ways to ignore fire resistance/immunity

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am building a level 8 fire elementalist & i have 2 feats open.  i wondering if there are any ways to ignore or reduce resistance to my fire damage.  i have gloves of piercing.  The character is built arround having many resistences himself.(Resist 10 fire, resist 10 acid, resist 10 force,  resist 5 cold, resist 5 poison, resist 5 thunder)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Mordent, level 8
Genasi, Sorcerer (Elementalist)
Elemental Specialty Option: Fire Elementalist
Elemental Manifestation Option: Causticsoul
Baldur's Gate (Baldur's Gate Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 20, DEX 12, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 12, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 24 Fort: 21 Ref: 18 Will: 22
HP: 67 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +9, Streetwise +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Athletics +4, Bluff +10, Endurance +11, Heal +4, History +5, Insight +4, Intimidate +8, Nature +6, Perception +4, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Thievery +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Genasi Racial Power: Acid Surge
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Bolt
Sorcerer Attack: Ignition
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Escalation (Fire)
Sorcerer Utility 2: Deep Shroud
Sorcerer Utility 6: Lightning Shift

FEATS
Level 2: Manifest Resistance
Level 4: Unarmored Agility
Level 6: Versatile Resistance

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Brooch of Shielding +2 x1
Eyes of Charming (heroic tier) x1
Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier) x1
Viper Belt x1
Gloves of Piercing x1
Boots of Jaunting x1
Scintillating Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
Staff of Fiery Might +2 x1
Rhythm Blade Dagger +1 x1
====== End ======

You are lacking hit and damage, so Superior Implement Prof and Expertise should be your two feats. Would personally scrap the resistance feats for more damage or Imp Defenses. Would also change your stats to a 18/14 array over the 16/16 - you gain +1 to hit.

As for your question, Burn Everything doesnt work very well for you and you aren't a Tiefling to use Wizard's Wrath with... so I'm not sure what else you can do at this level without just adding additional damage types to get around fire resist/immunity.
Ignoring resist on an attack that missed is less worth than hitting with a high-damage attack. Also, not all enemies have resist. Hence: focus on hitting and damage. If you end up with 3 feats (including MC) left: MC Wizard, get novice pyromancer and burn everything. Treat immune fire as resist 25 fire I think, and then ignore all resist fire.
Take superior implement training: incendiary dagger. This will increase your damage rolls by 2/3/4 per tier, and gives a +1 to hit vs reflex, aka Elemental Bolt which is what you will be casting almost 100% of the time. War Wizard's Expertise gives you an attack bonus as well plus makes ally-unfriendly Ignition less likely to damage your party in the event that you can group up several enemies but have an ally in the way.

Dragonflame Mantle and Sudden Scales are better choices for utility powers 2 and 6 respectively, although if you go with Deep Shroud then take the Hidden Sniper feat you can sustain combat advantage for 1 fight/day. Eagle Eye Goggles as your head slot item will provide additional attack bonus for your Elemental Bolt as well. If you can get it, Weapon of Speed is a fantastic dagger for elementalists. There is also the Wyrmtooth Dagger to solve some reistance problems, or at a higher level Elemental Twist Weapon. As it stands right now though, you lack the dex required (13) for Dual Implement Spellcaster, which somewhat limits your options.

Feat-wise, there is also the option of taking Arcane Admixture at paragon and tacking the cold keyword onto your attacks, then taking Arcane Fire for 5 cold vuln when hitting with fire attacks. Gives you +5 damage assuming you can make more than 1 attack vs an enemy before they drop.
Ignoring resist on an attack that missed is less worth than hitting with a high-damage attack. Also, not all enemies have resist. Hence: focus on hitting and damage. If you end up with 3 feats (including MC) left: MC Wizard, get novice pyromancer and burn everything. Treat immune fire as resist 25 fire I think, and then ignore all resist fire.

Doesn't work.  The multiclass wizard feats don't actually give you arcane implement mastery; they give you the ability to wield wizard implements.  The only way to get Arcane Implement Mastery is Implement Master, which requires paragon multiclassing with a wizard.  Then you'd still need Implement Master, and then you could use a feat to take School of Magic Apprentice and get pyromancer.  Basically, there is no good way to get a hold of the school of magic feature as a non-mage.  And Burn Everything is a trap for non-pyromancers (it's good for them to take, since it lets them ignore fire immunity, but for everyone else, there are better ways).

