Confusion in the Ranks?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

Confusion in the Ranks seems like a fun card.
    Could you explain some of the interactions for me please?

I assume a Celestial Colonnade transforming into a creature will not cause it to trigger?

Will any stolen creatures/artifacts etc., be in the same state they were when I stole them? 
ie - I steal a tapped creature or artifact for example, or a creature with summoning sickness.... 

If I had a Liquimetal Coating in play, could I tap it in response to the trigger from CitR, and swap an opponents' anything on the table, with the artifact I just played?

Thanks.
1. Correct.  An object changing characteristics from noncreature to creature does not count as a creature entering the battlefield.

2.  Yes.  Nothing in Confusion in the Ranks' text gives the permanent you choose any change of status.  If it was tapped when they controlled it, it'll remain tapped when you gain control of it.  The same goes for summoning sickness, as CitR doesn't grant haste to creatures. 
If I had a Liquimetal Coating in play, could I tap it in response to the trigger from CitR, and swap an opponents' anything on the table, with the artifact I just played?

no, not this way
you need to use Liquimetal Coating before your artifact enters the battlefield, when it enters and Confusion triggers you need to choose among the permanents that are artifact at that moment, you don't get priority to do something
proud member of the 2011 community team
As for the Liquimetal Coating trick, it works, but not as you described. You can't tap it in response to the trigger, as the target is chosen when the trigger is first put on the stack, and the target is "permanent another player control that shares a type" - and at that time, a nonartifact won't be able to be targetted by the ETB of an only-artifact.

However, you can activate Liquimetal Coating before your artifact enters the battlefield (ie. in response to casting it), so that the desired permanent is an artifact before the trigger goes off.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Great to know.

Thank you gentlemen! 
I think I'm gonna have fun stealing planeswalkers.....
Quick question....
Confusion in the ranks and Hypergenesis.   My head hurts!  
all Confusion triggers are put on the stack in APNAP order after Hypergenesis has finished

if by the time the trigger wants to resolve you already control the targetted permanent it will be countered, and you get to keep yours
proud member of the 2011 community team
This will take a while. I pulled this off in a four player game once. It took us half an hour to sort out who got what.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman