Introduce Yourself! Board Code and Off Topic Nonsense Reconstrionist Third Series

4781 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ah, Les Miserable.
An American movie about the French who sing like the English.

That bothers me more than anything. They equate the French with English accents.
Gods' sakes, the child is a COCKNEY.

Actually, Les Miserables debuted as a play in England, so most of the accents are derived from precedent instead of authenticity.

The movie left a lot to be desired, I'll have to agree, and I've seen many, many different versions of the musical. But it's really a magnificent play and should definitely not be written off simply because the most recent film version did not have very many good qualities. The shots in the movie were really strung together haphazardly and it's difficult to get any sort of coherent feel for the story that is supposed to be forming. Not to mention the pacing is off and some of the songs came in at the wrong time. :/

I love Hugh Jackman, though. So I'm probably being more kind to this movie than I should be. 

In any case, Les Miserables is truly fantastic. I highly reccomend the 25th Anniversary Broadway version of it to anyone. The Valjean is remarkable, as is the man who plays Javert. You don't get much of a feel for the anger of the people in the movie, but the play is a completely different story.

The book is long, dense, and has a great deal of unneeded information. I still enjoyed it, however. 
Thank you for the recommendation, Keeper, excellent article, and it actually changed my view off life around me even beyond movies.

As to Les Mis, Ruwinreborn got it right in saying the Englishness of it is very much about legacy.  The original musical adaptation was english, and new versions copy that feel.  When it comes to the mood, I'm actually not sure you are supposed to empathize with the students.  They ARE just a bunch of  dumb kids, and I think the musical draws parallels to a lot of the 70's protests and such.  You are meant to feel sorry for them for what happens, but at the same time just facepalm them for what they were doing.  At least, that's my interpretation.  They get WAY too big a sendoff in the movie if this is tthe case, though.
Susan Summerson from the Hell breaks loose Flavorful Voting Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29076567/Hell_breaking_loose:_an_Avacyn_Restored_voting_game?pg=1 Click here for more Forum Games:
Show
Susan Summerson also appeared in the Innistrad Mafia Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28609371/Innistrad_Mafia?pg=1 Writer of Nally Bear from The Gathering Flavorful Voting Game: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28846821/The_Gathering:_M12_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Writer of Phyrex the Myr from Phyrexia Reborn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27993097/Phyrexia_Reborn:_A_Flavorful_Voting_Game?pg=1 Writer of Tinker the Myr from Legacy of Karn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26647005/Karns_Legacy_(A_flavorful_voting_game) Writer of Crusader Tolkana, who has appeared in: Eldrazi Awaken: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/24071149/Eldrazi_Awaken:_A_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Colors of Magic: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/25352501/Colors_of_Magic:_a_flavor_game?pg=1 Guildwars III: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26082093/Guildwars_III:_Shattered_Pact_(A_flavorful_voting_game)?pg=1 Writer of Isaic from Treasures of Zendikar http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22819881/Treasures_of_Zendikar?post_id=402182877#402182877

Drn, I wish there was a smiley for how much I just Ell'd my Ei off.

I less than skimmed the Hulk article that Keeper linked to, but between the Curly-esque face before the video, the video itself, and the Nick Cage poster, it was absolutely hilarious. And I know, I know, I didn't 'get' what was being presented, but I need someone to introduce me to the Hulk. I tried start reading it but I just can't... I dunno. It takes me two or three reads for every sentence, for one.

But yeah. This discussion is gold.

Profile Picture taken with implied permission from Trildar.

KeeperofManyNames wrote:

Alright, new theory: these forums are an experiment in ultraminimalism. By Monday everything--yes everything--will be the color white, and typing any character will simply produce a solid rectangle of variable height and width.

Welcome to the Flavor and Storyline board

This forum is for the discussion of anything and everything involving flavor. Flavor texts, names, worlds, storylines, books, characters, web-comics, the color pie, authors, fanfiction, and anything else that makes the multiverse of Magic: The Gathering such an awesome place.

