How to handle my anger against a player?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well guys, there's this... friend I gt out of our role playing sessions because he doesn't know how to do his teamwork -.-
I stopped talking to him for almost about 2 months because he can reallt get on my nerves, but he really wanted a 2nd chance to try to be a good player. I kicked him out of our actual campaign, and I will be playing a single player campaign with him, but with two PCs I'll be running as suppoer... but there's the thing:

This dude is obsessed with PC Gaming, specially shooters, and specially with this piece of overated trash called Team Fortress 2. He lives there, he eats there, he drinks his life energies from said game. AND To make things worse his favorite role playing game is Warhammer; the only game where teamwork means making the lifes of other impossible.  

Wll since this guy lives inside his shooters/praise the chaos world, it's kinda hard to roleplay with him... BUT I promised to give a second chance; hwever he STILL THINKS assassins and rogues in this game should be like in Team Fortress and become inisible and slay oponents with one hit, without the help of a party, and makes warhammer jokes every 2 squares he advances. I REALLY REALLY want to teach him how to rple play, because he's a good guy besides all his fanboyism; but my anger drives me to make horrible stuff to happen to his character, to leave the gametable, or just not giving him any treasure :/
Handle it 100% out-of-game, or not at all. The moment you try to handle it in-game, you've lost and you'll just contribute to making things worse for everyone. In-game, go with what he gives you and make it the most enjoyable game you can for everyone involved, including yourself. I bet, knowing what this guy is like, you can accommodate his play style for at least a session at a time, and talk to him afterward.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

yeah I second Centauri here, dealing with this in-game as you've been doing is not the right way to go.  Deal with it outside of the game.  Honestly if this guy bothers you that much then clearly you two shouldn't be playing DnD together, sounds like the easiest solution is just to stop doing that.  It's the catalyst of all your anger.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

In defense of TF2 and Warhammer, I feel it it discrimination on your behalf. You don't like those games- so what? It has nothing to do with your game regardless of whether your player likes them/talks/jokes about them or not. If that's his thing, then so be it- accomodate iit in you 'solo' campaign somehow, don't shun him for it. If he want's to play an Assassin, let him, but maybe tone down encounters...If he want's to play the big burly heavy-weapon toting powerhouse, let him, but teach him the values of teamwork.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I've never heard that Warhammer is unusual in the way teamwork functions. I thought it was just D&D with a darker setting and even crazier dice.

I'd be surprised if TF2 really doesn't require teamwork, either. Maybe one class is able to go off on its own, but I'm betting it's fragile and benefits from the other classes drawing fire.

Don't "accommodate" his Warhammer/TF2 desires. If you don't like that aesthetic and that's the only aesthetic he likes, do not play in a game with him (especially not a solo game!). It's a very simple answer. There are plenty of things you two can do as friends besides play D&D and there are plenty of people out there who play D&D, so you can easily find people who share your aesthetic.
Just guessing, but part of the frustration could be that you want to challenge this player in a particular way, and he's not interested in being challenged that way. I've encountered plenty of players who never want to be hit, and want to be one-shot-one-kill assassins. The "literature" supports the existence of this kind of character, even if they game mostly doesn't. But the game can be used to support this kind of character, it's just a matter of finding out what the "game" is. That is, what is the challenge? If the player can't think of a challenge that he would like to risk failure at, then what he wants is to write a story, not play a game. But there's a chance that there are things he'd roll for, and suffer failure for, that you can put in the character's path. These might not have anything to do with direct assault upon the character, and once the character has overcome these, the actual offing of the target is simply narrated.

I REALLY REALLY want to teach him how to rple play, because he's a good guy besides all his fanboyism; but my anger drives me to make horrible stuff to happen to his character

4e focuses a lot on combat, so his style of play is not unusual. I'd recommend either be more excepting of his style of play, or don't DM for him.

There are probably plenty of DM's that can accomodate him (possibly at a public game at a game store). Maybe offer to assist him in getting to one.

I will be playing a single player campaign with him, but with two PCs I'll be running as suppoer

You mean like playing your own PC while DM'ing? The board concensus is not to do that.

