Getting Unstuck

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So last time me and my players got together, we all came to an impasse. We literally have no idea where to go next in the story, so I figured I'd come here to see if the fine folks here can't give us some ideas to work with.

A basic run down of what's been going on; The group has been facing off with a group of assassins in each of our campaigns to this point, so they decided during session 0 for this new one that they want to build characters to crush this organization. Going with this idea, we began in a city in the Shadowfell where the party learned that a cell of the assassins was operating. They wasted no time in getting the attention of the assassins by thwarting their plans on multiple fronts, from severing political power, to rebuilding the economy they ruined to traffic illegal goods at a higher price, until the assassins took the fight to the PCs. So far, the battle has been quite public, and it's been upsetting the daily lives of the citizens even more so than life in the Shadowfell does. The newly established power in charge of the city asked the PCs to lead the assassins away from the city while they rebuild and strengthen defenses. With fewer options, they find the lair of this cell in the wilderness, taking the fight to them, but getting overwhelmed from the strength of the enemy's home base. As they retreat, the assassins follow close behind, leading the PCs into a dangerous valley of black glass. The PCs make a stand against the enemy, but in the midst of the battle, a large crag of black glass shatters in the midst of the battle, releasing.... something...

And that's where our current situation is. None of us have any idea what the battle could have let loose on the Shadowfell, but we're all in agreement that we want it to be a bigger threat than both the PCs and the assassin's combined. Anyone got any good ideas that we could utilize to make use of this twist?

Thanks in advance
The Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.
Nerull. The Raven Queen imprisoned him ages ago. He's out now, and immortal, but lost and confused. He wants to help the PCs, but he always goes horribly overboard in his attempts.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

The souls of the (number) most evil and twisted people to have lived. Maybe a "Brotherhood of Evil"-type deal. They were denied an afterlife, but they couldn't be let loose in the Shadowfell either, so they were imprisoned here instead.

You want a really terrifying Eldritch Abomination for this. Cthulu, Dormammu, Trigon, Abeloth, Grendel's Mother, Majin Buu, something like that. Nerull is good, but something that would send him running with a load in his pants would be even better. This would be the time to create a previously unknown villian that no one has ever heard of, that the highest echelons of power in the Multiverse have tried their hardest to erase even the memory of.

What would be even better is if it wasn't immediately obvious. Like, maybe the monster looks like an ordinary person at first. Or they could even be wearing bright colors, like light blue, white, and gold, kind of like typical paladin color-schemes. Or you could go with a "classical Hero" that was so powerful and viscious that the gods had to all band together just to survive. Now the god-slaughterer is returned and it's pissed as hell. Then he blows up the city and eats the terrified citizens as they run screaming in terror. Don't be afraid to make this thing strong enough to make the gods piss their pants. When you don't know where to go, go for broke.
You want a really terrifying Eldritch Abomination for this. Cthulu, Dormammu, Trigon, Abeloth, Grendel's Mother, Majin Buu, something like that. Nerull is good, but something that would send him running with a load in his pants would be even better. This would be the time to create a previously unknown villian that no one has ever heard of, that the highest echelons of power in the Multiverse have tried their hardest to erase even the memory of.

What would be even better is if it wasn't immediately obvious. Like, maybe the monster looks like an ordinary person at first. Or they could even be wearing bright colors, like light blue, white, and gold, kind of like typical paladin color-schemes. Then he blows up the city and eats the terrified citizens as they run screaming in terror. Don't be afraid to make this thing strong enough to make the gods piss their pants. When you don't know where to go, go for broke.

Good advice.

It also gets +9001 points for mentionin Dormammu and Majin Buu in the same post.

I'm on a journey of enlightenment, learning and self-improvement. A journey towards mastery. A journey that will never end. If you challenge me, prepare to be challenged. If you have something to offer as a fellow student, I will accept it. If you call yourself a master, prepare to be humbled. If you seek me, look to the path. I will be traveling it.

Proudly playing in many wrong ways. I'm not afraid of playing wrong according to the rules. Why are you?

100 Crack Reply of the Yagamifire. You are already wrong.

Hehe, Dr. Strange is one of my all time favorite Marvel characters, and I think Dormammu is a pretty awesome villain, and he works well for an Eldritch Abomination.
Or to blatantly plagarize LotR, it could just be a tiny, totally mundane-looking object that just happens to hold immeasurable evil and power.