several questions about your D&D experiences

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
1. what was your first Impression of D&D? (Before you played it)
for me, All I thought it was, was one guy, telling a story, than everyone else explains what they wanna do, the one guy, rolls a d20 and says "that works" :/ i didnt think there was different Die and all that for various things, lol

2. How do you compare 4e to the others and the first you played?
I never played any other so I can't answer.

3. how was your first game? odd? fun? silly? lot of mistakes?
for me, I had bout.. 5 minutes to read all rules (with the essentials) until my friends raged til  the game started. we ended up doing that course run, where you get to be a rogue/fighter/mage, but they wanted a campaign after that, so in 5 minutes(Still not understanding the rules much) I ended up grabing skeletons + Goblins and a few thugs, and through a Necromancer in their to fulfil their desires (with a giant wolf and an ogre for sub-bosses) a friend was annoying me, so I ended up killing off his character (by killing off. i mean left his character behind in a dark dungeon, with a 400 pound wolf stuck on his rogue, as he had a broken leg from the ogre he knocked out earlier) lol.

4. When Dming, do you ever make your own character to play? if so, do you actually do anything with the character? or is it just there as a "Filler" or someone to back up the party?
for me, I had a character, but ended up feeling weird DMing and playing, so I pretty much let him be a support and not doing much except back up for the other members.

5. how was making your first campaign?
Other than what I said in number 3, for me, I can't really make a campaign, I have the general idea. i just can't seem to get myself to right it down, or continue
basic thiing (Using Elder scrolls lore since im very familar with it)
the party, is part of the fighters guild in Cyrodill, and is lead to Anvil to meet a contact to discuss the terms and what to do for their contract, they meet him in the upper rooms of "The Count's Arms" and see the hooded figure, (I was thinking if one of them could do a skill check., not sure if its perception? but if they did the right check can realize he is a vampire) and the contract is to go out to the castle, and in the dungeon is a secret door leading to a cave, which is filled with skeletons/zombies and the goal is, to find a group of necromancers and slay each one (Vampires can't harm necros in my story, since necros control the dead, and vamps are well...dead) so either
A) the party is mindless about the whole, helping a clan of vampires, or
B) they find out their vampires and can go report to the guard/help out/try to join vamp clan/whatver they set mind to(but knowing them they'd eitherr attack or do the quest then attack)

and afterwards, while fighting the necromancers, find a odd object, and if they pass the skill check,  find out its an artifact from the daedra lord Molag Bal (the creator of vampires) and end up getting questions from him, if they don't pass the check, the artifact starts causing trouble for the party until they find out something about it (or they could ignore it and we go back to it, i can't make up sub quests easily)

I just don't really know how to make all that ^^ story like..which is odd since im writing 4 different stories.
1. The group had played a lot of Hero Quest before we started with RPGs, so I had a pretty good idea what it was like.

2. I haven't played it very much, but I like it a lot. Especially combats.

3. I can't really recall, it was too long ago. All I remember is that I stabbed a demon-thing with my sword which made it explode like a balloon, instantly killing my character.

4. Never.

5. Surprisingly easy. I asked the players what they wanted to play. They wanted dungeons. I had plenty of experience playing dungeons under several DMs, so I just drew on that knowledge and built a bunch of crypts, magic vaults, etc. I made sure to include some features for each character to take advantage of (pits for the wizard to push monsters into, little campfires for the warlock to trigger rebuke, that sort of stuff), a couple of secrets for them to figure out, and a few nasty boss encounters that were very challenging.

4. When Dming, do you ever make your own character to play? if so, do you actually do anything with the character? or is it just there as a "Filler" or someone to back up the party?

1.   I knew nothing of it before I played it.   Someone just broke out the game one day and we started playing.   It was my first role-playing game and I found it refreshing different from any other game I had played.

2.   Storywise, roleplaying wise, I think no version is the slightest bit better than any other, despite what others think.   Mechanically, I think it is by far the best system, as it allows all classes to do cool stuff, even within that class.

