1 Memnite

3 Mox Opal
3 Gemstone Mine
3 Glimmervoid
3 Marsh Flats
3 Plains
1 Godless Shrine

Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Why Storm Entity? There's not much to hate on Storm, might as well run a 2nd Grapeshot. You've already got Probe to look out for Mindbreak Trap, might as well help you find it faster via Spoils.

Salvage Titan might be fun for a back up plan though.

Did you try out Riddlesmith over Paladin? Let's you run more Memnites/Ornothopers as a throw back to original Cherri0's. Granted, it's a looting effect so it might limit your options.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
wow this deck looks like fun.
Yikes, I wonder how fast that would go off given that there isn't any reliable counter?

Mana Tithe
Spell Snare
is all I could think of that's remotely usable.   
Yikes, I wonder how fast that would go off given that there isn't any reliable counter?

Mana Tithe
Spell Snare

Turn 2, pretty reliably. I've updated the list slightly, maxing out Retracts, Opals, and Spoils and dumping the Memnite for a couple Simian Spirit Guides.

One-mana removal hurts fairly badly, but that's pretty much just Bolt and Path in this format. Few decks run both, and the ones that do won't always have them, and won't always leave the mana up on turn 2. 

Mana Tithe
Spell Snare

Turn 2, pretty reliably. I've updated the list slightly, maxing out Retracts, Opals, and Spoils and dumping the Memnite for a couple Simian Spirit Guides.

One-mana removal hurts fairly badly, but that's pretty much just Bolt and Path in this format. Few decks run both, and the ones that do won't always have them, and won't always leave the mana up on turn 2. 

That's why I brought up Riddlesmith.  At you could concevable play him turn 1 off a Spirit Guide then start looting if you have 3+ Cherri0's in hand.  It'd certainly help you go off sooner, and that way Chalice of the Void set to 0 won't stop you cold, since Smith triggers of caster rather than Paladin's EtB.  But it certainly adds another level of risk.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
I toyed around with a miser Smith today, and it was good, but only when I was already going and had a Paladin or 2. I've played other Riddlesmith builds and the fact that your hand shrinks inevitably to nothing makes him completely unviable as a Cheeri0s engine. Even with Retracts, it's almost impossible to keep going for very long.
Absolutely nothing to protect your puresteel paladin?  It looks to me like if your opponent leads with a mountain you can just pack it up for game two...  Against decks with aggressive removal you CAN go off on turn two, but you don't have to.  I would suggest Silence or any of the multitude of one mana colored-protection spells out there mainboard to prevent such a thing
Racking up win after win with this. Aside from a couple Spoils suicides and the occasional Chalice or Leyline, not really having trouble. Removal has yet to stop me, as I tend to have, or be able to get, a second Pally.

Play this deck. Win games. Have fun.
Can we get an updated list?

Also, what would you suggest for a build not running Opal?  I'd like to build this up for fun, but I'd rather leave my 3 Opals where they currently are since it feels like my AiR deck needs to have the fast mana more.

Also, when testing this VS my AiR deck, I found turn 1 Trinisphere makes this deck cry.  Granted it makes most decks cry, but there's really no going off with 1 in play.  

Definitely agree on steering clear of Riddlesmith.  You really can't go off with only him in play unless you have a hand of mostly gas and your first few draws are spent pithcing garbage.

Definitly need some SB Wipe Away or similar bounce to try to go off in the face of hate on turn 3. 
My Decks
Current list:

4 Puresteel Paladin
4 Spoils of the Vault
4 Retract
4 Gitaxian Probe
2 Grapeshot

4 Bone Saw
4 Sigil of Distinction
4 Paradise Mantle
4 Kite Shield
4 Spidersilk Net
4 Accorder's Shield

4 Mox Opal
1 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Glimmervoid
4 Gemstone Mine
3 Cavern of Souls
1 Plains

Sideboard
4 Pact of Negation
4 Nature's Claim
4 Gemstone Caverns
1 Storm Entity
2 ???

I don't believe this deck can function without Opals. Opal+Retract is such a huge art of the combo, and the fast mana is completely necessary to go off consistently turns 1-3.

I would simply suggest switching them out whenever you swap decks.

