[Quick Advice] Precon Upgrading

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
In short, I got lucky.
I was able to find a copy of the 'Devour for Power' EDH deck, still sealed in the original packaging, for $5 at this random resale shop.
Surprised -> Smile -> Cool
Anyhoo, I'm trying to improve it a bit with what I've got laying around. I just wanted a second opinion on the cuts I'm planning. Thanks in advance!

Out:

In:
[deck]
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 Corpsejack Menace
1 Disciple of Bolas
1 Slum Reaper
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Journeyer's Kite
1 Staff of Nin
1 Enslave
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Gutter Grime
1 Standstill
1 Grim Backwoods
1 Reliquary Tower
[/deck]

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I'm not sure I'd drop Fleshbag Marauder and add Slum Reaper.  And Cultivate is a very good ramp spell, so I'd leave it in.
So, should I cut the Signets (the deck came with Golgari, Dimir and Simic) for similarly-costed ramping spells?

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

First thing I'd do is upgrade the mana base, test a few times, then finish changing the rest of the deck.

I'm not talking about the uber expensive lands, just stuff like:

Drowned Catacomb
Woodland Cemetery
Hinterland Harbor

Underground River
Yavimaya Coast
Llanowar Wastes

Tainted Wood
Tainted Isle

Terramorphic Expanse

I can't remember if there are Rav block bounce lands in the decks, but it seems likely that there are, so you have the :G::B:, :U::B: and :U::G: ones in there (Simic, Dimir and Golgari, respectively).  After adding the lands that can't be fetched for (because budget), add things like Sylvan Scrying, Reap and Sow, Expedition Map and Tolaria West.

After you've had a couple of good games making sure your mana base works consistently, then go and change things.  One of the things I picked DfP for when I got my first of two, was for the Witness, Skull Clamp and Solemn Simulacrum.  They're brilliant additions that made this the obvious choice before other card prices went bonkers, Scavenging Ooze in particular.

Anywho, that's my take.

Cheers,

Malpheas
I’d need tower the whole list. I forget what its playing.

I think acidic slime, fleshbag, cultivate should stay.

3DH4LIF3

Sign In to post comments