Mono White as Christmas Present

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I havent played MTG in quite a while however Ive recently taken to teaching my GFs son. Im going down to my prefered card shop tomorrow to make a deck for his christmas present, I know Im running late but I had issues getting paid from work. Anyhow I want to start him off relatively simple for his first own deck so Ive chosen mono white. I am 2 cards shy of the 40 I want, only using 20 lands. since its mono with a low curve.

1 cmc
4x Cathedral Sanctifier
4x Champion of the parish
4x Cloudshift
3x Divine Deflection

2cmc
4x Elite Inquisitor
4x Bonds of Faith

3cmc
3x Silverblade Paladin
3x Fiend Hunter

4cmc
3x Angel of jubilation
3x Restoration angel

5cmc
3x Angelic Overseer

Edit: Id like to add in Faith's Shield and Mikaeus, the Lunarch but my shop is currently out of stock so what should my last 2 cards be and can I expect this deck to perform well enough so he can hold his own?
I can see the general idea of the deck. Here is what I would sugjest. Very easy to play, and has enough agro and control to win too.

A few synergies would be

Champion of the Parish + 2x Fiend Hunters - Alow the two fiend hunters to target each other as they enter play infinatly bouncing your creatures adding +1/+1 counters to Champion of the Parish.

Silverblade Paladin + Sublime Archangel - Very quick flying beatdown with that double strike

Fiend Hunter + Cloudshift/Resoration Angel - Easy to target creature removal

Ethreal Armor + Any Enchantment - Massive amounts of +1/+1 From your enchant stacking, along with double stike can make for a quick game.         

Creatures

4x [C]Champion of the Parish[/C]
4x [C]Fencing Ace[/C]       
3x [C]Silverblade Paladin[/C]
3x [C]Restoration Angel[/C]
2x [C]Sublime Archangel[/C]
3x [C]Fiend Hunter[/C] 

Spells

4x [C]Oblivion Ring[/C]  
4x [C]Cloudshift[/C]
2x [C]Cathars' Crusade[/C]
4x [C]Ethereal Armor[/C] 
4x [C]Bonds of Faith[/C]
2x [C]Sphere of Safety[/C] 

X 21 Land

Or ignore all of this and just add 2x [C]Sublime Archangel[/C] to your deck...But I dont belive at a FNM the deck would hold up. It isnt competitive enough. Casualy playing with his friends however he should have plenty of fun.
Cool, I'm also giving away a deck this Christmas.
Maybe try something like this, its relatively cheap to get and should be a decent deck.

Add in more expensive/good cards like Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Cavern of Souls, Sublime Archangel, Ajani, Caller of the Pride according to your budget.
Also you could add in some more removal like Oblivion Ring and Fiend Hunter to the main deck if you want to. Especially if you decide to exclude a sideboard for starters and just get a main deck.
If you can't get Mikaeus, the Lunarch I would go for a fourth Angel of Jubilation and fill in the remaining spots with Ajani/Fiend Hunter or some other cool card.
Precinct Captain might fit in there somewhere too, even if he does't make humans.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Precinct Captain might fit in there somewhere too, even if he does't make humans.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Oblivion ring for the last two, possibly. That'll get him started on the 'removal' debate.
76783093 wrote:
Ethreal Armor + Any Enchantment - Massive amounts of +1/+1 From your enchant stacking, along with double stike can make for a quick game.

It takes a lot of enchantments to make Ethereal Armor work effectively. Also, enchantments on creatures don't work well with Cloudshift and Restoration Angel (except Rancor in G/W decks).
Doomed Traveler is recommended in place of Cathedral Sanctifier.

Three copies of Divine Deflection are probably too many; it's only late game that you'll be leaving mana open to cast it.

You might also be playing a few too many Angels; their mana cost is a bit hard on a deck with only twenty lands. You won't always have four mana by turn four and it will often be quite late in the game before you get five. I would play maybe four of the four-drop Angels - I like Jubilation here, especially when you consider the relative prices - and I'm not sure I would play any of the Overseers.

Bonds of Faith does double duty for you and I understand that, but it's still a pretty weak card. I would run it only if I had a hexproof human on board.

Oblivion Ring is pretty standard in any deck with . I'd run at least three.

I have a similar deck and it's good fun for casual games although I wouldn't expect it to do terribly well at FNM. It probably wouldn't suck, but that's not quite the level I have in mind for FNM.Smile
I'm also giving a way a deck as a Christmas gift (to my wife). I won't post it here since it will confuse the thread (it's B/R aggro), but it's cool to see others with the same idea. My wife loves to play, but does not like building decks.
Whatever you do, I would have 2x Gather the Townsfolk and 2x Increasing Devotion. Its a great card and is a win con with Champion of the Parish or Sublime Archangel

Also I like the cloudshift idea for a low cost deck. If you do it, keep the Cathedral Snctifier and why not cut the 3x Angelic Overseer for 2x Geist-Honored Monk and 1 Angel of Glory's Rise?
Sign In to post comments