Turn 1 3sphere is pretty degenerate against anything, but I expect I can win turn 2 more often than you can drop 3sphere by turn 2. After the board, I just EOT Claim and go. Even without Claim, I've won games through Thalia/Thorn of Amethyst by simply dropping multiple Paladins and then dropping an equipment or two a turn, building up mana, and then dropping Sigils for 6-8.
I'm fiddeling with my own version of this now, trying to get a build to function without the need for Opal.  I could do the flip flop bit, but then I wouldn't have a deck to pass to people who turn up at last minute and want to play, but left their deck behind.

3 Vedalken Archmage
3 Riddelsmith

4 Bone Saw
4 Paradise Mantle
4 Accorder's Shield
4 Sigil of Distinction
4 Everflowing Chalice
4 Ornithopter

2 Grapeshot

4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Manamorphose

4 Retract

4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Island
1 Mountain

Basically R/U, and focuses more on the fact that you get cards while your spells are on the stack.  Smith helps to dig for Archmage, and once you have both, you can go off since Archmage fixes the weakness of Smith.  I rely fairly heavily on the Spirit Guides to try to make up the difference in mana costs.

Less than ideal, but it's what I have so far. 
My Decks
This is actually a different deck that I built a long time ago; Archmage proved to be too slow for the format, hence the new deck with Paladin. Running Archmage without Opal seems even worse than running Paladin without Opal, since you need a lot of mana and Opal is a Cheeri0 for Archmage. 

Spoils is also a fairly important card here; you have to maximize your chances of an early Archmage/Smith. Running 8 copies of turn 2 Paladin really make the deck tick. 

There are better options for Archmage then the Equipments. Here's the list I used back when I put it together:

4x Vedalken Archmage
3x Spoils of The Vault
2x Vedalken Aethermage

4x Mox Opal
4x Everflowing Chalice
4x Simian Spirit Guide
2x Scalding Tarn
1x Watery Grave
1x Breeding Pool
1x Island

4x Pentad Prism
3x Aether Vial
2x Etherium Sculptor
3x Springleaf Drum
3x Retract
4x Memnite
4x Ornithopter
3x Chromatic Sphere
3x Chromatic Star
1x Engineered Explosives
1x Chalice of the Void
1x Welding Jar

2x Grapeshot

Id like you to know I played your updated list today at an event we have called "Modern monday" and came first!
I put 3 silence's in the board because I was concerned about combo. The only deck that gave me a bit of trouble was 
Egg's, But silence Crushed them.
Thank you for playing the deck! I'm glad you did well, and I hope you had fun.

Do you have an specific matchup info? How many rounds did you play? How did your individual games go?

Does this deck not struggle against an Abrupt Decay or a disruption spell? Your draw engine is very easy to kill. The rest of the deck doesn't do anythign without it either.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Decay, and in general any spot removal, is our biggest weakness. Paladin is easy to kill and dies to all of the popular kill spells in top decks.

The deck does struggle through this; you only have a few options. The strongest option is to side in anti-hate: Silence, Pact of Negation, etc.

The next option is possibly tge hardest, and that's to bluff them into a tapout. For instance, sandbagging your second land so they tap out for a turn 3 Lili.

Tge deck can reach lethal storm without Paladin, especially if your opponent uses a painful manabase. A Retract, an Opal, and a few equipments are capable of cleaning up.
Exactly, This deck is so explosive, my opponents tapped out on turn two, and couldnt stop me from winning.

we had 3 rounds(9 players) My first game was Tron, Then Death and taxes, and Eggs in the finals.

Tron: I got a turn 1 win, game 2 He droped karn and started messing me up(had a bad hand)
Game 3, turn 2 kill.

Death and taxes, Killed him on my turn 2, his turn 1(he tapped out to drop an ather vile, So I was sure I could secure the victory)
game 2, killed him turn 3-4.(he couldnt find 1 of his 4 thalias to save his life)
The deck itself runs pretty low removal, it had 4 PoE's and that was about it I believe...

Eggs: Game 1 I knew I had to combo faster then him, and this match up is basically goldfishing. I won turn 2
game 2, my sideboard completely destroyed him. threw in 3 silences, and 2 fairy macabres(This was actually an accident, dont do this!).
He was comboing off, which I cast silence, he droped faith's reward, which I fairy macabre'd his lotus blooms, and he scooped.

