Duels 2014 Deck requests

314 posts / 0 new
Last post
Post your Duels 2014 deck requests here.

Here's a deck I made for the modding community that I'm enjoying currently:

Dead Reckoning

Creatures:

1 x  Angel of Serenity 
2 x  Archon of Justice
4 x  Drogskol Captain
1 x  Drogskol Reaver
1 x  Dust Elemental
1 x  Karmic Guide
2 x  Mnemonic Wall 
1 x  Reveillark
2 x  Voice of All
4 x  Wall of Reverence
2 x  Kor Sanctifiers

Instants / Sorceries:

1 x  Counterbore
3 x  Cryptic Command
1 x  Defy Death
2 x  Gifts Ungiven
1 x  Planar Cleansing
1 x  Psychic Spiral
4 x  Swords to Plowshares
2 x  Wrath of God

Lands:

4 x  Glacial Fortress
7 x  Island
1 x  Mystifying Maze
7 x  Plains
1 x  Reliquary Tower
4 x  Tundra
I request Random Deck (option) ;)
@iHARBiNG3R

Want this decklist
Maybe I'm just strange, but I rather like semi-complicated infinite combos. Galvanic Alchemist + Axebane Guardian is one of my favorite combos to use in MTG:O.

Land: 24

Creatures: 20
[deck]3 Overgrown Battlement
4 Fog Bank
3 Gatecreeper Vine
4 Axebane Guardian
3 Galvanic Alchemist
3 Vent Sentinel[/deck]

Instants and Sorceries: 16
[deck]3 Increasing Confusion
3 Devil's Play
4 Tracker's Instincts
4 Forbidden Alchemy
2 Psychic Spiral[/deck]
Honestly, the only way I'm going to be happy is if they just let us create our own decks.

Decks they should add? I'm tired of single color decks (Red burn decks, blue control decks, etc.), I want decks around interesting themes. Like Mill in 2013 or Eldrazi in 2012 but still can hold up against people who just choose aggro decks that win before you even play a creature (which both of those decks get wrecked by aggro).
It may be offtop of a kind but - a little more flavour. Not only in cards themselves (which are already made), but in whole game. It'll be fun if connections between decks will be clear. There are some quite good examples of describing the relationships between Guilds of Ravnica (Borborygmos, Drooling Groodion, Assault zeppelid). And in 2012 loading screens were the hints about the links between planeswalkers. Hope it'll be raised to the new level in 2014.
I'd like the ability to create our own decks as well, but even if WOTC allows Stainless to implement such a feature sometime down the road, it would be a separate game mode.  Preconstructed would still be necessary.

Also, the control deck in my first post wins more often than not vs. revenge Goblin Gangland, and mostly stomps the other aggro decks.  But I do agree that aggro decks are one dimensional and boring which is why I neither play nor construct them.
I think deck building should be the same. In the place of free deck building, I propose that Commander (Elder Dragon Highlander)  should be introduced, which would utilize the entire card pool along with the ability to choose from a wide variety of legendary creatures to use as commanders.
I think deck building should be the same. In the place of free deck building, I propose that Commander (Elder Dragon Highlander)  should be introduced, which would utilize the entire card pool along with the ability to choose from a wide variety of legendary creatures to use as commanders.

Read an interview that brought that question up to the developers, and they said because duels is aimed at newer players they aren't going to put EDH in to 2014. due to it being 100 cards and all 1 of's it makes deck building for new players very difficult and they don't want that to happen. even though EDH is a favorite at WOTC. Including the entire card pool would ruin magic online and thus won't ever happen. I doubt even building a deck using the pool of cards from each deck in the game won't happen either. how great it would be using cards from each deck to put together a masterpiece, which is a deck builder like myself's dream.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Read an interview that brought that question up to the developers, and they said because duels is aimed at newer players they aren't going to put EDH in to 2014. due to it being 100 cards and all 1 of's it makes deck building for new players very difficult and they don't want that to happen. even though EDH is a favorite at WOTC. Including the entire card pool would ruin magic online and thus won't ever happen. I doubt even building a deck using the pool of cards from each deck in the game won't happen either. how great it would be using cards from each deck to put together a masterpiece, which is a deck builder like myself's dream.

It's crying shame long time players like us lose out in situations like that. It would have made for some epic battles for sure.

It's crying shame long time players like us lose out in situations like that. It would have made for some epic battles for sure.

I agree, Although it would require SO many cards to be encoded, if done nicely and given a nice selection of generals with cards already assigned to each general and it also comes with unlocks would be a blast. but were talking adding 1000 cards into the system if not more
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Cool, a thread that I can express that I would like to see a Ramp/Rampage deck, featuring the likes of Fastbond, Craw Giant, and Doubling Chant.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

I'd like to see a merfolk deck. or an artifact deck built around Modular using the Arcbound artifact creatures like Arcbound Stinger
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
B/G Fat Ramp - going to see if I can do a full 75 card pool.