These forums are designed to foster an open discussion on flavor. That is, don't feel too restricted in your commentary. If you like something, you're free to talk about that; if you dislike something, share that as well. 

We ask that you be courteous to your fellow posters. We also ask that you refrane from making personal attacks against authors and artists while here. There is a long history of Magic fans alienating the creative folks behind the storyline. This does not rule out constructive criticism, and complaining is almost a professional sport for some of us, of course, but if this forum is filled with hate speech and irrational arguments then there is little hope that anyone new would want to post here. And worse still, there is little hope that anyone from Magic's Creative Team would want to post here, either. So keep it cool, keep it respectful, and try to reserve your flames for the truly deserving.

What can I look forward to in this forum?

You'll find here great discussions on almost anything flavor based. 

Furthermore, many of us are involved with the Magic: Expanded Multiverse project, which seeks both to archive and preserve official works of fiction, old and new, and to create a cohesive expanded canon for Magic, filled with art, stories, poems and comics created by the fans, for the fans. You can find the product of our efforts in the slowly expanding archive.

Also we are fortunate to have Brady Dommermuth, Magic's Creative Director, answering questions in his very own thread (although please read through his answers before asking a question that may already have received a response!), and various authors past and present stick their noses in from time to time. Robert Wintermute, Ari Marmell, Laura Resnik, and Pete Venters all have appeared here, and still do from time to time, so keep an eye out for their posts.

In summary, come in, pull up a chair, grab your drink of choice and enjoy the company of your fellow Vorthosi. Vorthoses. Vorthosilim. Flavor lovers, shall we say?

Introduce yourself here, and be welcomed into the community!

Hey, wassupp? Haven't played DnD since 1980's. I live in Saint Petersburg, Fl and looking to meet or find a group that plays near downtown.
Hey there! I think you might be in the wrong place. :P This is the Magic: The Gathering Flavor and Storyline forum. D&D is in the conference room down the hall and to the left.

Feel free to stick around here anyway, though. We can pretend to be D&D if that helps.

@isaic:

I don't know, I have a hard time not feeling sympathetic toward their goals since the establishment at the time really was just an absolute disaster. And whenever I've seen it the fact that the revolution fails is definitely treated as a huge tragedy. I know a little bit more about the history of that period, though, so that might bias my reading.

Which... actually sounds weird to say, but it's probably very possible to erroneously read reality back into a fictional text. Weeeeird.

Glad you liked that article though. It's one of my favorite theory articles basically ever.

@42:

You might try googling for a caps inverter so you can read it in lowercase. That might help. The Hulkspeak will still be the same though. It can be a bit to get used to but I think it's ultimately very worth it. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Feel free to stick around here anyway, though. We can pretend to be D&D if that helps.

I'll play a Half-Elf Warlock. Because I'm a hybrid, I'm sterile and I fear my presence on the world won't leave a lasting mark on the world. In order to make this lasting impact I've bartered with beings from beyond this world (Star Pact) in the hope of becoming a hero. My father and mother have instilled me with a respect for all that is living, so I strive to never take a life (mechanically, this means I won't attack bloodied creatures and angst about killing minions).

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I'll play a female human Bard. A skilled musician and a knowledgeable herbalist, when my town is threatened I will seek to prove myself on the field of battle. I harbor a potentially deadly secret, however: I am narcoleptic and have a chance of suddenly losing consciousness in battle. The shame I feel over this perceived weakness drives me to push myself further than is perhaps adviseable...

(This was a real character I played, incidentally. During a Zombie Apocalypse game scenario. Yeah. Unfortunately my group imploded spectacularly before anyone found out about my condition, but I always liked the idea that there was this ticking timebomb that only me and the DM knew about...)
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Ooh, I'll be an addled Gnomish illusionist with a horrible memory and even worse eyesight. I'll be laughably easy to kill but have an uncanny ability to avoid harm. Unbeknownst to me, I have a powerful artifact from my days as a younger adventurer; it's true owner seeks it still.