If he wants to be the uber stealth, one shot one kill type of player,  then give it to him. By playing in a solo game (which I think is a horrible idea, if you don't really like to be around this person for long, anyway - at least with other people, you can kind of dilute him with their presence.) you have the ability to focus solely on what he wants to play like. Give him hordes of minions to slaughter. Fail miserably on your Perception checks to detect his movement. Let him describe how he sneaks up and ninja vanishes behind the opponent, then kills him while he is befuddled. Obviously, boss monsters and important NPCs dont go down so easily - most of them have seen the tricks he uses, or have used them on their own in the past, so the first time he ninja_vanishes and appears to find the enemy has vanished as well, it packs a much more video game feel.

But again... if you dont really like the guy, I would recommend NOT playing a solo campaign with him.

It will end in fire.
So many PCs, so little time...
Well guys, there's this... friend I gt out of our role playing sessions because he doesn't know how to do his teamwork -.-
I stopped talking to him for almost about 2 months because he can reallt get on my nerves, but he really wanted a 2nd chance to try to be a good player. I kicked him out of our actual campaign, and I will be playing a single player campaign with him, but with two PCs I'll be running as suppoer... but there's the thing:

I'm not even sure this guy was a "bad" player. You're going to have to explain what happened in a bit more detail.

This dude is obsessed with PC Gaming, specially shooters, and specially with this piece of overated trash called Team Fortress 2. He lives there, he eats there, he drinks his life energies from said game. AND To make things worse his favorite role playing game is Warhammer; the only game where teamwork means making the lifes of other impossible.

Nothing wrong with PC or console gaming. Team Fortress 2 is pretty entertaining, I don't know if I'd call it trash. It's not for everyone though. I've never played Warhammer, but I find it's fanbase so far beyond insufferable that I never miss a chance to attack and belittle the dirty bastards at every opporunity. Space marines suck! That said, there is nothing wrong with competitive RPGs, so long as their purpose is competitive play. Like Munchkin D20. That is all kinds of hilarious fun.  

Wll since this guy lives inside his shooters/praise the chaos world, it's kinda hard to roleplay with him...

How does that make role-playing difficult?

BUT I promised to give a second chance; hwever he STILL THINKS assassins and rogues in this game should be like in Team Fortress and become inisible and slay oponents with one hit, without the help of a party,

The 3.5 assassin prestige class can do exactly that. Hell the spellthief has a pretty good chance of doing that every once in a while too.

and makes warhammer jokes every 2 squares he advances.

I can see how this would get on someone's nerves. Too many jokes in a session get old after a while. I've had to deal with this before, so I hear where you're coming from. Generally, I've never had to do anything more than remind the players why we're all here. But there's nothing wrong with having fun in a session.

I REALLY REALLY want to teach him how to rple play,

Ehh...I'm going to be honest and say this sends up a red flag with me. What do you mean by "role-play?"

because he's a good guy besides all his fanboyism; but my anger drives me to make horrible stuff to happen to his character, to leave the gametable, or just not giving him any treasure :/

Then don't play with him. In all honesty, I don't think this is something that can be fixed. Tell him that he shouldn't bother showing up at the table anymore, but let him know that it's because you don't think you can play with him without causing problems. Just be honest, and tell him exactly what you've posted here.
yeah I second Centauri here, dealing with this in-game as you've been doing is not the right way to go.  Deal with it outside of the game.  Honestly if this guy bothers you that much then clearly you two shouldn't be playing DnD together, sounds like the easiest solution is just to stop doing that.  It's the catalyst of all your anger.

Basically this, yes.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
One-shot one-kill requires

minions

minions

Right, or other things that don't operate on the standard assumptions about HP. If someone completes several high-complexity skill challenges in order to set up a sniper shot on a target, then the number of HP the target has is really beside the point. HP aren't some physical representation of health, they're just a pacing mechanism, because it was decided that players generally don't want their enemies to drop from a single hit.

minions

Alternately, a skill challenge.
What you could try doing is using a skill challenge. I don't know if anyone has suggested that yet.

ninja'ed !
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

ninja'ed !

No, Ignore List'd.
oh.

Wait, Salla and Centauri have eachother on ignore?  Thats odd.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
No, Salla has Erachima on ignore, I believe. Salla and Centauri were both typing their reply at the same time, based on the time stamp. 
I still haven't figured out how to use this mythical "ignore."
I still haven't figured out how to use this mythical "ignore."

