Season 12 D&D Next

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Who is planning on making the switch to D&D Next for Season 12? I talked to my regulars and they want to give it a shot. I'm sad to see my group give up on 4e. It's by far my favorite edition.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

I play at 2 stores and in both locations there's curiosity but hesitation. The consensuses right now is to hold off until the materials are provided in late January and then make an informed decision about what direction to take.

Our concern is that some people will want to try D&D Next while other will want to continue playing 4e. Right now we run 2 tables and on weeks when we have poor attendance we combine into 1 table. This won't be possible if some people are playing 4e and others are playing D&D Next. I fear either choice may scare away some players and start a D&D Encounters edition war.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

I run two backed to back sessions for Encounters and both have chosen to remain running under 4e rules so far.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Who is planning on making the switch to D&D Next for Season 12? I talked to my regulars and they want to give it a shot. I'm sad to see my group give up on 4e. It's by far my favorite edition.

I'll be running the playtest version, none of our other DMs wanted to.  We typically have 4 tables of encounters, and I have interest from 3 or 4 players.  FWIW.

I don't see it as 'giving up on 4e,' though.  Rather, giving playtest feedback from a 4e perspetive will help shape 5e and make it a better game...

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

No question: 4ed. However, I imagine that the feel of the next season is going to be DDNext-based (due to the limited amount of monsters and other crunch). Hopefully, the season will be compatible for both editions' playstyle, as opposed to just their crunch.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

If you read the announcement (www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...), it is pretty clear that the adventure is meant for 4e, and some sort of conversion is needed to play with D&D Next rules.
www.wizards.com/DnD/Event.aspx?x=dnd/4ne...

Does anyone know which campaign setting this season is using? Forgotten Realms, Nentir Vale?

It mentions the Caves of Chaos in the top of page blurb, and I also noticed the following in the "story so far" section:-

Against the Cult of Chaos is a Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game adventure designed for the D&D Encounters official play program. This season presents you with the opportunity to play out the elements of the story in a sequence that you and your players determine. In this sort of arrangement, the adventurers have more control over their choices during the season, and you have more freedom in tailoring Against the Cult of Chaos to maximize the fun. The season takes characters from levels 1-3.

Could this mean that DM's will need to read the entire adventure in advance as pc's could take different "routes" through the season?

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

I want to wait until I see the final published version of this season before I answer too many questions, because I am not sure what might have changed during development, editing, layout, etc.

Thanks for your patience!
www.wizards.com/DnD/Event.aspx?x=dnd/4ne...

Does anyone know which campaign setting this season is using? Forgotten Realms, Nentir Vale?

It mentions the Caves of Chaos in the top of page blurb

"The Old Faith" is a reference from Greyhawk. The original Caves of Chaos was assumed to be a part of Mystara, but like the Isle of Dread, it was ported over to Greyhawk. So, I think Greyhawk is the world.   

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

We are going to try D&D Next rules at the Game Keep in Nashville for the next season of DDE. I have two other DMs on board (we usually have 3 tables every week).

We are doing 3 playtest sessions at the store on the 3 Wednesdays before the official start of the new season. This will help to teach our players the new D&D Rules.

If trying to adjust the printed materials to D&DNext becomes too much for us to handle, we will retreat to 4E. 98% of our players like 4E anyway, we just thought we would try the playtest.

Let's see what happens!      

We will have one DM running Next and one running 4E.  I think I'll be sticking with 4E for now.  Does anyone know if Feb 6 is a session 0 or a session 1?
I am fairly sure that it is a Session 0.
I am fairly sure that it is a Session 0.

As far as I know so far its a session 0 followed by an 8 week season - looking forward to this.

Just signed on to DM this season. 

Do we know who wrote it? I have not run since Neverwinter, which was an awesome experience, when the author of the module participated in thie discussion--is that common on the forums & can I expect to see that again? 
I will try to keep my eyes on the forums to share ideas, along with all the other DMs.
Hey all. Just got my copy of the module. I can answer a few outstanding questions. The mod was written by Shawn Merwin *waves* and James Wyatt. The module isn't set in Greyhawk, it's in an unspecified world, that shares a few features with three classic modules.
All of my players expressed interest in playing under the D&D Next playtest rules. I've had upwards of thirty people ask about the next season of Encounters. So, it looks like we might go from one-two 4E tables to four solid 5E tables, which would be awesome. I've been using the month off to run a D&D Next mini-campaign for the store regulars and alternate GMs. This past session, we had fourteen people show up so we had to divide up to two tables again, which I think is also a plus since it gives the other GMs experience running it.

The only bump so far is that when I checked my calendar, I had no sessions of Against the Cult of Chaos scheduled! That gave me a mini-heart attack. I sent off an email to WotC customer support and hunted out the sanctioning emails, but they said they saw the sessions on my calendar, so maybe it's just a Wizards Event Reporter glitch? Either way, so long as I get my modules I'll be happy.

Of course, then I saw Merwin wrote it, and my heart fell...

Just kidding, man! Shout out from the Green Knights Gaming Club!

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

"D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger." -- TiaNadiezja

Got my packet last night, haven't had a chance to read through it yet though. Hopefully we'll get another forum section set up soon?

I'm assuming it will probably be another week until the D&D Next conversion material is available, but everyone here is anxious to start creating their characters (month is a long time to wait).

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

"Got my packet last night, haven't had a chance to read through it yet though. Hopefully we'll get another forum section set up soon?

I'm assuming it will probably be another week until the D&D Next conversion material is available, but everyone here is anxious to start creating their characters (month is a long time to wait)."

Yeah I was hoping that they would have the conversion notes up by this weekend, so I can pass them on to my DM's next week.
Having looked through the adventure last night, I have one concern: if anything, it looks busier than last season! They've got the meat of three old-school modules mashed into one. I know there was more material available than I could readily use, and frequently ran over my slot. I can't see that situation improving this season.

On the other hand, during playtests, 5E has run faster than 4E, so...

I like the plot, I think it's got potential. There's some old school nostalgia going on, in a weird mash-up.

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

"D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger." -- TiaNadiezja

Yeah it very much has a crazy energy about it, that vague sense of disquiet that happens in D&D villages when the monsters have snuck in, and the quest to root out the evil at its source

Good stuff!
So I've read through quite a bit of the packet, and I'm left with a question. Granted this might be somewhere hidden further in the packet.

When do players get an extended rest? They level every 3 encounters, do you just let them get their rest when they level? I'd say after each chapter, but between session 1 being a stand alone, and chapter 4 might be required to be split, that could make our days 1,2,1,3,1.

My table right now is planning on DnD Next, so some of this might be with that when it comes out, but I don't even see the 4e part.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

I was assuming that there was a rest after each "encounter" the PCs decide to follow up on, or at some DM determined point.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

Sign In to post comments