Rules on Tokens

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I would like to propose that a new rule for tokens to be created.  One that defines the perameters of a token in order to keep a clear and clean game state, but also is vague enough to allow objects other than WotC issued cards to be tokens.

As an advid follower of SCGlive series and wizard's coverage of GPs, I notice that whenever there's a token that goes into play they use a proper token to make the boardstate as clear as possible for not only the players but for the audience.  It's important to know if the token is a 1/1 flyer or a 3/3 elephant, or if one is tapped and the other isn't, etc.  When not on camera, however, people use pretty much whatever they want as a token, like a pebble, a piece of paper, or even a die.  Most of which can be really confusing to know what is tapped, what is attacking, what isn't tapped, etc.  Further, using a die, it can be confusing at times to know if a die on '3' is representing a 3/3 or 3 1/1s.  It may seem rather trivial, but in RTR sealed, for example, where you can have a mixture of all different sizes and number of tokens, it can get muddled up.

Further, there are actual situations where the size of a token matters.  If you animate Chaos Orb and make a token that's a copy of it, Cackling Counterpart for example, you can then use a pillow as the token to destroy the entire board.  

Therfore, I think a rule would be helpful to define what a token should physically look like.  Something to make it about card size, but not necissarily a card, and needs to be able to easily to distinguish it from tokens that have different characterisitics and whether tokens are tapped or not.

What do you guys think?
Further, there are actual situations where the size of a token matters.  If you animate Chaos Orb and make a token that's a copy of it, Cackling Counterpart for example, you can then use a pillow as the token to destroy the entire board.

I think this is too funny to have a rule stopping it. Also, it's important that people can play with what they have on hand at lower levels.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Further, there are actual situations where the size of a token matters. If you animate Chaos Orb and make a token that's a copy of it, Cackling Counterpart for example, you can then use a pillow as the token to destroy the entire board.

There are already rules covering everything you want except for this part, which is total baloney.
Further, there are actual situations where the size of a token matters. If you animate Chaos Orb and make a token that's a copy of it, Cackling Counterpart for example, you can then use a pillow as the token to destroy the entire board.

There are already rules covering everything you want except for this part, which is total baloney.

There's a reason Chaos Orb is banned in every format. Just like Ante cards, allow it to be used at your own risk.

[<o>]
Chaos Orb should be considered equivalent to an uncard for the purposes of things like this.

I think that with the easy availability of physical tokens nowadays, requiring their use in high-level Constructed events isn't an unreasonable idea, but I don't think it belongs in the CR, and with things like Wurmcoil Engine there's no way to make it work in Limited. I know you didn't propose requiring actual physical tokens, but you're one step shy.

(On an only partially related note, I've always thought it would be cool if Wizards would release blank tokens, maybe as part of some special product. Would be handy for old cards that don't have physical tokens, and also just generally cool.)
blah blah metal lyrics