Multiple attack rolls and damage rolls on powers

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was looking at Brutal Barrage (13th level at will for Battlemind) and noticed something odd.  
It says it has multiple attacks rolls, but does not do damage on every hit.  Twin Strike for the Ranger states that it does damage on every hit.

Brutal Barrage has this

Attack: Constitution vs. AC. Make the attack three times.

Hit: Constitution modifier damage.

Effect: If you hit the target two or more times, it falls prone.

So it seems that the extra rolls are only there to improve your chance of hitting and only creates an effect if it hits more than once, but it always does Con mod damage only once.

Twin Strike says this

Attack: Strength vs. AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks

Hit: 1[W] damage per attack.

I think the per attack is the difference maker and since Brutal Barrage does not say Con mod damage per attack, it only does the Con mod damage once.  

I believe I'm reading this correctly, but I noticed the Char Op seems to think differently as most of the builds depend on damage per hit.  I think I could find more examples of this as well...I was just wondering if this has ever been noticed.
When did this formatting change happen...where is this rule change stated?  The Players Handbook does not say that, so where would I find that written?
 There wasn't a formatting change.

You are confusing the concepts "Attack" with "Attack Roll".

An Attack is the entire... Attack.  An Attack Roll is just the roll.

Stop posting your misinformation in 10 different places. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
You execute the Hit: line of a power every time you hit with it. Go read the power rules.

From where? the PHB 1 does not say this, that is why I asked if it was a change.

You execute the Hit: line of a power every time you hit with it. Go read the power rules.

From where? the PHB 1 does not say this, that is why I asked if it was a change.

Attack:
An attack roll and its effects, including any damage rolls. The word “attack” is sometimes used as shorthand for “attack power.” Some attack powers include multiple attacks, and some powers, such as magic missile, are designated as attacks yet lack attack rolls (using such a power counts as making an attack if the power has a target).

That is the RC entry for attack.

Since you ask about PHB 1

MAKING AN ATTACK p269
All attacks follow the same basic process:
1. Choose the attack you’ll use. Each attack has an attack type.
2. Choose targets for the attack (page 272). Each target must be within range (page 273). Check whether you can see and target your enemies (page 273).
3. Make an attack roll (page 273).
4. Compare your attack roll to the target’s defense
(page 274) to determine whether you hit or miss.
5. Deal damage and apply other effects (page 276).

So that is exactly where it states it.

1. Choose BB
2. Target a creature in range.
3. Roll an Attack Roll.
4. Compare to defenses
5.  If it hits deal damage and other effects.  One of the other effects is to make this attack more than once. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Sign In to post comments