Introduce Yourself! Board Code and Off Topic Nonsense Reconstrionist Third Series

4781 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am Cthulh... I mean...  Ragrio. I am a casual player who is very into deck building (I have around 45). I enjoy flavor alot and try to follow the storyline as much as possible and have joined the M:EM. I claim the Dominion of the Squirrels!!!!

Also... I have a bear in my tree....
Glad to hear you can at least stop by. I hope things are going better for you now. If you need anything, just let us know. [insert closing scene from The Labyrinth. I call Hoggle.]

You remind me of the babe.

What babe?

@Beast:

Samurai Champloo is genius. I need to finish rewatching that show... it's been too long. It's just got everything.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Glad to hear you can at least stop by. I hope things are going better for you now. If you need anything, just let us know. [insert closing scene from The Labyrinth. I call Hoggle.]

You remind me of the babe.

What babe?

@Beast:

Samurai Champloo is genius. I need to finish rewatching that show... it's been too long. It's just got everything.

The babe with the power.

@Beast/Keeper: Champloo is absolutely wonderful. 

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

the power?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
the power?

The power of voodoo.

@Champloo: always felt the series ended up completely aimless towards the end. 3/4 of the series is great, but it just ends up fizzling at the last.
the power?

The power of voodoo.

@Champloo: always felt the series ended up completely aimless towards the end. 3/4 of the series is great, but it just ends up fizzling at the last.

Who do?

Yeah, the ending was weirdly anti-climactic... but I need to rewatch it. That might've been deliberate. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
the power?

The power of voodoo.

Who do?

Yeah, the ending was weirdly anti-climactic... but I need to rewatch it. That might've been deliberate. 

You do.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

The problem is they suddenly brought the secondary main characters into sharp focus without ever really developing them in meaningful ways beyond their archetype.
Jin had an okay character arc, but they'd already played that card by the time the "villains' showed up.
And nobody opposite Mugen really works just because... y'know, Mugen.
I'm having some writers' block. I can't seem to come up with my Requisite Party of Fearless Adventurers for this project I'm working on. Which is strange considering I kept coming up with character concepts for months on end while I wasn't allowed to write them down. This kind of sucks. I can't even come up with a basic aesthetic for the main character because his old one was made obsolete. Sigh. Woe is the struggling semi-artist.
WHO AM I?
HARDER THAN DIAMONDS STRONGER THAN STEEL AND BURSTING WITH VIGOR. THAT'S THE WAY THE BEAST ENGINE PLAYS.
PROUD BEARER OF THE MOST INCORRECT THING JIVANMUKTA'S READ ON THESE FORUMS YET AWARD. SO BRING IT ON. ALL OF YOU. I have taken the top of the mountain and I will accept all challenges. Attack me, all at once if you must! I will never falter! THE ONLY GLORY IS IN DEATH. AND DON'T FORGET TO COWER BEFORE THE METALLIC MIGHT OF JUSTICE.
Oh, and the soundtrack to Champloo is balls-shatteringly awesome. Like it was handed down from on high by the beat-forging gods that live at the top of Mt. Groovulon.
WHO AM I?
HARDER THAN DIAMONDS STRONGER THAN STEEL AND BURSTING WITH VIGOR. THAT'S THE WAY THE BEAST ENGINE PLAYS.
PROUD BEARER OF THE MOST INCORRECT THING JIVANMUKTA'S READ ON THESE FORUMS YET AWARD. SO BRING IT ON. ALL OF YOU. I have taken the top of the mountain and I will accept all challenges. Attack me, all at once if you must! I will never falter! THE ONLY GLORY IS IN DEATH. AND DON'T FORGET TO COWER BEFORE THE METALLIC MIGHT OF JUSTICE.
the power?

The power of voodoo.

Who do?

You do.

Do what?

Yeah, the distractions for Jin and Mugen at the end did feel kinda tacked on since their major character work came a lot earlier...

Still a great show regardless. And yes, the music is all that awesome stuff Beast just said.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm wandering through all the material that's proliferated on Tumblr surrounding the Homestuck spinoff "Ke$hastuck." I just... don't even know what to say. I'm blown away by the sheer will to be creative and run with an idea here. What is it that Homestuck (and My Little Pony) has got that we Magic players haven't got?
the power?

The power of voodoo.

Who do?

You do.

Do what?

Remind me of the babe.

Well done everyone.
I should mention that is my favorite movie of all time.

What is it that Homestuck (and My Little Pony) has got that we Magic players haven't got?

