12/31/2012 Feature: "Gatecrash Diaries"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's "Gatecrash Diaries", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I'll never look at Chronic Flooding the same way again...

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

It's good to hear Mark Gottlieb's maniacal cackling again Smile

Question for the designers: with all the trouble  you had coming up with good mechanics, don't you feel you're running out of design space for new keyworded mechanics?
Some of these look very far-fetched and not reusable at all. I would assume a mechanic is only worth keywording if you plan to use it again.
Knowing that Mark Rosewater fought for milling to be Dimir's keyword makes me like him a lot more. I would usually be super sad that Dimir's keyword didn't end up being mill-related, but Cipher is awesome and apparently there are going to be many milling cards in the set anyway so I'm happy.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Hey, my great uncle coined the term Gridlock!
It's good to hear Mark Gottlieb's maniacal cackling again

Question for the designers: with all the trouble  you had coming up with good mechanics, don't you feel you're running out of design space for new keyworded mechanics?
Some of these look very far-fetched and not reusable at all. I would assume a mechanic is only worth keywording if you plan to use it again.

They have mentioned that because the guild mechanics only had to be used on fewer cards than normal (just in 2 sets, sharing the spotlight with 4 other primary mechanics) they were specifically looking for mechanics that were more niche, wouldn't hold their own as bigger mechanics and thus had less chance to be printed anywhere else.
Sewer Grate was a very flavourful concept. I'm disapointed that it ended up as Codex Shredder, which isn't at all city-related and doesn't feel as connected to the effect.
Well, now I'm torn between wanting MaGo to write more articles or lead more sets.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
It's been said before, but for all that Return to Ravnica was pretty neat, the city flavor wasn't as strong as I expected, especially in Selesnya.  For a world-city setting there shouldn't be much nature left, so I'd expect more cards like Selesnya Sagittars or Trophy Hunter, and playing up the more communal aspects of Selesnya rather than the nature-loving part.  Use teams of humans/elves/etc. for the larger power & toughnesses to keep with the "civilized" flavor, not random beasts.  The beasts can be kept mostly to Gruul, the sole truly nature-friendly faction.

Anyway, I'm glad that Gatecrash may remedy this deficit somewhat. 
It's been said before, but for all that Return to Ravnica was pretty neat, the city flavor wasn't as strong as I expected, especially in Selesnya.  For a world-city setting there shouldn't be much nature left, so I'd expect more cards like Selesnya Sagittars or Trophy Hunter, and playing up the more communal aspects of Selesnya rather than the nature-loving part.  Use teams of humans/elves/etc. for the larger power & toughnesses to keep with the "civilized" flavor, not random beasts.  The beasts can be kept mostly to Gruul, the sole truly nature-friendly faction.

Anyway, I'm glad that Gatecrash may remedy this deficit somewhat. 

They've alluded to the Wilds Initiative a couple times but haven't explained it fully yet. The implication is that there is an eco-revival going on, which all the green guilds get in on in different ways, like the Selesnya preferring ordered gardens.
Simic is now also more about savage nature than about biology. 
Sign In to post comments