just got the dungeon survival handbook and some dark sun novels

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This dungeon survival guide is my new favorite 4e book. I liked the delves book, but this is even better. I have been running a few combats for some of my players where we have been doing difficult delves from the delve book. I think the players are ready to step up to a better challenge, because the delve book doesn't seem to slow them down much. I was playing with 4 players and I didn't pull any punches from the level 12 delve. So I am thinking about using this book to go custom on something similar to the Tomb of Horrors or Castle Ravenloft. I'm not through it all yet. Still open downstairs. But I definately recommend this book. Meant to give it to my roommate as a gift, but I will just have to get him something else or another copy. 

I also picked up three dark sun books to read on my trip to China.  
I bought all three that were available at the store today.  
Not sure what order to read them in though.
I got City Under the Sand,  Under the Crimson Sun, and Death Mark. 
I think I can read them out of order, but it seems like I want to read them in that order I believe.
When I searched I saw there was a prism pentad series.

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

grats?
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I'm not familiar with the Dark Sun novels, so I can't help you there. But send 'em my way when you're done, I'd like to read them. I also own the Dungeon Survival Guide but I haven't really tackled it yet, I've got a huge stack of stuff to get through. The Dungeon Delve was a great book too, I mined a lot of ideas from it for my own home game--either to jump start a session or as a quick and easy encounter when my players threw me a curveball. Unfortunately, I found myself changing the monsters around quite a bit because the encounters weren't always that interesting in actual play. Delves are also great foundations to set up "Lair Assault" type games.
On the Dark Sun novels:

1.City Under the Sand (October 2010), by Jeff Mariotte (ISBN 978-0-7869-5623-4)
2.Under the Crimson Sun (June 2011), by Keith R.A. DeCandido (ISBN 978-0-7869-5797-2)
3.Death Mark (December 2011), by Robert J. Schwalb (ISBN 978-0786958405)
Thanks SadClownIsSad, I appreciate it. The flight was delayed, and I am trying not to read them at all until the rescheduled date. Seems like I had somehow managed to guage the right order. It was confusing though. Death Mark starts where the Campaign Setting book starts, with the death of the King of Tyr. 

mboss77, that is exactly what I am trying to do. I really like the concept of "Lair Assault", but there are no stores by me that participate in it. So I am assembling them for my online players. For the next one I am going to make a Minotaur labyrinth. The labyrinth was made by peaceful minotaurs I decided. 
I also chose a reward, a wish scroll.
However, I am not sure what it is that has taken over the labyrinth. I know I am going to go with the dynamic dungeon discussed on page 151 of the dungeon survival book.  And I really like what it says on page 143 about the Minotaur and their labyrinth. 

I was sort of thinking that Kobolds have mined into it. And that this group of Minotaur just hate even the sight of Kobolds, sort of like the way that some cows hate mice or rats. But I am not sure. Then I am also concerned about the scope fo the labyrinth. I would like to make the labyrinth, and keep most of it empty so that the players can get a feel for the maze element. I think I want just three encounters in it though.  

One of my players is kind of slow on his turn, so it might take two nights, so the last encounter can be big as it will be on the second night most likely. At least that is how the level 12 delve from the delve book went, the Emerald Dawn one by Greg Marks. 

For now I am thinking about that stuff, just enjoying the process and not hurrying. I am looking at donjon.bin.sh/4e/dungeon/ for some vague layouts. I like the site pretty good for concept work, or name generation.  

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Total Time so far: 2.5
1 hour making
1 hour getting hosed by the draw tool

a section of the 20 8x8s by 20 8x8s, or 160x160 maze/labyrinth
i.imgur.com/BVcNX.jpg

Pretty sure that through the following copyright allowance I could post a the maptools file of the emerald dawn delve twelve most places, but not sure if it is allowed here.  

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use. 

Here it is unless someone removes the file.
docs.google.com/open?id=0B356vjBW3s1UaHp...

Finished the first two books. I was kind of dissapointed that neither of them were new authors. But I liked the books even though my favorite characters from each book died off nearly immediately in The City Under the Sand and Under the Crimson Sun.

For everyone just joining us, welcome to Baja's blog. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Sign In to post comments