There were 2 opponents I really did not wanna vs, and that was Jund, and Merfolk. Jund is a really really hard matchup, and merfolk never taps out really.
So, what's the general line of play for this deck?
T1: Land, go
T2: Land, Paladin, 0cmc Equipment, Mox, Retract, Repeat?

If that's correct, where do you get mana to cast Grapeshot Turn 2? Or do you just cast the Puresteel T1, then go off  T2?

Also, I imagine Thalia is an issue for the deck too (and by extension, Thorn of Amethyst)

(at)MrEnglish22

The mana for Grapeshot comes from the singleton SSG or from playing 3 Mox Opals.

Thalia slows the deck down, I currently run Gut Shots in the board to deal with her (and Nature's Claim for Thorn of Amethyst).
So, what's the general line of play for this deck?
T1: Land, go
T2: Land, Paladin, 0cmc Equipment, Mox, Retract, Repeat?

If that's correct, where do you get mana to cast Grapeshot Turn 2? Or do you just cast the Puresteel T1, then go off  T2?

Also, I imagine Thalia is an issue for the deck too (and by extension, Thorn of Amethyst)

Storm hate is storm hate.

You get 7 cards. So, taking your assumption that we're on the play and kept a 3 land-er...

You''re drawing 2 cards before the retract. Any of those let you draw another cherrio or another retract. Aside from Mox Opals those all fuel you further. So, that's at least 4 cards you're digging to allow you to dig further. Every time you hit another retract it's worth more because of all the cheerios you've been getting.

2 additional Opals or a Simian Spirit guide later and there you go.

76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.

Storm hate is storm hate.

You get 7 cards. So, taking your assumption that we're on the play and kept a 3 land-er...

You''re drawing 2 cards before the retract. Any of those let you draw another cherrio or another retract. Aside from Mox Opals those all fuel you further. So, that's at least 4 cards you're digging to allow you to dig further. Every time you hit another retract it's worth more because of all the cheerios you've been getting.

2 additional Opals or a Simian Spirit guide later and there you go.

Math still seems a little off to me. But I guess we do have some 30 cherrios, so I guess its okay. If I had Opals, I'd be playing it this week.

(at)MrEnglish22

Exactly. Those initial 2 draws give us reasonable odds of hittining another donut, if we can hit even one the retract sets us off. It's a deck known for wiffing, glimpse/legacy would apear to brick like a champ too, but... Yeah. Watcher gonna do?

I want to scrape together storm and affinity for use in modern while I build up the land base for a 'real' (ie fair) deck, and geting the opals would allow me to run this out for lulz.

If only I could get my shop to have sealed night coincide with modern night. It'd turn the last friday of the month into... Well, I could stop playing sealed. That'd be nice.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Just saw Travis Woo's stream of him playing the deck a few weeks ago. He really seemed to enjoy it.
Just saw Travis Woo's stream of him playing the deck a few weeks ago. He really seemed to enjoy it.

Was actually coming in here to post that Woo and Mons Johnson both like the deck. They've been talking about it on twitter quite a bit the past two weeks or so

(at)MrEnglish22

So Jund just took a hit. I expect a corresponding dip in popularity and that leaves us open to dominate the meta with one of our hardest MUs out of the way.
An article by Jon Johnson about this deck is supposed to be published today. I'll return with the link when it's up.
Hmm, sorry for the hype; this article is actually more about a program he wrote and him using it to analyze the deck. It doesn't do a very good job of it, IMHO. I'm not saying that because his numbers were discouraging, but because there are a lot of important things his program can't do. It can't Spoils for anything, ever. It can't do more complex lines of play or make more "human" choices mid-combo.

BUT having said all that, it does give some good insight into possible mulligan choices, and perhaps some expected patterns of equipment chains when you go off. It's also a very interesting idea, and he created it very well, and it's more sophisticated than I would expect something like that to be.

I recommend you read it, it's not a bad article at all.

mtgshops.com/posts/modern-purestorm-gold...
Currently testing 1-4 Salvage Titans maindeck; it seems like a surprisingly solid backup plan.

