Swamp encounter inspiration needed

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could point me to a published adventure that has a few swamp encounters. I've got a group trekking across the Shadow Marches and I'm looking for a bit of inspiration. If anything comes to mind, please let me know. Thanks!Smile
What kind of things are you looking for?

I imagine if you look around a bit on Livingforgottenrealms.com you could find some swampy encounters but I think knowing what you are trying to do with these encounters might be more helpful.

Also, levels and edition would be nice.  Are we talking about a level 2 2nd Edition encounter or a level 12 4th edition encounter? 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Yeah, I suppose being more specific would be helpful Tongue Out What I'm basically looking for is a 4th edition swamp encounter of any level, really. I'm curious about mundane terrain effects more than anything else (mud, fog, shallow water, bushes, etc.) The DMG gives a bit of info on this stuff, but it'd be nice to have a direct set of effects.
There isn't a direct list of effects of different things, but I would say use them to the best of your ability in an encounter.

If there is quicksand in some of the squares have players make a check or become immobilized in it.

Patches of really deep mud can cause the players in it to become slowed.

Maybe there are patches of leeches in the dark water and stepping on those squares makes you make a saving throw at the end of the encounter or be afflicted by some form of disease.

Maybe there is a moving cloud of Gnats that fly around being annoying and taking healing surges.

What level they are will go a long way into determining how bothersome the marsh is and what kind of creatures they encounter. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
favourite of mine for swamp monsters is giant leeches, generally if around the right level use reskinned stirges, if not, custom ones, ongoing damage and healing surge loss a must, maybe some weakened effect
I see you have a DDi account. Here is a relatively recent adventure set in a swamp,

The Sunken Tower of the Marsh MysticD&D Insider Article

An Adventure for Characters of Levels 3-5

www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

Also this:

Battle of the Witchlight HermitageD&D Insider Article

An adventure for characters of levels 3-5

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

Also a dungeon crawl set in the Witchlite Fens

media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/Ghost_To...

Hope that helps.
Sign In to post comments