Some more green cards

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brawling Yeti

Creature-Yeti
When Brawling Yeti enters the battlefield, you may have it fight target creature.
5/4

Somnas Stalker

Creature-Nightmare Beast
When Somnas Stalker dies, you may exile it. If you do, return up to three target cards from your graveyard to your hand.
"There is no safety in between the waking world and dreams."
 6/4      

Notes:
Show
These first two cards are a result of myself and a few of my friends teasing another one of my friends who exclusively plays blue based control decks. When asked about what would it take to get him to play green, the result was basically 'if it played more like blue'. So I tried to come up with some late game finishers that a control deck might want to splash green for.

Alpha Stagbeast

Creature-Elk Beast
Other creatures you control get +1/+1.
When Alpha Stagbeast enters the battlefield, you may reveal the top three cards of your library. If you do, put all creature cards revealed this way into your hand, and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
3/2

notes:
Show
My attempts to justify green getting a for realsies Concentrate keeping in mind that harmonize will never make it into a real set because green's draw spells need to be tied to a creature. I thought of having it only draw you creature spells, but Beast Hunt already did that, and no one liked beast hunt. So, throw a body on it, badda bing bam boom.

Sylvan Harvester

Creature-Elf Shaman
When Sylvan Harvester enters the battlefield, forests you control gain ": Draw a card." Until end of turn.
2/2

notes:
Show
mono-green needs more love

Lord of the Wood
()()()()()
Creature-Hydra
10/10

notes:
Show
I wanted to push colorless-hybrid mana to the logical extreme. A mono-green deck can play this on turn 3 with the help of mana dorks, but without protection or evasion its mostly used to show off or a combo piece.
The stalker feels like it should be black.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about the hydra yet.  Getting to five green mana by turn three can be pretty easy, but it has no protections, evasion, or trample so I'm still on the fence.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Great references to existing cards, but your hydra might be a little too strong! Leatherback Baloth wasn't really weak, and neither was Fusion Elemental.. "Sylvan Harvester" is much stronger than Wistful Selkie, but mono-green decks might deserve that power level..
Somnas Stalker could be a wurm
Somnas Stalker could be a wurm

It could also be a worm.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

While I like the design of each of the cards (except for Lord of the Wood) I think the power level of each is too high.
Added designer notes.
"am I Boar or Beast ?" - Cliff note taker
Strange, I didn't notice the super-high power levels when I saw your cards for the very first time..
we humans are more alike than we like to admit

Civilian Harvester
Card Drawing itself is not Cinematic. Themes help
  I admit, I am pretty bad at costing the effects of my cards.
Beast Hunt is crap but Lead the Stampede is quite good. Also as a long time blue player I prefer Green card draw for the most part. Momentous Fall, Fecundity, Garruk's Packleader, Greater Good, and Triumph of Ferocity are all quite good.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
That's creature-based card-draw, but did they ever print forest-based card-draw?
That's creature-based card-draw, but did they ever print forest-based card-draw?

I think it's reasonable given that the effect is tethered to a creature.
I would never dream of putting this effect on any other card type.