I'm surprised this deck doesn't have more support here; I know this forum is pretty quiet but it's still a reliable Turn 2 kill that's snowballing in popularity.
You got me reading and toying around with it, but I don't really have much to contribute to the discussion in that regard :$. I'm more prone to go off on turn three for added paladin security and play a second Spirit monkey so that I don't need to draw my entire deck to grapeshot, but that's about it \:
Show
Obligatory and Preliminary Smiley Reservoir: IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Wee.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Dancing%20AIM.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/rawr.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/ghgh.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/%5D%5D.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/luv.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/circle.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/turtle.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jade.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wilson.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/pcXQL.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blushing.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.png)
play a second Spirit monkey so that I don't need to draw my entire deck to grapeshot, but that's about it \:

lol, never thought I'd read THAT on a storm/eggs/cheerios combo thread.

I love love LOVE this deck. I do agree with adding another Guide and the silences in the main. I am picking up cards for it as PTQ's are approaching and this might be the breakout of the format with Jund getting kicked in the sack, and maybe Storm hate will be lessened with the nerf storm got as well.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Currently testing 1-4 Salvage Titans maindeck; it seems like a surprisingly solid backup plan.

I'm surprised this deck doesn't have more support here; I know this forum is pretty quiet but it's still a reliable Turn 2 kill that's snowballing in popularity.

Congrats on actually naming a card I didn't know off the top of my head.

I'd be playing it at my PTQ tomorrow if I had Mox Opals. 

(at)MrEnglish22

What happens if your spoils of the vault ends up exiling grapeshot? Win with beatdown?

What happens if your spoils of the vault ends up exiling grapeshot? Win with beatdown?

Generally, you try to only spoils for grapeshot of retract, as you have the other one in your hand. There's also the option of Storm Entity.

my current list:

has anybody considerd Erayo, Soratami Ascendant?

html_removed html_removed html_removed

Riddlesmith doesn't let you combo off like Puresteel, as it forces you to discard. That means you need to have a Paladin to use it anyway. I know some people like it, but personally I don't. Of course, the fact that I'm suggesting to take out Riddlesmith might change the rest of the stuff I'm saying here, so keep that in mind.
Manamorphose is awkward a lot of times because if you draw it while going off, its really risky to cast it because you need to tap out to do so a lot of times and if it gets countered you cannot cast Grapeshot.
4 Mox Opal seems like a bit much, but I guess it might be okay if you are Riddlesmithing.

I'm personally curious about the Chancellors in your SB. As for Erayo, not sure what you would want to play it against, but it causes awkawrd issues when you can't keep drawing with Puresteel, and if you can cast 4 spells to flip it, then why can't you just go off?
Not to mention the fact that it costs 2 mana, which isn't always guaranteed available

(at)MrEnglish22

Spoils should go for Paladin first, then either Mox Opal or Retract as needed, and then lands/equipments in rare cases. You should never Spoils for Grapeshot unless you absolutely have to, since you usually draw your entire deck.

4 Opals is pretty much necessary.

Spoils rarely exiles all of your Grapeshots, this is why we run multiples.

Erayo is a very interesting idea. I'll test it with Canonist as well for the hardlock.
Erayo could be an alternate plan, run alongside rule of law and/or ethersworn for a hard lock. The ability to do either Erayo or puresteel t1 would be amazing, imo
Erayo could be an alternate plan, run alongside rule of law and/or ethersworn for a hard lock. The ability to do either Erayo or puresteel t1 would be amazing, imo

turn 1 erayo is really hard to pull off, you need a darsteel citadel to do it. turn 2 is possible though. (at least untill they unban chrome mox)
Spoils should go for Paladin first, then either Mox Opal or Retract as needed, and then lands/equipments in rare cases. You should never Spoils for Grapeshot unless you absolutely have to, since you usually draw your entire deck. 4 Opals is pretty much necessary. Spoils rarely exiles all of your Grapeshots, this is why we run multiples. Erayo is a very interesting idea. I'll test it with Canonist as well for the hardlock.

What's the most recent list out of curiosity?

(at)MrEnglish22

4 Puresteel Paladin
4 Spoils of the Vault
4 Retract
4 Mox Opal
4 Gitaxian Probe 
2 Grapeshot

4 Sigil of Distinction
4 Paradise Mantle
4 Bone Saw
4 Spidersilk Net
4 Accorder's Shield