Click on the User's avatar pic.  That will take you to his page.
On the left, you will see a number of options below his picture, including 'block user'.
Click, that, then confirm on the next page.
No, Salla has Erachima on ignore, I believe. Salla and Centauri were both typing their reply at the same time, based on the time stamp. 

I have both of them on ignore, actually.
Thanks Salla.
The problem with doing that is sometimes I have found people that I'm tempted to "ignore" later turn out to have cogent and insightful arguments or points in other areas. Use with caution.

No, I won't be mentioning names.
The problem with doing that is sometimes I have found people that I'm tempted to "ignore" later turn out to have cogent and insightful arguments or points in other areas.

But most of the time not, so don't worry about it. ;)

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Ok guys, I thank you for all the advice you have given me, and I'm sure it will be useful for other DMs

I am still roleplaying with this guy, and meh.... I know sometimes he tries to be... interesting (asking every singl NPC why to live in luxury, never taking a bath and practically eating dirt to show people poverty is cool...). But the most I let this player do whatever he wants, I see him more... focused on game and eventually calms down.

Last night I even let him kill a guard using a skill challenge, but I told him not to get jumpy about it cuz we can't allways ignore combat ^^

Thanks!!! 
You'll have to include him in group games at some point, if he is to learn how to interact with people. This sounds like the real issue, correct me if I'm wrong. Can this guy work with others or has his video gaming lifestyle resulted in very few social skills. It seems like hard work to run a solo adventure for this guy so that he can function with a group of people playing D&D. I've had a player who spent all his time on a PC gaming, Team Fortress was a favourite game for him; he didn't last very long in my game and everyone encouraged him as much as humanly possible. The few hours we spent with this person each week could not repair the damage he was doing to himself playing video games with all his spare time. Just remember the more you have to work with him solo, the more you might resent it. You have no peer support and the other players can't point out issues with his behaviour to him, in a solo game.
we can't allways ignore combat ^^

Why not?

Because, combat is fun
Because, combat is fun

THIS... XD

Oh and because that would lead to many awkward situations I've lived before :/
Battling Beasts is a part of D&D Roleplaying isn't it? -w-  Plus I've had very good interpretation-only sessions. That way I convinced a girl to join (she used to be an observer before) to my cassual group (not with this guy) and she started batting at our side some time before :P
You'll have to include him in group games at some point, if he is to learn how to interact with people. This sounds like the real issue, correct me if I'm wrong. Can this guy work with others or has his video gaming lifestyle resulted in very few social skills. It seems like hard work to run a solo adventure for this guy so that he can function with a group of people playing D&D. I've had a player who spent all his time on a PC gaming, Team Fortress was a favourite game for him; he didn't last very long in my game and everyone encouraged him as much as humanly possible. The few hours we spent with this person each week could not repair the damage he was doing to himself playing video games with all his spare time. Just remember the more you have to work with him solo, the more you might resent it. You have no peer support and the other players can't point out issues with his behaviour to him, in a solo game.

Just remember it's not your job to "fix" him.  People have to work on themselves if they want to change.  If you think he's worth spending time with, carry on.  If not, don't feel obligated to include him.  And if you do drop him from the group, be honest with him about why you did it.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Because, combat is fun

THIS... XD

It's not going to be fun for someone whose idea of fun is not to get hit and to kill things with one shot, unless you do some extensive reflavoring.

some of you folks posts are kinda brutal to me lol. Kicking a buddy off a game seems like beginning of the end of friendship. Brutal decision over just a RP game. 
some of you folks posts are kinda brutal to me lol. Kicking a buddy off a game seems like beginning of the end of friendship. Brutal decision over just a RP game. 

Are you the person Aldath is talking about?

If so, you should probably shape up a bit .

I think it shows a deeper type of friendship if you can sit down and work together to play a game where you both have fun.  If this game doesn't work for one or both of you, switch games.  If that doesn't work you just have to take it as "we can't do everything the same way because we aren't the same person" and move along.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Just because you are friends doesn't mean you have to share all of the same interests or do everything together.
But the most I let this player do whatever he wants, I see him more... focused on game and eventually calms down.

This

> this game should be like in Team Fortress

I realize that this would go out the window in a group environment, but if you're playing one-on-one then you two might find a happy medium if your scenarios are more like Deus Ex or Thief.

(Come to think of it, a D&D campaign based on Deus Ex sounds like something I ought to torme.. I mean, entertain some of my players with.)
Sign In to post comments