(For most people) Magic is a card-game first, storytelling device second (if not lower than that). Magic also has difficulties with being a character-driven medium. Even the most high-profile characters (the 'Walkers) are only a small part of what's actually going on. My Little Pony can have a Rarity-episode, Magic will never have a Liliana-set. 

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Well i guess i should reintroduce myself.

Im Rokukel...
Dont know what more to say, you guys overshadow whatever i come up with without even trying.
Don't know what more to say, you guys overshadow whatever I come up with without even trying.

Common, I know you can do it. We aren't that intimidating are you. And you have to start somewhere, so why not here?

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Im Rokukel...
Dont know what more to say, you guys overshadow whatever i come up with without even trying.

If you don't try you have already failed. Or something like that.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project

My grandfather always says: "If you don't shoot, you allways miss." 

But my aim is terrible, so it makes no difference.

Im Rokukel...

I always saw that line of thought as false optimism.

Don't know what more to say, you guys overshadow whatever I come up with without even trying.

Common, I know you can do it. We aren't that intimidating are you. And you have to start somewhere, so why not here?

We need an Inspirational Cat Poster, stat!  (Love that scene from Monsters vs Aliens)

And congratulations team on the beautiful Dance (magic dance) that was had.

And Beast, I would like to put in a formal challenge for sea control.  You may be a member of the navy now, but my family has had Naval officers going back at least 3 generations.  On both sides.  Navy is in my blood, man, IN MY BLOOD!

Also, Happy to everyone!

Also, has anyone managed to get "Raise this Barn" out of their head since that episode premiered?  If so, congratulations.

And to then newbies, Welcome!  Sit down, have a drink, and say whatever comes to mind.  You may never be a dominating force, but you can still have fun, like me!
Susan Summerson from the Hell breaks loose Flavorful Voting Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29076567/Hell_breaking_loose:_an_Avacyn_Restored_voting_game?pg=1 Click here for more Forum Games:
Show
Susan Summerson also appeared in the Innistrad Mafia Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28609371/Innistrad_Mafia?pg=1 Writer of Nally Bear from The Gathering Flavorful Voting Game: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28846821/The_Gathering:_M12_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Writer of Phyrex the Myr from Phyrexia Reborn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27993097/Phyrexia_Reborn:_A_Flavorful_Voting_Game?pg=1 Writer of Tinker the Myr from Legacy of Karn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26647005/Karns_Legacy_(A_flavorful_voting_game) Writer of Crusader Tolkana, who has appeared in: Eldrazi Awaken: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/24071149/Eldrazi_Awaken:_A_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Colors of Magic: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/25352501/Colors_of_Magic:_a_flavor_game?pg=1 Guildwars III: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26082093/Guildwars_III:_Shattered_Pact_(A_flavorful_voting_game)?pg=1 Writer of Isaic from Treasures of Zendikar http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22819881/Treasures_of_Zendikar?post_id=402182877#402182877
I have navy in my blood as well! Both my great-grandfathers served in WWII and my father fought pirates in Somalia! All enlisted too, none of that hoity-toity officer rabble! And I dare to carry on that tradition! If you want the seas, you'll have to fight me for them!

(cutlass, wave breaks on a rock behind me)
WHO AM I?

Also, has anyone managed to get "Raise this Barn" out of their head since that episode premiered?  If so, congratulations.

You know, the tragic thing is that I HAD gotten it out of my head... until you brought it up again. T_T

(Also, I was kinda disappointed with that episode on the whole... it felt like a rehash of Applejack's first spotlight episode, and once again failed to give her a Truth-based challenge. Contrast that with Rainbow Dash's last episode which was aaaaaaaaall about Loyalty. I don't know, it still feels like they just aren't sure what to do with Applejack as a central character.)

@Yxoque:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. As unfortunate as it is for us, though, it's an interesting and compelling piece of evidence for the idea that characters and their interactions are the most important element in a story...

F&S: where people have fights over who has the most badass Navy heritage. Awesome. 
I have two grandpas that were both married to one grandma that were Navy Meteorologists. Doesn't really compare, but maybe all our grandpas once participated in a Lonely Sea Orgy together.

Can I claim Lonely Sea Orgies as my domain? Or does that fall under the general Sea category?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
IT FALLS UNDER THE GENERAL SEA CATEGORY
WHO AM I?

