base attack bonus in "DnD essentials" guides

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been trying, with little luck to find a chart in my DnD Rules Compendium that explains how to compute base attack bonus for the different classes of characters. Th best that I could find was a short comment on "base attack" that says  that melee and range are the two kinds of basic attacks available to players (RC, 238) In "Heroes of the Fallen Lands," there seems to be no mention at all of the base attack bonus. Instead there is a handy chart opf attack roll modifiers. Where/how can I find instructions on how to compute base attack bonus for the various player classes? Thank you.
Attack bonus is derived from relevant ability modifier + 1/2 level + enhancement bonus + proficiency (if weapon attack) + other modifiers.

The melee basic attack is Strength modifier + 1/2 level + proficiency + enhancement bonus + other modifiers.

The ranged basic attack is the same as above for heavy thrown weapons, and replace Strength with Dexterity for all other ranged weapons.

Different classes no longer have differing attack progression.

The default attack powers are on page 26 of Heroes of the Fallen LAnds and page 239 of the Rules Compendium.
Thank you so much. That really helps. I guess I was looking right at it. I really appreciate your help. Laughing
Thank you so much. That really helps. I guess I was looking right at it. I really appreciate your help. Laughing

Bear in mind that all classes have powers or features that allow them to use their main stat for the majority of their attacks. All of a Monk's powers use Dexterity as the attacking stat. All of a Battlemind's powers use Consititution. All of an Avenger's powers use Wisdom. All of a Bard's powers use Charisma. All of these classes still use Strength for Basic Attacks unless they take a feat or feature that says otherwise, but they should be making basic attacks very rarely.  Executioners have a feature that allows them to use Dexterity instead of Strength for their basic attacks, as do Scouts and Thieves. This means that characters don't have to choose between being relevant in combat and being good at their non-combat jobs.