Engineering in D&D 4E

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, this may just be my love for WoW engineering, but are there feats or skills connected to such a thing(usable in medieval fantasy)?
All of Eberron?

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

Also, the Artificer. (I know it is part of Eberron, but it bears repeating)
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Also, the Artificer. (I know it is part of Eberron, but it bears repeating)

It isn't specific to Eberron, though.
When it comes to construction, I usually have my players use Dungeoneering for design and Athletics for physically putting it together. (That's assuming you're building a table or a house, something large where balance and weight distribution are important.) Athletics comes into play primarily because of the Martial Practices that lets you create mundane weapons, armor and items all require Athletics training.

So when it comes to making anything not on the equipment lists, I just say "Make an Athletics check." (With a few exceptions depending on circumstances.)

If you want to make a really talented engineer character, I'd suggest you play an Artificer, as it has the best Ritual Caster feature for making items and all of its powers can easily be reflavored as created items. Then, take a multiclass feat in any martial class and take the Practiced Study (MP2) feat, which lets you get access to martial practices.

You may be out two feats you could've spent on raw power, but you'll make up for it by being able to create anything.

EDIT: Oh, and there's an artificer exclusive feat in the EPG (I forget the name, sorry), that lets you enchant signficantly higher level items than other ritual casters.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)

You could also throw in Thievery for mechanical things.  Its no more of a stretch than dungeoneering.  I would let the play describe what they are doing and how their character might come up with something, let them pick the skills.  Or you might just go with straight ability checks.  

If it really cool just tell them to roll a d20.  unless it comes up really bad, they succeed.  And if they roll really back, think of some way for a partial success.  Make it a group check to normalize it.  It's great for players to come up cool, inventive and interesting stuff, and when they do, they need to succeed a little bit just because.  Call it an extension of plot armor.  If your players are talking about the time they did xyz months later, you, Mr. DM, are the man!

TjD

Just found out Eberron is 3.5e. I know, I'm a little slow on the pickup of the new D&D, the last lengthy play I was a part of was 2e, and this run is on 4e. I do get the feeling, and I hope I'm right, that stuff from 3.5e can fairly easily be adapted to work with 4e, right?

As it stands, I have a human dragon-sorcerer, and I'm wanting to see, if only to see if it can be done, if there was any way I could add an ability that he could use to make mechanical constructs infused with magic, without having to opt out of being a dragon-sorcerer.

The character of the character is well-fleshed in my head, and dragon-sorcery is in his blood(both meanings). I have it planned out(with a little flexibility allowed)what powers he'll get along his levelling, but feats are still fairly open.

Forgive me for making this sound like it belongs in character development, but in general, I just wanted to know if such a thing as advanced engineering existed in 4e D&D. 
Eberron exists in 4E as well. You can easily go with the artificer class for this character as you describe it. You can also look for existing backgrounds or create a new one to add something specific. Check them on PHB2 and several other sources, best place to look is at the Character Builder.
Just found out Eberron is 3.5e. I know, I'm a little slow on the pickup of the new D&D, the last lengthy play I was a part of was 2e, and this run is on 4e. I do get the feeling, and I hope I'm right, that stuff from 3.5e can fairly easily be adapted to work with 4e, right?

As it stands, I have a human dragon-sorcerer, and I'm wanting to see, if only to see if it can be done, if there was any way I could add an ability that he could use to make mechanical constructs infused with magic, without having to opt out of being a dragon-sorcerer.

The character of the character is well-fleshed in my head, and dragon-sorcery is in his blood(both meanings). I have it planned out(with a little flexibility allowed)what powers he'll get along his levelling, but feats are still fairly open.

Forgive me for making this sound like it belongs in character development, but in general, I just wanted to know if such a thing as advanced engineering existed in 4e D&D. 

No 3.5 stuff os not easy to adapt to 4e. If your gonna play 4e your gonna need 4e stuff. The ideas/fluff in other editions are just as valid as the 4e stuff. But mechanically 4e, and 3.5 are very, very, very, very (can't emphasize this enough) different. 4e has Eberron, go with that. You should be able to pick up the Eberron books cheaply on Amazon.

And for your Advanced Engineering, I'm confused if you mean as advanced as WoW (Uhg I don't even like saying that) then yes. Everything in D&D surpasses WoW in terms on complexity. If it didn't you wouldn't need to ask questions.

Though I would go with what everyone is saying here... Play an Artificer. They are magic classes that deal with rituals, alchemy, creating and building minions, etc. But if you really want the Sorcerer mix go Hybrid Sorcerer Artificer, then take a multiclass feat into a martial class and take the the Martial Practice feat.  

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Maybe for someone well-versed in both editions.  Not for someone new to both of them.

Pick up the 4e Eberron Player's Guide, and pick up a multiclass Artificer feat.  You could maybe ask your DM if you could take some of the Artificer powers and use Charisma for them, too.  
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
Check out this blog article I wrote 18 months ago.