Also, I'll be a shameless lecher. ;) 
I'LL BE a mechanical construct originally intended for heavy-duty shipyard work, but due to the ghost in the machine I gained sentience. Upon awakening, I kept working at the shipyard, because I like to be useful and didn't want to cause any trouble. But then I ****ed something up one day and accidentally clipped someone's hand. It was an accident and he wasn't seriously hurt but he kicked me and started swearing a lot and it was really rude, so I just sort of left. So now I just sort of wander about the mainland kind of purposeless and with a bunch of tools that aren't exactly appropriate for the job (spools of pneumatically fired rigging wire, riveting gun, giant anchor) but I help out where I can. I'm strong and handy, but sort of socially retarded because I'm not technically a person, so I get confused by human interaction.
WHO AM I?
HARDER THAN DIAMONDS STRONGER THAN STEEL AND BURSTING WITH VIGOR. THAT'S THE WAY THE BEAST ENGINE PLAYS.
PROUD BEARER OF THE MOST INCORRECT THING JIVANMUKTA'S READ ON THESE FORUMS YET AWARD. SO BRING IT ON. ALL OF YOU. I have taken the top of the mountain and I will accept all challenges. Attack me, all at once if you must! I will never falter! THE ONLY GLORY IS IN DEATH. AND DON'T FORGET TO COWER BEFORE THE METALLIC MIGHT OF JUSTICE.
Beast.

You can be my best friend because I can't see you properly and keep forgetting you are a robot.

That would be so awesome. T.T 
Agreed, this interplay between our characters would be verfiably awesome.

I actually do play roleplaying games as regularly as my job will allow, and by "roleplaying games" I mean "Warhammer 40k Dark Heresy exclusively". It's the only one I've ever been exposed to. And I always always always end up playing a tech priest, and they're basically robots anyway.

Who plays LoL? This character would end up looking like Nautilus. Or a Big Daddy from Bioshock. But with less diving suit and more heavy metal.
WHO AM I?
HARDER THAN DIAMONDS STRONGER THAN STEEL AND BURSTING WITH VIGOR. THAT'S THE WAY THE BEAST ENGINE PLAYS.
PROUD BEARER OF THE MOST INCORRECT THING JIVANMUKTA'S READ ON THESE FORUMS YET AWARD. SO BRING IT ON. ALL OF YOU. I have taken the top of the mountain and I will accept all challenges. Attack me, all at once if you must! I will never falter! THE ONLY GLORY IS IN DEATH. AND DON'T FORGET TO COWER BEFORE THE METALLIC MIGHT OF JUSTICE.
I have not played the Dungeons with the Dragons, so I cannot apply all of the tropes in a whimsical sarcastic matter.
*clumsily knocks the miniatures off the table* 
I feel like a D&D game with the people here would be amazing, on the one hand, because our character design skills are apparently epic... but it would also be terrible because we all have busy lives that would keep us from playing regularly. :P

I kinda want to play Warhammer 40K... but Magic is expensive enough, dammit. T_T

And someday I WILL get a group together to play Bliss Stage. Which... apparently is now available for free, I just found out. O_O One step closer to my dream of ruining all my friendships through awkwardly sexual role playing...
One thing straight: I don't play the damn tabletop figurine-centric actual wargame 40k. Just the RPG. The actual game is waaaaay too expensive. I however CAN download some rulebooks off the intersphere and print out some character sheets. Easy do easy done.

Another thing straight: 40k is is goddamn awesome and I love it and hhhrrrnnngggg.
WHO AM I?
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
@isaic:

I don't know, I have a hard time not feeling sympathetic toward their goals since the establishment at the time really was just an absolute disaster. And whenever I've seen it the fact that the revolution fails is definitely treated as a huge tragedy. I know a little bit more about the history of that period, though, so that might bias my reading.

Which... actually sounds weird to say, but it's probably very possible to erroneously read reality back into a fictional text. Weeeeird.