Applejack has no conflict with her Element. Pinkie Pie wants people to laugh and have fun, but she can push things too far and has difficulties being serious ("Eternal Chaos comes with chocolate rain you guys. Chocolate Rain!), so you place her in situations that are hard to overcome without being serious. Rarity has the conflict of liking things for herself, both social and physical, but also wants and likes being generous. Either you put her in a situation where the needs for the self conflict with the needs of the other, or, like in Suited for Success, make being generous really, really hard. Fluttershy's weakness is mostly that she tends to be too kind or you can contrast the want to be kind with wanting to be safe. Rainbow Dash is loyal, but she also likes to be seen as an individual, which makes Loyalty a hard goal for her. Twilight Sparkle's element isn't really like the others, but her challenges and issue do come from magic. 

Applejack on the other hoof can and will lie if the need arises, as evidenced in Party of One and Return of the Chrystal Ponies (and other episodes). She should have been established as having real problems with lying, even with small white lies. Then make her keep a secret, or make her do something bad/stupid that she's too ashamed of to tell to her friends (The Last Roundup didn't do enough with this). Or just get her into trouble by being brutally honest.

You know, the tragic thing is that I HAD gotten it out of my head... until you brought it up again. T_T

(Also, I was kinda disappointed with that episode on the whole... it felt like a rehash of Applejack's first spotlight episode, and once again failed to give her a Truth-based challenge. Contrast that with Rainbow Dash's last episode which was aaaaaaaaall about Loyalty. I don't know, it still feels like they just aren't sure what to do with Applejack as a central character.) 

I've already forgotten everything but the chorus.
I maintain that they will NEVER be able to top "Art of the Dress".

Season 2 and 3 bug me in that while there are some good episodes, a lot of the episodes are retreads of earlier episodes done better ( "Boast Busters" being everything that "The Mysterious Mare-do-Well" failed to be) or episodes that flanderize the mane 6 to the point of mutilation (How many episodes now has Twilight gone insane out of fear of not living up to Celestia's expecations? It's been at least 3, right?)

I still enjoy it, and i'm trying very hard not to invoke "they changed it, now it sucks", but it really hasn't been the same since Lauren left. ):

Applejack on the other hoof can and will lie if the need arises, as evidenced in Party of One and Return of the Chrystal Ponies (and other episodes). She should have been established as having real problems with lying, even with small white lies. Then make her keep a secret, or make her do something bad/stupid that she's too ashamed of to tell to her friends (The Last Roundup didn't do enough with this). Or just get her into trouble by being brutally honest.

This.
Twilight almost has the most complex story arc, since in a way she's got TWO elements--Friendship itself AND Magic. And Magic, while often used as a proxy for Friendship (friendship is magic, after all), is also from her perspective a symbol of her intelligence, ability, and studiousness. She feels the need to prove herself to the point of becoming self-destructive. What makes this work is the fact that her character arc of personal achievement is tied, by way of introversion, by way of the demands of her friendship research, and by way of the symbiotic nature of magic and harmony in Equestria, to the character arc of her growing understanding of friendship. It's really well crafted stuff.

Applejack, as far as I can tell, doesn't have that same intertwining of two arcs. She's got her relatively unsupported and unexplored Truth arc but the main thrust of her character seems to be her independence and her need to overachieve, much like Twilight actually albeit in a different realm. So, her conflict is totally unassociated with her Element, just like Yxoque says.

...I should do an article comparing this to the Classpect system in Homestuck. Hmmmm.

Also, is it weird that I feel like I get better discussion of this show's mechanics here than on any specific pony-related communities? >_> A lot of fans seem to kinda just be into the pretty colors and stuff. <_< 
Also, is it weird that I feel like I get better discussion of this show's mechanics here than on any specific pony-related communities? >_> A lot of fans seem to kinda just be into the pretty colors and stuff. <_< 

Fox once held a market research thingy for The Simpsons to see what they liked the most about it.
It wasn't the subtle humor; it was the bright colors and watching Homer get maimed.

Painful as it may be, we may very well have to face the music that most viewers are morons, objectively speaking.
I'm willing to accept this as truth if the general opinion i hear about Jace being a condescending emo twit, or Chandra as a violent angry walking murder machine is anything to go off of.
Oh, you guys and your ponies.

When will Ponies anonymous start?

"I remember when I hit rock bottom. I was living in the dumpster behind Toys'r'Us. Waiting for them to discard the faulty merchandise. I got arrested for showing my Fluttershy to 7 year-old. When I got to prison, nobody even respected the Flutter. The whole system was divided into Applejacks and Rainbows. If I hadn't seen the light, I'd probably be tossing some big stallion's salad right now. . ."

In jest. I have nothing against you guys. I watch the show, but only in the presence of my daughter. I can't really imagine sitting back with a beer and taking my shoes off to enjoy some pony-related visual stimulation. I can respect it, because some it is pretty interesting, and obviously well designed for the most part - but y'know, it isn't my personal cup of proverbial tea. I hope that doesn't offend you or lessen your opinion of yrs trly.