Fatties (15):
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Ancient Ooze
Avenger of Zendikar
2x Rampaging Baloths
2x Rhox
Primeval Titan
Hornet Queen
Hundroog
Walker of the Grove
Woodfall Primus
Worldspine Wurm
Tar Fiend
Skeletal Vampire

Other creatures (30):
2x Oracle of Mul Daya
3x Viridian Emissary
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
2x Vinelasher Kudzu
3x Acidic Slime
2x Imperiosaur
3x Grazing Gladehart
Desecrator Hag
2x Disciple of Bolas
2x Infectious Host
Deity of Scars
2x Hag Hedge-Mage
2x Korozda Guildmage
2x Noxious Hatchling
Vhati il-Dal
Spiritmonger

Spells (30):
Pernicious Deed
2x Putrefy
Maelstrom Pulse
4x Explore
3x Cultivate
Necrologia
Dregs of Sorrow
Decree of Pain
2x Rowen
3x Prey Upon
Exsanguinate
Hex
2x Sylvan Bounty
Crush of Wurms
One Dozen Eyes
2x Rancor
2x Khalni Heart Expedition
Seer's Sundial

As to which are the base cards and which are unlocks, well...that's more effort than I care for at the moment. Might revisit it later. The card quality is probably just a tad too high, but hey. I left a lot of potentially nice stuff out; equips, Asceticism...just so much to choose from with a theme no more constraining than "fat things" and "interacts with lands."

EDIT: Dropped Avatar of Woe, Gleancrawler, and Rune-Scarred Demon for decks in 2013 featuring them better. Dropped Sisters of Stone Death and Doomgape for not really serving a purpose, and one Hundroog was enough, especially with 2x Sylvan Bounty. Add Kozilek because it felt wrong to ramp and not do at least one Eldrazi, so I took the easiest to kill one. Used the extra slots to increase the Landfall theme and add a pair of Rancor, as well as up the number of commons in the deck. The deck lacks any direct way to get Ob Noxious, but I included plenty of draw, which is synergistic with ramping anyhow. Ramping is much better when you can keep your hand full.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

And - may be Planeswalkers cards?
A G/B landfall deck, featuring Ob nixillis.  
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"
Hrrm, it's a tad bit disjointed, and no one's going to run 20 or even 15 fatties. I'm going to go back up and edit that just a tad. Will drop to 15 fatties, figuring those are going to be most of the unlocks...going from cruddier fatties to better ones. 

Actually, let's just do this:

Base
Ancient Ooze
2x Rhox
Tar Fiend
Skeletal Vampire
Worldspine Wurm
Hundroog
Walker of the Grove
Hornet Queen
2x Rowen
2x Sylvan Bounty
2x Infectious Host
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
3x Grazing Gladehart
Acidic Slime
4x Explore
3x Cultivate
3x Prey Upon
3x Viridian Emissary
2x Hag Hedge-Mage

Unlocks:
Avenger of Zendikar
2x Rampaging Baloths
Woodfall Primus
2x Oracle of Mul Daya
2x Acidic Slime
2x Vinelasher Kudzu
2x Imperiosaur
Desecrator Hag
2x Disciple of Bolas
2x Korozda Guildmage
2x Noxious Hatchling
2x Putrefy
Dregs of Sorrow
Exsanguinate
Crush of Wurms
One Dozen Eyes
2x Rancor
2x Khalni Heart Expedition
Seer's Sundial

Promos:
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Pernicious Deed
Primeval Titan
Spiritmonger
Necrologia
Maelstrom Pulse
Decree of Pain
Vhati il-Dal
Deity of Scars
Hex

I really hope they use this or something like it, actually. I'm a big fan of any deck with ramp, draw, and removal. Wish I'd found room for a couple of recycling cards like Recover, but we've had Debtors' Knell for a couple of years now so I can let WB handle that.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

An interesting idea that would bridge the gap between DotP and MTGO without taking market share from MTGO might be creating a separate game mode with a separate ranking that you pay maybe $10 bucks for that let's you choose any 2 decks (but no more than 2) and combine them into a new deck. The possibilities would be massive, but it would still only utilize the cards in DotP and you would only be allowed to choose from 152 cards (76 from each of 2 different decks that you've chosen to combine). Probably still wouldn't happen but it sounds like a far more reasonable middle ground than some people have asked for. To me this isn't too unrealistic of an idea...
I don't have a full decklist, but I'd like a good U/W deck that isn't forced into an aura strategy (or a mill strategy for that matter). Some cards I'd like to see would be:

Court Hussar
Deft Duelist
Plumeveil
Detention Sphere
Fall of the Gavel
Dramatic Rescue
Hussar Patrol
Azorius Herald
Judge's Familiar
Skymark Roc
Supreme Verdict
Drogskol Captain
Drogskol Reaver
Geist of Saint Traft
Hindering Light
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp2013/ Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/ I am Blue/White

Interesting deck. My only complaint is not having at least 2 Plumeveils.
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp2013/ Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/ I am Blue/White

Well, I went with two themes; flying/unblockable aggro, and spirits. There's some control cards in there - probably not enough - but largely it's a completely different UW than what we're used to. There's a slight lifegain mini-theme but it's more incidental than anything.

Mono Wizard tribal would be great. Granted, it wouldn't be anywhere near this powerful.

Lands: 23

Creatures: 11
[deck]3 Stonybrook Banneret
1 Ertai, Wizard Adept
2 Patron Wizard
1 Azami, Lady of Scrolls
2 Magus of the Future
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
1 Arcanis the Omnipotent[/deck]

Instants + Sorceries: 19
[deck]3 Brainstorm
3 Ponder
3 Preordain
4 Counterspell
4 Into the Roil
2 Rewind
1 Evacuation[/deck]

Enchantments: 5
[deck]3 Jace's Erasure
2 Leyline of Anticipation[/deck]

Artifacts: 2
[deck]1 Venser's Journal[/deck]
I can probably do a couple of more of these if someone leaves me at least a half-dozen cards and/or a theme to build around.

Well, I went with two themes; flying/unblockable aggro, and spirits. There's some control cards in there - probably not enough - but largely it's a completely different UW than what we're used to. There's a slight lifegain mini-theme but it's more incidental than anything.

Yeah, I liked the lifegain sub-theme, especially with the reaver, dramatic rescue, fall of the gavel, and the herald. It may not be the standard U/W control deck, but I would be very pleased to see something similar to this show up in 2014.

Yeah, I liked the lifegain sub-theme, especially with the reaver, dramatic rescue, fall of the gavel, and the herald. It may not be the standard U/W control deck, but I would be very pleased to see something similar to this show up in 2014.

Well, amusingly, I went aggro mostly due to Geist of Saint Traft. I really should have included at least one good aura or equip for Geist, but there's some bounce, counter, and theft to help him survive a combat. At least this feels Azorius, with some counters and rule-setting cards (and a couple of cards that say Azorius.)

I've posted these deck ideas a million times before and I will post them again because I absoultey want these decks:

- a Naya themed deck with [C]Godsire[/C], [C]Mayael the Anima[/C] and [C]Wrath of God[/C].
- a good dragon deck with ramp, burn and huge finishers like [C]Hellkite Overlord[/C]
- a mono :G: Spider Control deck
- :G::W: Soulbond deck with [C]Silverblade Paladin[/C] and [C]Wolfir Silverheart[/C]
- :G::B::U: Selfmill with [C]Splinterfright[/C]
- :R::W::B: Control with [C]Kaalia of the Vast[/C].
- :B::W: Human Sac deck with stuff like [C]Ravenous Demon[/C] and [C]Gather the Townsfolk[/C]
- :R::G: Werewolves
- :U::W: Miracles
- :G::B: Infect deck (RedRevolution would be so happy)

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

2012 kind of soured people on tribal decks, so I'm going to avoid a lot of these ideas (and much as I like Infect, I'm also perfectly aware of popular opinion regarding it and won't touch it unless I'm paid to) but this one interests me largely because if gives me an excuse to use quite a few niche cards.

Base:
4x Rampant Growth
3x Farhaven Elf
2x Hermit Druid
3x Mulch
2x Splinterfright
Mortivore
2x Anurid Barkripper
2x Boneyard Wurm
Dirty Wererat
2x Dreamborn Muse
3x Ghastly Demise
2x Krosan Beast
3x Screeching Skaab
Trepanation Blade
4x Deep Analysis

Unlocks:
Mortivore
Mirror-Mad Phantasm
Lord of Extinction
Brawn
Wonder
2x Body Double
Cairn Wanderer
Ghoultree
Gigapede
2x Kessig Cagebreakers
Lhurgoyf
Moldgraf Monstrosity
3x Doomed Necromancer
Necrotic Ooze
2x Terravore
Bonehoard
Trepanation Blade
3x Call of the Herd
2x Deadly Allure
3x Dream Twist

Promo:
The Mimeoplasm
Lord of Extinction
Mirror-Mad Phantasm
Eternal Witness
Genesis
Bonehoard
Trepanation Blade
Increasing Ambition
Increasing Confusion 

Now I really want to see that spider control deck in 2014 as well. However, I think you put in a few too many good equipments. I'd say have no more than 2-3 of them, otherwise the deck is pushing to be a bit too good, especially when you start putting Sword of Vengence on things with deathtouch.
How can you have Lhurgoyf without Ach! Hans, run! (need to click to see card)(see flavour text).

Also I fear mana web will be more powerful in duels of the planeswalkers than in real magic (in real magic you could tap all your lands in response to the artifact triggering, then save the mana (until the end of the phase/step) for other things, in duels you wouldn't have this option of 'floating' mana).

Also self mill without some dredge cards? 
Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy... --- http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29193605/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List --- Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

2012 kind of soured people on tribal decks, so I'm going to avoid a lot of these ideas (and much as I like Infect, I'm also perfectly aware of popular opinion regarding it and won't touch it unless I'm paid to) but this one interests me largely because if gives me an excuse to use quite a few niche cards.

Base:
4x Rampant Growth
3x Farhaven Elf
2x Hermit Druid
3x Mulch
2x Splinterfright
Mortivore
2x Anurid Barkripper
2x Boneyard Wurm
Dirty Wererat
2x Dreamborn Muse
3x Ghastly Demise
2x Krosan Beast
3x Screeching Skaab
Trepanation Blade
4x Deep Analysis

Unlocks:
Mortivore
Mirror-Mad Phantasm
Lord of Extinction
Brawn
Wonder
2x Body Double
Cairn Wanderer
Ghoultree
Gigapede
2x Kessig Cagebreakers
Lhurgoyf
Moldgraf Monstrosity
3x Doomed Necromancer
Necrotic Ooze
2x Terravore
Bonehoard
Trepanation Blade
3x Call of the Herd
2x Deadly Allure
3x Dream Twist

Promo:
The Mimeoplasm
Lord of Extinction
Mirror-Mad Phantasm
Eternal Witness
Genesis
Bonehoard
Trepanation Blade
Increasing Ambition
Increasing Confusion 

i also made self mill deck on the first page, although it lacked variety. I would love to see one for sure.

Now I really want to see that spider control deck in 2014 as well. However, I think you put in a few too many good equipments. I'd say have no more than 2-3 of them, otherwise the deck is pushing to be a bit too good, especially when you start putting Sword of Vengence on things with deathtouch.

I intentionally pushed the number of good equips, figuring most decks will be able to blow up or steal 2-3 of them, so that you'll get to keep at least one. I'm thinking along the lines of Wielding Steel from 2012. I was also amused at including Skullclamp in a deck with no one toughness creatures. It might actually be balanced here.

Of course without a method of testing all these decks I'm making, I can only guess how balanced they are from my history with the game. I'm not following any strict number of rarities or anything, just going with what "feels right." I could possibly up the number of 3+ power spiders and drop a couple of equips, but I think nine equips with no way to hunt them out and only a bit of draw probably means seeing 2-3 per game in 2HG, just about on par with the amount I expect to get destroyed.

Also, regarding Mana Web, it was included in part on the Web theme, but moreover the idea was that it made you proof against counterspells if someone main phases anything blue, and helps against removal. Obviously stronger against mono-coloured decks. I think it'd be fine though.

Dredge was avoided due to it being, well, grossly over-powered. I considered at least some Stinkweed Imps or Golgari Grave-Trolls, but ultimately decided the deck was better off with lower levels of combo-ickiness. It is, however, the deck I'm the most worried about being any good due primarily to the likelihood of mana issues. I have UU, GG, and BB in there and unless they add a mana pool, I couldn't do anything like Transguild Promenade.

I intentionally pushed the number of good equips, figuring most decks will be able to blow up or steal 2-3 of them, so that you'll get to keep at least one. I'm thinking along the lines of Wielding Steel from 2012. I was also amused at including Skullclamp in a deck with no one toughness creatures.

There's 2 Ulvenwald Trackers in there.
I intentionally pushed the number of good equips, figuring most decks will be able to blow up or steal 2-3 of them, so that you'll get to keep at least one. I'm thinking along the lines of Wielding Steel from 2012. I was also amused at including Skullclamp in a deck with no one toughness creatures.

There's 2 Ulvenwald Trackers in there.

Yeah, which is why I was amused that Sword of Vengeance was your concern in a deck with Wither, Infect, and Deathtouch, and not the Trackers. Heh.

Heck, be glad I went with my sanity detector and did Bramblecrushes over Primal Command. That could have gotten silly. 

Well, it wasn't so much the sword of vengence, but the couple of equipments that can grant first strike or double strike to something with deathtouch, infect, or wither. Heck, infect + any equipment is dangerous.