Newbie Skeletal Lancer Question

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi folks,

I've recently played my third game of Dungeon Command which was my first with Curse of Undeath. Cracking game and love the faction rules. I do have a query which is no doubt blindingly obvious but I couldn't find an answer.

The Skeletal Lancer has the "Rider" ability which states (in simple terms) when it is destroyed, replace it with a Skeleton model of Level 3 or less. 

Does this Skeleton have to come from your current Creature Hand, in which case if I'm holding no Skeletons at that time, I lose out on this ability?

Thanks in advance for helping out.
 Smile      

Yes, it has to come from your hand. All deployment rules are in force when using this ability. Creature must be in your hand and must not increase total creature levels above you current leadership.
Thanks for that bugging_bear. I'll just need to be canny about fielding the Lancer when I have a Skeleton in my hand (or can be confident of getting one) to make sure I can exploit his Rider ability.

Great stuff! 
Yeah, Rider ability has some restrictive implications for warband design. I had similar constraints with Goblin Wolf Rider in my goblins warband. IMO the ability is only pretty good if you get to take advantage of maximizing the level of the rider (meaning Goblin Champion and Tomb Guardian, depending on which Rider we're talking about), *and* have a fallback plan for a smaller unit (all the level 1 goblins, the level 2 Skeleton). Already that means taking a couple of spots in your creatures deck in order to properly benefit from Rider.

Note though that the creature is still somewhat decent even without Rider. Skeleton Rider has a lot of HPs for its level, and Goblin Wolf Rider has a really good selection of abilities.  
Yeah, Rider ability has some restrictive implications for warband design. I had similar constraints with Goblin Wolf Rider in my goblins warband. IMO the ability is only pretty good if you get to take advantage of maximizing the level of the rider (meaning Goblin Champion and Tomb Guardian, depending on which Rider we're talking about), *and* have a fallback plan for a smaller unit (all the level 1 goblins, the level 2 Skeleton). Already that means taking a couple of spots in your creatures deck in order to properly benefit from Rider.

Note though that the creature is still somewhat decent even without Rider. Skeleton Rider has a lot of HPs for its level, and Goblin Wolf Rider has a really good selection of abilities.  

Hopefully as more sets gets published (fingers crossed) we'll have enough diversity in our creatures and cards to put together a rider centric warband.
DarkAngel1979 - Thats a good point. I do like the Lancer as a creature, the restrictions it places on what I hold in my Creature Hand are a compromise I'm more than willing to make.

Thanks again for your advice folks. 
Hopefully as more sets gets published (fingers crossed) we'll have enough diversity in our creatures and cards to put together a rider centric warband.

I'm not sure how that would work. The current mount/rider creatures are fairly specific. Even if they came out with more of them you would still need to cross your fingers that you pull the wolf rider/lancer type cards first and then have the appropriate monster drop card to use afterwards. Unless there are  some new order cards that combo really well with riders I don't see how a rider centric warband could be really possible.
I'm not sure how that would work. The current mount/rider creatures are fairly specific. Even if they came out with more of them you would still need to cross your fingers that you pull the wolf rider/lancer type cards first and then have the appropriate monster drop card to use afterwards. Unless there are  some new order cards that combo really well with riders I don't see how a rider centric warband could be really possible.

Agreed, it seems unlikely that a rider deck would work well consistently.