3.   Awkward, but fun.   Lots of mistakes.    A quick anecdote from my first DM session:  I was trying to relate to the players that not every creature you'll encounter is automatically an enemy that needs to be killed.   Shortly afterwards, when 5 arrow hits did not drop a minotaur, one player says "Wait, friend."   I laughed a lot.   "He's got 5 arrows in him!"

4.   I have once or twice, but I'm now a firm believer that a DMPC is ALWAYS a bad idea.   Always.

5.   I made lots of mistakes (railroading, two-dimensional NPCs, etc), but I learned a ton.

1. I thought it was a board game with cool miniatures.

2. 4e is much more gamist/balance oriented than previous editions.

3. My first game was a fun learning experience run at a game store.

4. The DM should never run a PC. He can run plenty of NPC's, but never a DMPC (this is the vast concensus from many discussions on the "What's a DM to Do?" board).

5. I first focused on running each session. The overarching campaign arch made itself. Having a pre-determined, intended story for the campaign can often be limiting (and annoying to players). Try LFR.
1. I saw people playing with dice in the hall, so I sat down with them and told them to tell me how to play.  We are still friends to this day, 12 years later.

2.  More balanced, streamlined and fun.  I like being able to grasp all the basic quickly and wing the rest while still being within the rules.

3. My first game was afterschool on the floor in one of the buildings of my high school.  I would say it was fun, confusing and amazing.  The DM was someone who was big on letting the players do whatever and just developed the story from there.

4. I'm going to disagree with the idea that the DM should never run a PC.  I've run a few DMPCs in my time, but only for short periods of time.  Here are a couple of examples of times I've run DMPCs:
1) I think someone who may want to try the game / watch the game might be coming in the next session and I want something simple they can play to see how the system works, and something I can control without thinking about it.  A literal short-term placeholder for a PC.
2) We don't have enough players so I default to playing an enabling leader that is straight forward and keep my Immediate cards on top of the creature sheets.  Lazylords work best because all the focus stays on the players.

5. I made campaigns for a number of years completely on the fly.  Everything I did (cept for monster stats) was done completely randomly as I went.  I'm naturally pretty good at improv so that worked well.  There were times where I would say what they were fighting at the start and I didn't know what it actually was until half-way through the combat.  Later on I tackled the idea of making a sandbox module and it has gone really well.  I made the mod 3 years ago and I have run through portions of it 8 times so far.  Nobody ever takes the same paths and a couple of people have done short runs in it (3-4 levels) more than once.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

I expected it to be a board game with a 'dungeon' laid out on the table, and you moved your character around the dungeon based on a die roll.  This was 1979, so the idea of RPGs was very new.

Certainly the best version of D&D, so far.  Vastly superior to the Basic D&D I first tried, of course (it's been 32 years, it darn well /should/ have improved!).  Compared to other RPGs I've played over the years, though, 4e is merely decent.  

Completely whacked.  Among the concepts we didn't initially 'get' were class, level, and rolling hit points... movement and positioning?  Nope, too much for us, if you entered a room with 10 bandits (and bandits did seem to hang out in dungeons even more so than orcs with my first DM), all 10 attacked you every round. 

Not really.  I might include an NPC to do something the PCs need or to provide a point of view or something, but I rarely have NPCs take meaningful actions unless the PCs specifically ask them to do something, or it's to move the game along.  

Fun, but I really over-did it.  I created a whole lame fantasy world with tons of details that never mattered.  

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I had never heard of Dungeons & Dragons before I played for the first time (summer camp, 1978)

It did not have the strange new wonder that my first game had, but my fun across 30+ years of playing was not diminished by any new edition (until now, but I am hoping my Next playtest experience is nothing like what playing Next will be when it is done). 4e is my favorite edition as a DM, and I cannot imagine playing an older edition with as much enjoyment now that I have played 4e. (This statement has been true for each previously new edition as well.)

