Age group for magic?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone,

I used to play a lot of magic in highschool and in university about 7 or 8 years back, and I basically got out of the game before the Masques block came out.

I started playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, and I'm really enjoying it, and it made me feel like playing again. In duels, the decks are rather prohibitive and one of the things I liked about magic was just creating a ton of decks.

I was curious - who plays magic these days? Do people in their late twenties still play? Is it common? Seeing that the prices of the cards in standard hasn't really changed all that much - or maybe they got more expensive - I gotta think this isn't a hobby for 12 year olds. But you never know. Is the community pretty diverse, or if I were to show up to a magic tournament, would I look really strange in a group of 12 year olds? LOL.

If this question offends people, sorry in advance. Gotta love the Internet.
My regular shop has 10 year olds and 50 year olds show up for FNM almost every week.  For the big events (i.e. Prereleases), some of the parents bring their really little kids (like 6-7 year olds) to play, and a few older players show up.

The other shop in town has tournaments run by a guy who's probably 60+.

I have yet to see any one who looks out of place just because they're older/younger.  I'd say the average age of the typical player is probably low to mid 20s.
I'd say average at FNM type events (At least in my area) is high school to 30ish, but there's always a handful of people older than that and they don't really seem out of place.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
If you're old enough to read and young enough to not be dead, you can play magic.  I've met some super old people at FNMs.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
The oldest guys where I play are in our late 30's. The youngest are mid-teens.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

42 years old, 17 years of MTG in my life, still going strong. Although I spend very little time at local FNM events. Maybe twice a month?

FNM shops around here tend to be mostly younger players, and there is very much a different mindset with younger players. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. It's amazing how, and how much, the game has evolved, and also amazing how much of the old-school mindset can just obliterate some newer players who never experienced MTG in the "simpler" days.

That being said, I think what you may find making you "stick out" isn't your age, it'll be your playstyle.
I think the oldest at my usual shop is around 50? I'm 19 and go a lot with my friends who are around the same age, and there are some kids around 12 or 13, very much an all ages game.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I guess that's good to know. I wonder if there are any good places to play in Mississauga then.

Since I no longer have my old cards (a shame honestly, I had some really good stuff back then), I'd probably just play with newer cards. I think I'd rather play with the new cards anyway - they seem different and cool to me, and the artwork is just amazing on them.

The cards also don't seem as broken as they were in Urza's Saga block ;) While some cards like Angel of Serenity seem really amazing to me, at least they cost a lot to play. I used to run the Time Spiral deck - my last tournament deck I played - and as much as I won, I gotta admit it was totally cheap as hell. Stuff like that shouldn't be allowed. There should never have been a combo deck that was mono blue.

I looked over the cards from Return to Ravnica and M13, and I am most impressed with green and white. Of course, when I saw Supreme Verdict, I was also blown away.
I'm thirty-one years old and I just returned to the game after a decade and a half off to find that it's as strong as it ever was, and just as much fun. Screw age, sex, and any of that other stuff people draw arbitrary lines over: I'd just as gladly play Magic with both a fifty-year-old man and his eleven-year-old daughter, provided they put their hearts into it and knew what they were doing.

Disclaimer: I'm referring to a LGS environment; I do not spend my time hanging out with children who I've neither sired nor adopted.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
I agree witha lot of other people. I wouldnt say there really isnt age limit set for magic, as long as youre able to understand and follow the rules, and most importantly enjoy yourself, there isnt a problem. Im hitting 20 next year and I'm pretty heavey into the game.
If you're old enough to read and young enough to not be dead, you can play magic.

Says you .  
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
At the couple of stores in this area, age varies from around 10 yrs old to over 40.  However, most players are in their early mid 20's (which isn't surprising since Duke and NC State are near by).  I wouldn't think anyone should be intimidated; however, I'm not sure how much fun the younger players are really having.  I generally only go to FNM or pre-releases if my son is interested.  I'm not looking to get any points out of wins, so I'll usually tank on purpose to a young kid.  Still, they're going home with at least 6 losses, and I know my young one at least can have a hard time with the dissapointment.
Hmmm, alzabo; that'd be a hard one for me to do. I'm competitive by nature and while I'd get no satisfaction whatsoever about stomping a child in a tournament, the judges don't care whether you lose by concession to a six-year-old or because someone duped a pro's Resto-Thrag deck and crushed you. I wouldn't even let my kids play at an FNM (though I haven't taught either of the older two to play yet) for this very reason: I'd be bandaging their pride for days thereafter.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
I'm 44, most of the people I play with are mid 20s to mid 30s.  I have a couple friends around my age that play, and at my LGS we get a couple high schoolers and the occational 12 to 13 year old kid.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
I've been pwn3d by a six-year-old. *covers face in shame* I've also played guy who looked like he was in his 50s.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I've been pwn3d by a six-year-old.

I had a week where my first round was against a 10 year old girl who I easily beat. My second round was against the other 10 year old girl who was there that week. Once again, an easy victory. My third round was against a person who wasn't a 10 year old girl and I was absolutely demolished. I definitely felt like a shining example of humanity at that point.

