PEACH Gnome paladin.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, I came up with this when I saw the Gnome Nightcloak PP and wondered if I could do something with it. Any ways to make it better? This character is built to be LFR legal.

EDIT New build see first post on second page or also here.

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gath, level 11
Gnome, Paladin, Gnome Nightcloak
Build: Virtuous Paladin
Silent Hunter (Silent Hunter Benefit)
Theme: Haunted Blade

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 12, DEX 12, INT 11, WIS 14, CHA 23

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 10, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 18

AC: 30 Fort: 22 Ref: 23 Will: 26
HP: 87 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +16, Perception +13, Religion +10, Stealth +20, Streetwise +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +7, Athletics +7, Bluff +11, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +6, Heal +7, History +5, Insight +7, Intimidate +11, Nature +7, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Haunted Blade Utility: Blade of Nightmares
Gnome Racial Power: Fade Away
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
Paladin Feature: Divine Mettle
Paladin Feature: Divine Strength
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Paladin Feature: Lay on Hands
Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Enfeebling Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin Attack 1: Glorious Charge
Paladin Attack 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin Utility 2: Call of Challenge
Fighter Utility 2: Battle Fury Stance
Paladin Attack 3: Hold Fast
Paladin Attack 3: Avenging Smite
Paladin Attack 5: Unyielding Faith
Stealth Utility 10: Immersed in Darkness
Gnome Nightcloak Attack 11: Shadowstride Rebuke

FEATS
Level 1: Pick Expertise
Level 2: Battle Awareness
Level 4: Gnome Weapon Training
Level 6: Small Warrior's Defense
Level 8: Acolyte Power
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Advantageous Perspective

ITEMS
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Sacrificial War Pick +3 x1
Collar of Recovery +2 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Friend's Gift (heroic tier)
Karach Gith Plate Armor +3 x1
====== End ======
====== End ======
Pretty straightforward. You can squeeze a little more out by starting with 17 instead if 18 CHA since you can retrain your stats every level. Might want Karach Gith Plate +3 instead from Dragonn 414 so you aren't moving at speed 4. I would also recommend at least one other source of speed boost to at least get to 6. Unless you are planning on riding the owlbear, in which case you will want to purchase riding boots, lancing gloves, and impenetrable barding (all updated to be common items).
Thanks. That armor was one of the things I was hoping to find. 

I was thinking about riding the owlbear, but I have some teleports, the 11 level power and the action point benefit both give teleports, so once I teleport I dismount, I don't know if I want to focus on being mounted because of that.

Dan
Not exactly on-topic, but now you guys have me thinking about Sir Didymus and Ambrosius.

More on-topic, the only thing you lose out on with picking up the barding is some cash.  So I guess the main question is are there significantly better items for you to get using the cash and/or slots for the boots and gloves?  Especially since you aren't currently using those slots?
I have a halfling cavalier|ardent named Sir Didymus His Ambrosius is a displacer beast though.

The main reason I haven't done a Nightcloak is for the reason brought up here - the powers really just don't work when you're mounted and a gnome knight is just way more fun when you're riding something. Not to mention a nightcloak wants to make good use of his stealth and a mount makes it kind of obvious where he is.  The two just don't work well together.

I think the big difference here from a typical paladin is that you don't want to be front-and-center. Boost your mark penalties and punishment as much as you can, because you can practically force it to happen if you make good use of your stealth.
I have a halfling cavalier|ardent named Sir Didymus His Ambrosius is a displacer beast though.

The main reason I haven't done a Nightcloak is for the reason brought up here - the powers really just don't work when you're mounted and a gnome knight is just way more fun when you're riding something. Not to mention a nightcloak wants to make good use of his stealth and a mount makes it kind of obvious where he is.  The two just don't work well together.

I think the big difference here from a typical paladin is that you don't want to be front-and-center. Boost your mark penalties and punishment as much as you can, because you can practically force it to happen if you make good use of your stealth.

As far as the stealth goes, if you take the mounted combat feat, your mount can be as stealthy as you are 
As far as the stealth goes, if you take the mounted combat feat, your mount can be as stealthy as you are 

True. I guess you could both make a hide check after a move. Looking into it, it was the AP feature and E11 that were a drag, allowing you to teleport but not your mount.  Don't suppose there's anything like the Saddle of the Nightmare but in reverse? Evermeet would work, but then you're not a Nightcloak...

True. I guess you could both make a hide check after a move. Looking into it, it was the AP feature and E11 that were a drag, allowing you to teleport but not your mount.  Don't suppose there's anything like the Saddle of the Nightmare but in reverse? Evermeet would work, but then you're not a Nightcloak...

Not much can be done for that. Reserve maneuver for the E11, but the AP feature would just be a loss. 
Are you allowed to teleport back onto your mount afterwards? Or is that a no go?
Are you allowed to teleport back onto your mount afterwards? Or is that a no go?

Mounting or dismounting is its own move action, can't be done as part of other movement, even if you can end in the mount's square. Although it would be badass to allow you to teleport in the air above your mount and use acrobatics to land in the saddle.
Ok, I have been thinking about the posts, and I actually like the E11 of the Gnome Nightcloak, so I was thinking about dumping the fey beast, so I don't have to worry about is it a mount and using the teleports. To keep the damage up I took Battle fury Stance. I am not tied to the theme in this new build, I am also looking at Samuri (free shift and draw weapon at the start of combat might have possibilities) ironwrought, sohei. (I'm sticking away from guardian as I now have 3 immediate attacks for people not attacking me and I think 4 is over kill.

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gath, level 11
Gnome, Paladin, Gnome Nightcloak
Build: Virtuous Paladin
Silent Hunter (Silent Hunter Benefit)
Theme: Haunted Blade

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 12, DEX 12, INT 11, WIS 14, CHA 23

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 10, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 18

AC: 30 Fort: 22 Ref: 23 Will: 26
HP: 87 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +16, Perception +13, Religion +10, Stealth +20, Streetwise +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +7, Athletics +7, Bluff +11, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +6, Heal +7, History +5, Insight +7, Intimidate +11, Nature +7, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Haunted Blade Utility: Blade of Nightmares
Gnome Racial Power: Fade Away
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
Paladin Feature: Divine Mettle
Paladin Feature: Divine Strength
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Paladin Feature: Lay on Hands
Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Enfeebling Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin Attack 1: Glorious Charge
Paladin Attack 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin Utility 2: Call of Challenge
Fighter Utility 2: Battle Fury Stance
Paladin Attack 3: Hold Fast
Paladin Attack 3: Avenging Smite
Paladin Attack 5: Unyielding Faith
Stealth Utility 10: Immersed in Darkness
Gnome Nightcloak Attack 11: Shadowstride Rebuke

FEATS
Level 1: Pick Expertise
Level 2: Battle Awareness
Level 4: Gnome Weapon Training
Level 6: Small Warrior's Defense
Level 8: Acolyte Power
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Advantageous Perspective

ITEMS
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Sacrificial War Pick +3 x1
Collar of Recovery +2 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Friend's Gift (heroic tier)
Karach Gith Plate Armor +3 x1
====== End ======
I think you've still got Friend's Gift in there from FBT. Go ahead and grab something else.
I'm not sure I'd invest so much into damage over other stuff, but it depends on how your DM treats marks and how often you expect to be invisible.