Odd. (We played by flashlight under a "sleeping bag tent" on the top bunk by the door of the Cherokee cabin after lights out each night)
Fun. (I had a blast, and was hooked forever more.)
Silly. (We took our warhorses into the caves of the unknown and had them fight alonghside our PCs!
Mistakes. (We through you rolled 1dX for hit points at first level, 2dX at second, and 3dX at third, making our 3rd level PCs have as many hit points as a 6th level PC should have!)

4. When Dming, do you ever make your own character to play?
Not since I was in a two-player game in high school (26+ years ago)

A blast, but not nearly as easy back then in 1e as it is now in 4e.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
1: wondering what the big deal was. It was some game my brother was playing with his friends. In order to include me, they made a character for me, which they let get killed in the first fight so they could loot the body. Yeah, I had that kind of brother.

2: best system yet, aside from the uneven support and utter lack of editing.

3: see 1

4. Started with a full-fledged character. Now I play it as a monster to keep it easier.

5. old 1st Ed modules, slapped together with no attempt at linking them or graph-paper maps that were excuses to hand out treasure. Oh, 1st Edition...
I had never heard of Dungeons & Dragons before I played for the first time (summer camp, 1978)

It did not have the strange new wonder that my first game had, but my fun across 30+ years of playing was not diminished by any new edition (until now, but I am hoping my Next playtest experience is nothing like what playing Next will be when it is done). 4e is my favorite edition as a DM, and I cannot imagine playing an older edition with as much enjoyment now that I have played 4e. (This statement has been true for each previously new edition as well.)

Odd. (We played by flashlight under a "sleeping bag tent" on the top bunk by the door of the Cherokee cabin after lights out each night)
Silly. (We took our warhorses into the caves of the unknown and had them fight alonghside our PCs!
Mistakes. (We through you rolled 1dX for hit points at first level, 2dX at second, and 3dX at third, making our 3rd level PCs have as many hit points as a 6th level PC should have!)

Hey, this is a bit random, but when you mention a Cherokee cabin, what camp was it at? I also attend(ed) a camp with several Cherokee cabins (Falling Creek Camp), and while I'm sure it's a common name, I was curious.

Hey, this is a bit random, but when you mention a Cherokee cabin, what camp was it at? I also attend(ed) a camp with several Cherokee cabins (Falling Creek Camp), and while I'm sure it's a common name, I was curious.

I feel like Cherokee is one of the most common summer camp cabin group names.  I too was at a camp with a Cherokee unit (Camp Piomingo).
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

YMCA Camp Crosley on Lake Wesbter in Indiana.

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

YMCA Camp Crosley on Lake Wesbter in Indiana.

Wow, I actually went up there for part of a summer as a kid as well.  I wonder how close to my neck-o-the-woods you really are...
Show
Wow, I actually went up there for part of a summer as a kid as well.  I wonder how close to my neck-o-the-woods you really are...

I lived in Indiana from 1976 until 1998. North Carolina transplant ever since. (Army brat before 1976.)

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Why do you ask?

I played AD&D 1st and 2nd Editions in the old days, and then gave up D&D because it was too simplistic. Played other games (particularly Shadowrun) in the meantime. So when we went back to D&D...

1. Too simplistic a system for my tastes.
2. It's an odd mixture of more and less open ended than the earlier editions. More character options, I think.
3. It took about sixty seconds to make a character...
4. No.
5. Haven't DMed.
A game where you got to play heroes and some guy named the DM made up adventures for you to play in.  I thought it was like a board game.  I did not know how improvisational it was.

4e brought back a lot of the basic flavor of 1e that I loved, but combined it with a good amount of balance.  4e is still my favorite edition to date.

Totally goofy.  My mage was named Akron and armed only with Charm Person I somehow managed to commandeer the Keep on the Borderlands.  I don't think I ever made it to the Caves of Chaos.

I never do.  I don't think my ego should get in the way of the players' enjoyment. 

Loved it.  It's one of the things I love most about DMing.  (And I love a lot about DMing.)  I've created maybe a half-dozen campaign worlds for my D&D campaign, and at least one campaign world for a LARP which is still being played.
Sign In to post comments