Not that being a 10 year old girl precludes you from demolishing people. Had another week where one of the girls was running a signficantly more effective combo deck (SplinterTwin maybe? I don't remember, it was a while ago) and both myself and one of my friends lost to her in different rounds.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I played in high school....long break....played again in earlytwenties.....long break lol. I am 28/f and I currently play. I personally think that a huge reason mtg is so strong is because it appeals to young kids, young adults and the older crowd. It can be casual and fun or heavily competitive.  
U.S Army Vet, Mother & Wife, Pre-med student, Tatted/Pierced, Avid fantasy novel reader, Doodler/Photoshop-er of random things etc etc... I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
In my area there are a lot of shops and age groups vary. There is definitely a shop that has a reputation for being mostly high school kids while other shops is only people 20 something and up who are bringing brews and teir 1 decks to test for tournaments. You just need to go out and feel out what the scene is. 
A shop nearby has a 6 year old that plays and sometimes wins. He is the shop owners kid and his deck is very simple , but he does not need any help from his parents and is able to hold his own. 
U.S Army Vet, Mother & Wife, Pre-med student, Tatted/Pierced, Avid fantasy novel reader, Doodler/Photoshop-er of random things etc etc... I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
both myself and one of my friends lost to her in different rounds.

Oh my god, the Spike-tears would be delicious.
I once played against a kid that was 10-11 yrs old. Got beat the first game, he sideboarded, I didn't, and I proceeded to crush him the following two games. But the greatest part about all of this was his reaction. He lost two games, and then proceeded to spout all the ways and reasons he should have beaten me, cause my deck was "jank". Just sitting there getting lectured on MTG by an 11 yr old was worth the price of admission.
Literally lol'd. xD

11-year-old Spikes are great, when they're not whiny brats (though I can understand being upset losing to Search the City/Misthollow Griffin.dec while piloting competitive Jund midrange; made fun of him so much).
I don't think I've ever played against any whiny brats under the age of fourteen. Most of the whiners I've played against are usually guys in their late teens/early twenties who just assume that they should beat me because they're playing a tournament-winning deck or because they only draft "good" cards. Those same guys tend to keep greedy hands and then moan about mana-screw.

All in all, I prefer playing with kids. In an FNM scenario, I try to find a happy medium where I still win, but they get to play their favorite spells before that happens. Innocent
I've been pwn3d by a six-year-old. *covers face in shame* I've also played guy who looked like he was in his 50s.

I'm 46, my daughter is eight. She probably has a winning record against me, and I don't let her win (but I do build her decks). She doesn't need any help. I've encouraged her to play in store events, but I she's too shy to play with strangers (which is understandable). I'm hoping she'll make her store event debut in the Magic Celebration next year and I'm convinced she'll be able to win some games.

At my FNM store, we have about 4-5 regulars in the 12-13 age range, and then people in their 20s/30s and a few above. Not so many teenagers.
I would have to agree with most everyone, no age limit. Just as long as you have fun and understand the game. I am in my mid twenties and play with a few of the same age group and a few in their 17-18 range. I hardly ever attend FNMs, as I only play vintage, i dislike how narrow the choices in type 2 are.
At my local store most of the players are 18-mid 20's I am 30 and I have been playing since middle school which was the erra of Revised. We do have some younger kids that play but I haven't seen them since I stopped playing standard. Now I mostly stick to the legacy tournaments, drafts and pre-releases which usually draw an older crowd. We do have a couple of much older players as well.

Edit: I have a 10 month old son and I eagerly await the day he is old enough to start learning to play magic. I hope that someday I can take him to FNM and other tournaments. We will have to see if he is into it at all and if I am still playing the game in 6 or 7 years.
I'm in my 40's and have played since The Dark. 

I mainly play FNM standard.  The average age at my local store seems to be 20 something but there are 5-6 older than that and a few younger.  It's probably harder to kids to be out later at night but more younger kids play on Saturday magic.

Age doesn't seem to be much of a barrier in magic.  It's more related to being able to acquire good cards, and environmental factors like travel, safety etc.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
I don't think I've ever played against any whiny brats under the age of fourteen. Most of the whiners I've played against are usually guys in their late teens/early twenties who just assume that they should beat me because they're playing a tournament-winning deck or because they only draft "good" cards. Those same guys tend to keep greedy hands and then moan about mana-screw.

All in all, I prefer playing with kids. In an FNM scenario, I try to find a happy medium where I still win, but they get to play their favorite spells before that happens. 

totally agree, I've not found many whiney little ones, but have found more whiney 20ish year olds because they have tournament decks or have all the expensive cards

to the OP:
it depends on each store. One store i go to is primarily mid 20's and older, and another store is 12-65. 

----------------------- I’m going to TRANSFORM him, and unleash the savage instincts that lie hidden within… . [

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/18.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/class/images/banners/Avenger.jpg)

I am White/Green
I am White/Green