Dolcet- run with WizardDidIt's advice.  You want Superior Implement Training: Incendiary Dagger, and and either White Lotus Dueling or War Wizard's Expertise (I'd go with the latter, personally). Wyrmtooth Dagger and Weapon of Speed, if you can get it (I'm not a fan of Elemental Twist- costs too much for what it does).

You'll pick up Dual Implement Spellcaster in Paragon anyways, and your dex will hit 13 then.

As a note- make sure that you note that ignition, while an arcane fire attack that benefits from fire bonuses, doesn't actually do fire damage, so it ignores fire resistance anyways.
The multiclass wizard feats don't actually give you arcane implement mastery [...] you'd still need Implement Master, and then you could use a feat to take School of Magic Apprentice and get pyromancer.  Basically, there is no good way to get a hold of the school of magic feature as a non-mage.  And Burn Everything is a trap for non-pyromancers (it's good for them to take, since it lets them ignore fire immunity, but for everyone else, there are better ways).

I was not aware that there were additional hoops to jump through in order to get School of Magic Apprentice. I just assumed that you could simply MC Wizard and then get School of Magic Apprentice (pyromancer). Since this was wrong my whole reasoning falls and should be ignored in this thread and I learned to check facts before getting enthusiastic and handing out advice.

There's a generic feat I can't recall the name of (Surging Flame, maybe?) that gives you 5 extra damage on fire attacks against resistant enemies. The vast majority of other resistance-piercing feats are specific to either Tieflings or Wizards, because **** you that's why.
Yeah Surging Flame is the feat. If you were a tiefling and wanted to stay strictly within fire you can combine Surging Flame with Hellfire of Mephistopheles and MC wiz for Burn Everything, but thats a high feat investment for medicore results (+race dependent). You are better off going with Arcane Admixture to bypass the resist/immunity and open up frostcheese options, or admix thunder and grab Mark of the Storm + Quickbeam Staff if you would like to be a bit of a controller.
thunder is also fun for resounding thunder in paragon!
thunder is also fun for resounding thunder in paragon!

He is making single-target RBAs... they don't really get bigger.

it should have been exceedingly clear I was talking about Ignition, but I was talking about Ignition.

yes, EB is almost always a better choice. Growing ignition by a burst size makes it far less situational, and, conveniently, it comes with a built in means of piercing fire resistance by not actually doing fire damage with the hit line.

it should have been exceedingly clear I was talking about Ignition, but I was talking about Ignition.

yes, EB is almost always a better choice. Growing ignition by a burst size makes it far less situational, and, conveniently, it comes with a built in means of piercing fire resistance by not actually doing fire damage with the hit line.

See previous response. You're making single-target RBAs, they don't get bigger. This is a way of hinting very broadly that you should never not be spending your standards on making RBAs. Just like a charger, you have one trick. Chances are if you're not doing that trick and investing every resource into that trick, you are doing it wrong.

Having actually played an elementalist, there are times when a well-placed 5x5 ignition is better than an Elemental Bolt.

of course, there are many variables afoot that can make this more or less likely. DM, party comp, enemy type, your initiative roll. and you have control over none of them, so of course, the vast majority of your build choices should go into benefitting Elemental Bolt.

much like with any optimized charger build, EB should be your primary trick, and is better than any other choice the vast majority of the time. 

much like with any optimized charger build, your party and DM will hate you less and your character will be less dull to play if you recognize those relatively rare situations in which your "trick" is not the optimal choice, and have a backup plan for those situations.
But you shouldn't invest in things that aren't your trick. Having ignition around is fine, dumping two feats into it is not. Critical difference.

Also odds are if you're playing an e-striker, all you care about is killing things with large numbers. If that bores you, you shouldn't be playing an e-striker, or possibly any striker.

There simply aren't 16 feats that benefit elemental bolt. spending two feats on ignition sometime in paragon is extremely reasonable, but should only be done after you've done everything you can for EB. 
tiiiiieeeeeeeefffffffllliiiiiinnnnnnggggggggggg.
Sign In to post comments