BUG Infect vs Affinity

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys,
I wanted to start in Modern with about a 200/250 budget and in that range these 2 deck's in particular came into thought for a decent competitive play.

However I was wondering which of these 2 perform generally better I haven't read/watched alot of Modern Tournaments as of now hence why I ask you guys for advice.

Greetings,
Affinity has historically done better.  The Infect deck did well at one GP and then disappeared.  Affinity usually gets at least one Top 8 slot in every major tournament.
Affinity has a decent buy point but most of it's must-haves won't fit into another deck later. Still, with those staples you can either run the most blisteringly fast aggro deck this side of infect or a slightly slower deck that keeps up with all of the other aggro decks except it's dudes are bigger and/or dodgier.

I'd day, for a solid deck in that range go affiblnity or storm. Either one will sometimes just hit a hate wall, but storm itself is cheap enough that you could afford, given your budget, to drop 125-175 on the manabase itself.

Affinity calls for 4x opals, 4x glimmervoid, 4x ravager and the moth based manlands. Everything else is cheap, build dependant, something that I forgot and I'll be teased about, or such a staple SB card that you should pick them up last week (I've got this spare playset of rtr pithing needles, by the way... It really is a shame that no one explained to the artist what a pithing needle is...)

Infect is cool and I so love me some shoals, but it's a little too dependant on the blindside factor. Only go that route if you really want to spend your budget on that manabase (it's such a reasonable manabase to want) and will need a deck to use it with. Which isn'y a bad way to play budget FNM, actually.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Thanks for the advice guys been digging in some event coverages and seemed Affinity did overal alot better then BUG Infect in the tournaments I think Infect is just so dependant on having a good start/hand.

And yea the Infect is nice to buy because you get the fetches that way which are usefull for other decks as well.
Allready have 1 Ravager from back in the day and prob only going to play 3 so need 2 more + the nexus lands the rest is pretty cheap in price as far as I've seen.

Soo yea prob going Affinity seems very fun and explosive to play although many have Artifact hate but oh well :P

Hmm storm is another nice idea yea although i'm not really the combo player and Tarmogoyfs.........Yea they're 60 euro a pop here... That's way to much ;D
storm costs less than 100 aside from the manabase. The fact that snapcaster is too 'clunky' helps a lot.

Infect dies to any preponderance of instant speed removal, but it's cute and your're right about it being an excellent manabase to own.

All three decks are combos, if you think about it. Infect is just 'count to ten, turn sideways' and affinity just 'explosm all over the board, turn sideways' but I heard what you mean.

Many do run hate, but Hurkyl's recall is 'just' a time walk, etc. You're so fast that they need to play 2 or land both hits of an ancient grudge or else they die. Talking to affinity player, he said that tokens from lingering souls are actually scarier, since they chump ornithopter and trade with pests/memnites.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Hmm yea that's actually a good point you brought up about lingering souls I see them becoming a pain.
Maybe main some Whipflares I guess which is also decent outside of Spirit killing in Jund can take down shamans/Confi/Bloodbraid if ever needed ;o
whipflares ruin jund decks.  you don't need "4x opals, 4x glimmervoid, 4x ravager"  my deck does fine with 3 opals, 0 glimmervoids, and 1 ravager (and ravager isn't even that good most games).
Affinity is a great deck but I think for a "bang for buck" deck storm is the way to go.  There are even multiple competetive builds for storm just find the one you enjoy the most. 
I've actually played this matchup quite a bit lately (with me playing Affinity). Basically what I do is throw chump blockers in front of their regular Infect dudes and hope they don't land the unblockable one before I hit some removal or just outright attack back for the kill. Blood moon's pretty good vs Infect...shuts off Inkmoth. Affinity also can throw down a LOT of different types of threats. Ethersworn Canonist is absolutely nuts in this matchup too, it makes it so they can only play one pump a turn...so if they do land a creature and get one hit in on you, you can just kill it.
Under no circumstances should we be considering the matchup between the two for this sort of decision.
76783093 wrote:
Sign In to post comments