I think it really is just a case of bad story telling in this particular case. They should have been sympathetic, they just weren't. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that the people they are supposed to be rebelling again just...don't exist in the movie. The Upper Class/Establishment consists of the one guy who was mean to Fatine for all of two minutes; Marius's grandfather, who spends all his time worrying about his grandson; a bunch of extras who get stepped on by Gavroche during his lecture; and Javert, who spends the entire time obsessing over Valjean. The worst he does is calling the Schooboys...a bunch of foolish schoolboys. And then as a kicker, despite being the "Face" of the bad guys the entire time, what does he do upon reviewing their bodies after the fight? He pins his Medal of Valor on Gavroche, the same kid who sold him out to be hanged as an enemy of the people. So the People, with the exception of Fantine and Eponine, get portrayed as a bunch of filthy bullies, thieves, and general scoundrels. The Establishment, on the other hand, is portrayed as caring, hard working, and religious, with the exception of the nameless jerk who assaults Fantine. Jean Valjean ends up falling somewhere in the middle, as he starts out as a thief, but ends up behaving more like the upper class, and even becomes one of them up until Javert takes up pursuit again. So then we have the Schoolboys trying to start a revolution against the second group in the name of the first group, which just makes them look like a spectacular bunch of idiots.

Yes, historically this is a bad time to be French, but it's never actually shown why. They're just tired and hungry and dirty, and from the way they act you sort of get the feeling they've done it to themselves, because everyone who isn't tired, hungry, and dirty seems to be a pretty decent and upstanding fellow.
Oh, I didn't know there was a separate RPG version that didn't involve buying ludicrously expensive figurines. Hm, maybe I can play after all...
Yeah, there's a D&D equivalent that I played for some months before the DM lost all interest.

Most of my 'knowledge' of D&D play comes from these experiences and that D&D apparently uses largely comparable mechanics.
I also learned that I naturally skew towards playing characters who are certifiably insane for whatever reason. 
I haven't played any D-n-D, but I really like the world of Eberron as seen in the tie-in novels. If you're curious, go for James Wyatt's Draconic Prophecies trilogy. If I did play, I'd go for an amoral battle-mage.

I also learned that I naturally skew towards playing characters who are certifiably insane for whatever reason. 

I do that to. I play a Pathfinder game where my character is a monk who can only use improvised weapons so he tied up a goblin and uses it as a flail.
But I would probably be a gunslinger, who thinks he is a pirate, but is actually terrible at anything pirate-based. Like sailing and acquiring wenches.
Here's the real question, Beast...

How long can the Imperium actually hold out against the Necron Dynasties before being crushed beneath their collective metal heel? 

IMOTEKH COMES FOR YOU, CALGAR! 

I do that to.

Elaboration; criminally insane.

I feel like a D&D game with the people here would be amazing, on the one hand, because our character design skills are apparently epic... but it would also be terrible because we all have busy lives that would keep us from playing regularly. :P

I know it probably won't happen, but we could potentially do it through Skype or a GooglePlus Hangout. 

One thing straight: I don't play the damn tabletop figurine-centric actual wargame 40k. Just the RPG. The actual game is waaaaay too expensive. I however CAN download some rulebooks off the intersphere and print out some character sheets. Easy do easy done.

Another thing straight: 40k is is goddamn awesome and I love it and hhhrrrnnngggg.

I have never played anything related to 40k, but everything I read about it is awesome. I love how everything is turned up to 11 and still played completely straight. 

Yeah, there's a D&D equivalent that I played for some months before the DM lost all interest.

I love playing Pen & Paper RPG's (well, I liked playing D&D), but it's so damn hard to get a group that plays well together, is willing to take things seriously and can get together once a week. I've tried to start a game three times already (twice as a DM, but I'm too inexperienced to do it properly), but it never lasted more than a month.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Oh no, the guy who DMed was really good at it. He's just notorious locally for losing interest in his games relatively quickly.
No idea why. 
Oh no, the guy who DMed was really good at it. He's just notorious locally for losing interest in his games relatively quickly.
No idea why. 

