxx is the blast. There are even more possible configurations (if you are flanked by two Large creatures, you can put the burst above your head and hit both of them, one to either side).

SBC does nothing for Burning Spray though, that part is correct.
*slaps own forehead* Man, I have GOT to pay closer attention .

I was worried about playing it wrong(I did with SBC), and in my worry, I thought I saw "burst" instead of "blast".

So, unless the spell specifically says "range", SBC will not work with it, right? 
*slaps own forehead* Man, I have GOT to pay closer attention .

I was worried about playing it wrong(I did with SBC), and in my worry, I thought I saw "burst" instead of "blast".

So, unless the spell specifically says "range", SBC will not work with it, right? 

Correct. Which makes the feat basically useless, but there you are.
Well, with my extremely short time playing 4e, I'm figuring there must be situations that would call for it, but I digress(and might swap it out) .

On a side note, and please forgive me for asking a question in ignorance, as I am still re-learning D&D, but if any of my allies are in the area of my blast(Burning Spray for example), must either they or I roll to determine if they get hit as well? 
Well, with my extremely short time playing 4e, I'm figuring there must be situations that would call for it, but I digress(and might swap it out) .

On a side note, and please forgive me for asking a question in ignorance, as I am still re-learning D&D, but if any of my allies are in the area of my blast(Burning Spray for example), must either they or I roll to determine if they get hit as well? 

No, it really is useless. The amount of effort you'd have go to to make it do anything useful is trivially achieved by other options. Working hard to make a bad option mediocre is never as good as taking a good option in the first place.

If the target line says "Enemies in Blast" then no, if it says "Creatures in Blast" then yes, you roll to see if you hit them. Positioning of blasts/bursts can be important that way.
Thank you, on both counts.

And I know . Ended up senging my shifter druid's fur with burning spray trying to hit what I would later find out were nothing more than minions(could have just stabbed them with my dagger). On top of that, I got a 1 on an attack attempt to shoot Dragonfrost(ranged)over the head of my halfling ally. We have fun with "crittical misses", so my dragonfrost fell short, hitting the halfling instead.
for completness sake close blast attacks do not provoke attacks of opportunity

Sorcerous Blade Channeling

Heroic Tier Prerequisite: Sorcerer Benefit: When you use any ranged sorcerer attack power through a dagger, you can use the power as a melee attack. If you do so, the power’s range equals your melee reach.

SBC handy to prevent attacks of opportunity when using ranged attacks - but sorcerers (and wiz) have a close blast 3 at will for those situations  

also does not have powers do not have weapon keyword so melee attacks do not at weapon proficieny bonus  

Some DMs would read that as making Dragonfrost into an MBA, which would mean that you wouldn't need Ensorcelled Blade.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Some DMs would read that as making Dragonfrost into an MBA, which would mean that you wouldn't need Ensorcelled Blade.

They'd be wrong to do so and advice on the Rules forum shouldn't focus around encouraging people to be wrong about the rules.
True. There are some weird things that you might be able to do with power of skill (which makes things into "basic attacks", for which we must assume that a ranged power is an RBA and a melee power is an MBA) but that is a corner case, and for divine bolts, you already have staff of channeled invocations.

Edit: I'm tired, ignore me, it only works for sorc powers.

I guess the best thing is that it allows you to RBA someone in the face without provoking when the leader grants you an attack.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein