Has anyone ever played commander like this?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
My playgroup is wanting to get into commander games. I've played quite a few games with another group, so they are all looking to me for some guidelines (poor souls). They asked why one couldn't use any creature as the General, and not limiting it to legends. I noticed the pauper thread using a non-legend card for a general, so I wonder...

Would this work? Anyone played this way? I'm thinking there are more than a few creatures that could break things, but if everyone was doing it, would it be that big a deal?
Like any other format, pauper EDH would require a refining process, depending on your meta.  Bloodbraid Elf and Woolly Thoctar themselves are beasts that can severely unbalance the format, for specific examples(your suspicions are well founded).  There's no real banlist beyond what's already used for EDH, which means you and your group would have to do the footwork to figure things out(ban the pauper commander, or something else?, basically).

With a lot of dialogue, and continued observance of gentleman agreements to not actively break every loophole one can find, it can be done.  As with most things, it depends on your group.

IMO, I think a reason for the 'legendary creatures as the commander' rule is...well, you're more ready to believe that Eron the Relentless or Captain Sisay is 'commanding' an army as opposed to a nameless giant or rats.  In reality, I bet the reason is because most legendaries have abilities that suit themselves to a deck that can be molded to a situation.  Sharuum the Hegemon is BEGGING for artifacts, whereas Rafiq of the Many sits pretty in a beatdown deck.  Uncommon cards, as good as they can be, don't often have the same synergy for an EDH deck, and more often than not, serve only to advertise to your opponent what colors you're playing(don't get me wrong...some people play legendaries for that same purpose, but not to the extent I've seen it done with uncommons).

...Truth be told, I'm not sure if I've helped you on resolving this dilemma.  So, if not...sorry.
Playing normal.commander with any creature? Lighthouse chronologist... Serra ascendant... goyf... I dunno doesn't seem as fun.

But if you're lacking in viable commanders I suppose its fine.

3DH4LIF3

Playing normal.commander with any creature? Lighthouse chronologist... Serra ascendant... goyf... I dunno doesn't seem as fun. But if you're lacking in viable commanders I suppose its fine.

Oh god Serra Ascendant would be miserable. 
I'll take a Kor Duelist or Mistmeadow Witch.

In general its not a good idea; nonlegends can have a higher power-level to cost ratio.
It's fine for pauper since our other cards are commons. Less chance for completely broken shenanigans. I wouldn't mind always having access to Deadeye Navigator or a Titan though...
I'm thinking the guy who brought this up wants to play Sublime Archangel as a general. The other 2 ppl that supported him are in the boat of not having huge collections to draw from, although we told them that they could proxy a general.

We discussed it sat night, and given that the guys that don't have a lot of good legends can proxy one, the anything-goes idea probably ain't happening.

However, with some of the ideas brought up here, I gotta say this: I think 'Goyf would be a TERRIBLE general. A big bodied fattie that does NOTHING? Fodder. Maybe it's just the particular group I play this with, but given my experience with commander, whatever you say. Really? 'Goyf? I'm willing to have an open mind here, but I think I need some explanation why...

However, with some of the ideas brought up here, I gotta say this: I think 'Goyf would be a TERRIBLE general. A big bodied fattie that does NOTHING? Fodder. Maybe it's just the particular group I play this with, but given my experience with commander, whatever you say. Really? 'Goyf? I'm willing to have an open mind here, but I think I need some explanation why...

Goyf is bad in EDH in general. No clue why anyone would think otherwise.

Granted, I've seen Isamaru voltron be made to work, so, yeah, but Isamaru is rather cheap to aquire. Personally, if I' go Voltron I'm going cat's or Raffy.

Just let the guy proxy up a general. He'll probably feel the burning need to buy more cards to suit the general no matter who he picks. But hey, I'm all for proxies in EDH. Letting people proxie up a manabase for multiplayer EDH was the best thing my beer and pretzels group ever did. 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Sign In to post comments