What's your favourite deck and why?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pick ONE deck and say why you love it more than the rest. 

I'd say my favourite is Pack Instinct. It might not be top-tier, and lord knows it could use more removal protection, but good golly is it fun to play. I love dropping huge creatures, and between all the ramp and the handful of undercosted monsters, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be playing something nasty every game. Throw in some trample and PI can get away from an opponent insanely fast.
For 1v1 i love goblins. They are so powerful and consistent.

For 2hg i love obedient dead. It has so many powerful cards that work better in 2hg and exsaguinate is awesome.

For fun i prefer ancient wilds. The deck had so many ways to play and does things no other deck can do.
My favorite decks is Crosswinds, followed very closely by Ancient Wilds.

I just love disrupting the opponent's tempo and controlling the pace of the game, so Crosswinds gets the overall nod. Ancient Wilds is just so damn fun to play because of all of the cool interactions and tricks you can pull off. It's very much a Johnny-deck, and I love that style of play.
Playing only 1vs1. My choice - Dream Puppets (non-mill oriented). Amazing flexibility (imho) and infinite possibilities to play with almost each deck in unique way (sometimes control, sometimes mill, sometimes even aggro). And it's much more elegant then Crosswinds (imho) with such brutal things as Blatant Thievery, Bribery and so on (names are speaking for themselves). Whole bouncing and tapping theme is great in DP.
I think my favorite deck is Collective Might.
I also really like Ancient Wilds, because it has some of my favorite cards in it.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

 

My favorite deck is Exalted Darkness. Powerful in the right hands in any game mode, has the best board control game of any other deck and has so many tools to get it where it needs to be. Need life? Divinity of Pride and Battlegrace Angel are waiting to be thrown down. Kill spells? Not even going to bother listing how many you have, but I will mention 2x Deathbringer Liege. In trouble against massive creatures? Royal Assassin and Worship have your back. Weenie rush getting you down? Silent Arbiter and No Mercy are almost certain to put a stop to that. Wanna do massive damage? Hello Darklit Gargoyle and Sublime Archangel. All these creatures though...surely they are weak to kill spells. Well, you even have a tool to help with that. 

P.S.  Demonic Tutor
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
My favorite has to be SS because of all the board control you can achieve with Grave Pact like sacrifising your Abyssal Gatekeeper which will force you to sack another creature, but your opponent will have to sacrifice 3 creatures at minimum. It's packed with a lot of powerfull removal (Pernicious Deed, Maelstrom Pulse, Death Mutation, Consume Strength, Go For The Throat, Diabolic EdictDrana, Kalastria Bloodchief, Consuming Vapors, Damnation, Master Of The Wild Hunt) and some lovely tricks when the board is at a stall like  tutoring 2x Blood Artist with Defense Of The Heart and then wiping everything with Damnation
I'm gonna go with Ancient Wilds. The deck has answers to everything, and a late game that rivals or bests any other deck in the game. I love the slow and steady build towards the late game bounce mechanics that eventually steamroll completely out of control. 
When dj_btrue enters the forum exile all bad attitudes.
Ancient Wilds is without a doubt my favorite. Goblins a close second to quench my aggro needs.

Honorable mentions to Peacekeepers, Born of Flame, and Obedient Dead as well.
SS - Has no bad matchup and you feel like there's always something you can draw to overcome any situation.

Honorable Mention: Ancient Wilds, Obedient Dead and Berserker Rage 
My favorite deck is unfortunately not available (The Bolas deck). I like because it has a lot of the cards I really like such as compulsive research, barter in blood, cruel ultimatum and a lot of tutors. Aside from that I do not have deck that I like more, I personally prefer most of the control decks.
Goblin Gangland Style is a close second, but I think I have to go with Chandra. Just the ridonkulous amount of board control that deck gives you. And getting a pair of frightening greaves onto an El Fuego Titan? Well, let's just say it's like watching a vegetarian being told she just ate chicken :33.
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
My favorite decks is Crosswinds, followed very closely by Ancient Wilds.

I just love disrupting the opponent's tempo and controlling the pace of the game, so Crosswinds gets the overall nod. Ancient Wilds is just so damn fun to play because of all of the cool interactions and tricks you can pull off. It's very much a Johnny-deck, and I love that style of play.


This. Crosswinds has everything I look for in a deck:


  • Tempo-control/Bounce

  • Card draw

  • Counters

  • Stealing/copying enemy creatures

  • Loads of flying

  • Amazing combos

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Hard to pick just one, but i really like Sky and Scale with its monkeys, snakes and birds
Hard to pick just one, but i really like Sky and Scale with its monkeys, snakes and birds

Dream Puppets due to its ability to create an alternate win condition.
Mindstorms!!!!! Due to its ability to win more consistently than people think. I had to post this because Karstien assumed I would, because it apparently isn't common knowledge, or something.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"
it apparently isn't common knowledge



Especially considering this concealed statement) "I have a 94.824% win ratio with Mindstorms."

Definitely GP, I'm not even a big fan of white or black but something about this deck just made me fall in love with it, probably because of the 3x Bloodgift Demons and the graveyard tricks and a mix of everything else it does, it feels like it can do anything. I wish it had more graveyard interaction though, I really miss Eons of Evil and to an extent Ghoulkeeper. Second favorite has to be Mindstorms just because of the fact that my first ever real magic deck was a U/R deck with 4x Gelectrodes in it, so by law I have to be a fan of control =P
Relics of Doom! I love its speed combined with its epic cards like Tinker and Platinum Angel. I've never had as much fun with any other deck than RoD, can pull off some insane combos and is highly resistive to Terror which loads of the decks run.

Wait...

Oh 2013! Um it'd have to be Crosswinds because I love blue control more than anything else. I'd prefer if it didn't have Panoptic Mirror since lots of people have an irrational hatred of the deck because of this one 'cheap' card, but otherwise it's just so much fun and well built.

Other than CW honourable mentions go to Born of Flame and Ancient Wilds for me.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
SS. It's my favorite color pairing, it does everthing I like to do in magic, and wins consisently without offending too harshly (cough Goblins cough). There is nothing like destroying an opposing SS player because they think if they are playing the deck they are guarenteed to win, but didn't realize they are terrible at magic with little deck building experience. Yeva comes second, she was my fave before SS came out, and she still pilots wonderfully against the metagame.
I love Born of Flame. I love how you can win without even dropping a creature. If your opponent drops something with less than 5 defense, it's done for, you just remove it and continue beating their face in.

Last year, it was the Eldrazi deck, it's such a crying shame that the new DLC deck doesn't have anything on the level of Lorthos, The Tidemaker or the 2 Annihilators.
#1 is probably Yeva.  I love tutoring, I crave bouncing, and I just adore the erratic portal (see my profile picture). 

#2 - #3 are talrand and mindstorms.  Talrand has a more powerful late game, but MS is more consistent.
Crosswinds for me.
I'm so comfortable playing this deck, it's like I'm wearing nothing at all.
It's going to come in real handy against Dimir.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38