Using action points on other's turns

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This scene came into mind the other day after reading the Wyrm Form sorcerer spell.

A small comrad of mine is near death, I'm in dragon form and one movement would put me in position to block the next wave of fire(literal fire)that is about to hit my friend. I have an extreme high resistance to it and am on very good health. I use 1 action point, on the turn of the one casting the fatal wave of fire at my friend. I use that 1 point to get between my friend and the flames, the flames crash against me, doing no damage, and my friend is unharmed by them.

If possible, in dragon form, I'd like to surround my near-dead ally, and cover him, protecting him from the fire. I don't know if D&D 4E has a "cover system". Just now, I think back to Final Fantasy 2, and the main hero's "cover" ability. An attack would be made on an ally, he'd step in and take the damage instead.

Anyway, could I utilize my action point like that? Or is the action limited to only my turn? 
From the Compendium, under 'Action Points':
Spend an Action Point
         Action: Free action. A creature must have an action point in order to take this action. Also, the creature can take this action only during its turn, and never during a surprise round.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I figured as much Frown.

Well, it was a nice thought anyway.

Thank you. 
That said, the "Rule of Cool" principle would allow for it - it's a unique, dramatic moment, and sometimes it's okay to allow off-label use of things, ESPECIALLY action points, in those circumstances.
rule of cool is something that I like to allow when it's something like the OP describes.  Saving an ally, RP, etc..  It's all good !
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

That said, the "Rule of Cool" principle would allow for it - it's a unique, dramatic moment, and sometimes it's okay to allow off-label use of things, ESPECIALLY action points, in those circumstances.

Agreed. DMG p.42 allows for cool stunts that may not technically be allowed via the rules.

Dude, it's cool. Just ask me when the time comes. I'll probably decide based on circumstance. For example, if Adimis has full hp and no actions left on his turn, and Rayn is unconscious with a black dragon ready to spray his arse, Adimis can probably use an action point to save his buddy, in human or dragon form, and garner the lament of fair maidens across the realm. It'll be circumstancial, though, which will make Adrian say "Now, wait a minute..."
You can also use your action point and Ready an Action, though this only works if you are aware of the circumstances on your turn and able to prepare.
"The great epochs of our life come when we gain the courage to rechristen our evil as what is best in us." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sign In to post comments