Oh, I wasn't blaming the DM (apologies if I came across like that). I was just sympathizing about how difficult it can be to get a group and keep it together.

I also did a quick search, and turns out there's an application that makes playing through G+ almost easier than playing in the same room. Crazyness. 

Ah the wonders of SCIENCE
*breeds spider eel* 
@Yxoque: Is that Forge for G+? I've been sort of paying attention to them peripherally... I need to give their stuff a try.

@Game Groups: Uuuuuuugh. There's a reason I described the Zombie Apocalypse group as having "imploded." Major personality clashes, especially since me and the DM are both very story-oriented, and other people were... not. 
@Yxoque: Is that Forge for G+? I've been sort of paying attention to them peripherally... I need to give their stuff a try.

@Game Groups: Uuuuuuugh. There's a reason I described the Zombie Apocalypse group as having "imploded." Major personality clashes, especially since me and the DM are both very story-oriented, and other people were... not. 

Yup, that's it.

My groups mostly fell apart because of scheduling problems. It seems it's hard for people to commit when there's no tangible reward on the line.

The last time I played an RPG it fell apart because of: My female and I split mid-game (she was also playing, not like we broke up in the middle of a game, but at some time between sessions), though we agreed that we'd like to continue to live together and be friends. Then the hoor goes off and F***s not one of the other people in the group, but Two of them. There was only one other guy in the group that didn't sleep with the hoor. Those bastards were my friends, too. But, um, yeah. That's my contribution to "The ways in which table-top RPG's can end." In blood and tears.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Jesus. In retrospect i'm glad my games only fell apart because of The Everlovin' Navy.
WHO AM I?
...I think I lose Complaining About My Crappy D&D Group privileges forever now. 0_o
Apparently the New Year's Eve mirror ball is an IDIOT BALL.
Because people have been running around dropping it all friggin day!...
Ive always wanted to play pen and paper RPGs but ive always been such an unsocial introvert so i havent been able to found a group to play with. Now that ive finally found some guys and become part of a gaming club(with which i play Magic every Thursday) and some are appearantly planning to play some RPG, i will be going abroad on internship from February untill June. So much for that.

Ive never played any Warhammer(40k, Fantasy, boardgame or rpg) but im really into the lore and concepts of it and would love to try it out.
...I think I lose Complaining About My Crappy D&D Group privileges forever now. 0_o

I... I think we all do. 

The only thiing I have that compares is a game a risk that ended when the hunting knife was pulled out and the threats started. I don't play Risk anymore. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
...Yeah, never had a knife pulled on me either 0_o

My LGS is pretty sweet.
On one side, we have a Cuban restaurant (with a bar) and on the other side is an Irish pub (natch, with a bar). As such, merriment flows freely.

Except this one time when a guy walked in, blood trickling down his face, asking if we could use the phone.
The store owner let him, and then locked the doors until the cops showed up about 10 minutes later.

...Yeah, never had a knife pulled on me either 0_o

To be fair it's Risk. I've never played a game where someone's life wasn't threatened at some point. Just that once things got a little to serious.

Also I have started some stuff up over at the M:EM for anyone interested. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Happy new year everyone! As some/most of you know, I'm VorthosianLoreWeaver or VLW for short. I haven't been on for awhile (at least since the Innistrad mafia game) but I am almost always lurking. I usually post in bursts and then fade away into the background again. My noteworthy accomplishments on this forum include the Deadliest Character, which lasted all of two rounds, and not much else. I've been collecting since Eighth Edition and my first magic book was The Monsters of Magic.
So...yeah, sup everyone.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/3/39/Mirrodin_Loyalty.png) thanks to gamma-mage for the awesome banner
VLW was also the first person I pitched the Expanded Multiverse to. He helped me revise the original document, so he definitely deserves serious credit. Without him the project wouldn't exist the way it does today.

He should also hang out with us more :P
Are you still taking introductions?  

I'm Aurordan, I lurk occasionally.  I'm trying to get more involved in things, so I might post occasionally.  Hi. 
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.