DLCR: Street Spasm

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays RtR card to rate is...

Street Spasm

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card can be really good.  It's great at taking out tokens later in the game and sometimes you do just need to get rid of that big creature the opponent has and this will do the trick as long is it doesn't fly.

Discuss! 
Not as good as I thought it would be. Most of the time when I'm playing red, the main threats are flyers and this doesn't stop that. Overload is expensive and rarely relevant.

2.5 for me. Usually remove either a guildmage or token with it. Has spent more time in my hand than in my graveyard. 
Not as good as I thought it would be. Most of the time when I'm playing red, the main threats are flyers and this doesn't stop that. Overload is expensive and rarely relevant.

2.5 for me. Usually remove either a guildmage or token with it. Has spent more time in my hand than in my graveyard. 

This is about what I was going to say. Agree with 2.5.

It's removal. Sucks it can't target flyers. But Aerial Predation doesn't target walkers and is still good removal. And 6 mana/8 mana to board wipe your opponent's bears and centaurs is a rarely-used but still nice perk.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I was thinking 3.5. It's relatively efficent instant speed removal in a set without a lot of removal, and with 6RR you can often wipe the majority of your opponent's board. In fact, I think every time I've cast it for 6RR I've won the game.
3-3.5. This is really solid removal, though the non-flying clause obviously hurts it. Instant speed does a lot for the card, though, a lot of people forget that. This is a card worth splashing.

I've killed a Desecration Demon with this - mostly because my opponent was clever enough to play out his Slum Reaper into my open (Red) mana...
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I would give it a 3.0

One of the most over-hyped cards in the set.

"But it has instant speed"....last time I checked MOST removal is at instant speed.

The final effect is cute but super expensive. It's easily a win condition (which is good!) but it rarely happens.

Especially considering a lot of the problem creatures are in the air.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Sign In to post comments