Bribery and Wagering

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, this is a tournament rules question rather than a game rules question.  Please move it to the right forum if I am posting it in the wrong place.

My friend was at a casual Tuesday night draft at a local card store.  In the last match, he and his opponent realized that my friend had no chance of placing top 4, and his opponent did.  My friend offered to conede the match if the opponent would share some if the prize packs with him, and the opponent agreed.  What, if any, action should be taken by the tournament judge?
The appropriate response is for the judge is to conduct an investigation, and most likely to disqualify both players from the tournament. This applies even at regular Rules Enforcement Level (eg, Friday Night Magic).
trading a match result will result in disqualification of both players

however, it is fine for the players to say "we'll split the prizes at the end, no matter the match result"
you can split prizes, it just can't affect a match or game result
proud member of the 2011 community team
however, it is fine for the players to say "we'll split the prizes at the end, no matter the match result"
you can split prizes, it just can't affect a match or game result

This does not make sense to me.  In the case mentioned above, this arrangement punishes my firned for winning (neither player gets a prize) but rewards him for losing (one player gets a prize, which is split between both players.)  That seems like a huge incentive to throw the match.
then throw the match and share the prize
the two just can't be connected by an agreement
then throw the match and share the prize
the two just can't be connected by an agreement

Assuming this happened, and the player who threw the match admitted to doing so, would either player be culpable?  Would it make a difference if the winner knew about the other player throwing the match?  What about if he found out after the match was already complete?  Is the winner obligated to report the plater who threw the match? 

This arrangement is just asking for these types of things to happen, and I am very surprised it is legal.
you can concede a game or match at any time
you can also share your prizes with anyone you want, since they are your property

the winner doesn't have to report the player who threw the match, other than reporting the match result
you can concede a game or match at any time
you can also share your prizes with anyone you want, since they are your property

I agree with all of this.  However, consider the followinng scenario:

The situation mentioned above happens, where one player in a match has a chance of winning prizes if they win and the other does not.  The player with a chance of winning makes an agreement to split all prizes with his/her opponent.
At this point, the player with no chance of winning prizes has two choices:

1. Play the match to win, potentially getting no prizes.
2. Throw the match, getting half of the opponent's prizes.

This player will very likely concede or throw the match in order to get prizes due to a prioir agreement.  In this case, it seems that technically both the agreement and all actions taken were legal, but the result does not seem legal at all.

Where am I going wrong in my logic?
There's nothing wrong with your logic. Enigma's suggested a pretty sneaky way to get around the rules is all (hey, that's what we do here!)

There is an important difference between "Hey, I'll throw the match if you share your prize" and "let's share the prize regardless," however. The first situation is clearly a bribe. Prize material is being awarded in return for the match result being corrupted. In the second example, the players' intentions (as they pertain to the game) are left out. It's possible that the losing player is more concerned with his Planeswalker points and just wants to get a shot at a free prize. It's possible that the winning player could care less about his boosters and just wants to win a free trip to Hawaii. It's possible that neither player is all that concerned with who wins anyway and they'd just both like to go home with some cards. Contrast the first example, where it's clear that importance is being placed on both the prize material and the match result.
Just remember that no matter what decision you make, it is your conscience that you have to live with at the end of the day. 

It is pretty simple, some people could live with it and others couldn't. 
Sign In to post comments