On that note, I'd be curious to hear your testaments.

How did y'all start watching this show?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

You mean the fandom becoming a parody of itself? 

But have you tried starting such a discussion yourself? I know you're on Reddit and in the Pony+ community, so there's a start.

Gahhhhh!!!! Just had most of my post eaten, responses will probably be much more brief than intended.

I have navy in my blood as well! Both my great-grandfathers served in WWII and my father fought pirates in Somalia! All enlisted too, none of that hoity-toity officer rabble! And I dare to carry on that tradition! If you want the seas, you'll have to fight me for them!

(cutlass, wave breaks on a rock behind me)

I would question your quick dismissal of Officers, for I have known them to get just as dirty as any enlisted would.  Did any of your kin settle a rivalry witht eh XO by welding his door shut?  (True Story).  That being said, I will acceed that your lineage combined with present status does warrent you for lord of the seas.  IF you can defeat me in single combat.

*draws sword with the satisfying sound of metal agains metal.  Readies the weapon, steadied agains the rocking waves*  Your move.

F&S: where people have fights over who has the most badass Navy heritage. Awesome. 

Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Applejack has no conflict with her Element. Pinkie Pie wants people to laugh and have fun, but she can push things too far and has difficulties being serious ("Eternal Chaos comes with chocolate rain you guys. Chocolate Rain!), so you place her in situations that are hard to overcome without being serious. Rarity has the conflict of liking things for herself, both social and physical, but also wants and likes being generous. Either you put her in a situation where the needs for the self conflict with the needs of the other, or, like in Suited for Success, make being generous really, really hard. Fluttershy's weakness is mostly that she tends to be too kind or you can contrast the want to be kind with wanting to be safe. Rainbow Dash is loyal, but she also likes to be seen as an individual, which makes Loyalty a hard goal for her. Twilight Sparkle's element isn't really like the others, but her challenges and issue do come from magic. 

I have ranted on AJ before, so I will keep this brief.  The writers do not understand what Honesty means.  That may be harsh, especially for a show that is a favorite of mine, but I think it is deserved.  Honesty always seems to be interpreted as synonymous with 'right' or 'down to earth' and AJ can often be seen as an Author Avatar / the Hermione for the series. 

I think Humility would have been a better vitue for her, and would have actually made the moral for SSS6000 much more tolerable.  Also, imagine the AJ scene in Episode 2, rather than the contrived 'honesty' bit, she sadly states that she can't help by herself, then dramatically calls over the pegasi to help.  works better, and plays better with her character.  It also makes the dynamic of fall-weather friends work better, as it genuinely conflicts with her element to want to be the best, while still respecting the talents of others.  It also would make the way she acted more understandable.

Okay, I guess I failed at the short goal, didn't I?

I don't find it odd at all.  Since this is a thread where literally any discussin happens, it's not surprising that new angles are taken to everything.  In a board like that, groupthink probably tends to set in, with flanderization ensuing shortly afterwards.

Fox once held a market research thingy for The Simpsons to see what they liked the most about it.
It wasn't the subtle humor; it was the bright colors and watching Homer get maimed.

Painful as it may be, we may very well have to face the music that most viewers are morons, objectively speaking.
I'm willing to accept this as truth if the general opinion i hear about Jace being a condescending emo twit, or Chandra as a violent angry walking murder machine is anything to go off of.

1. Warn someone first!  It's a good thing I always check links before clicking.
2. People lie, especially in surveys.  Not because they are liars, but because they don't know what they want.  Also, there's a matter of perspective.  If you're asking why you like old Simpsons more than newer Simpsons, you'd probably point to the humor.  If you're asking why you like old Simpsons more than Seinfeld, it would probably be more about the colors, for example.

That being said, there are a lot of people that don't care about those type of things consciously.  However, they notice on some level.  That's why MLP or AT are more popular than so many other equally bright and colorful cartoons.

@MagicPablo: I understand where you're coming from.  MLP isn't deep in the same way that,say, Melancholia is.  That being said, it is very well made, and has a design aesthetic that appeals to a certain side of our minds.  Honestly, I think it's more appreciated for what it is.  It is a show that proves that you don't have to make "kids shows" kiddy, and you don't have to make "girls shows" girly.  If you put your best effort into it, it will be a good show, period. 

A good analogy would be what Iron Man & the Dark Knight in the same year did for comic book movies.  They were good movies first, and about comic characters second.  That didn't make them any less popular.  When we talk critically about the show, it's our way of celebrating what it's doing for the medium.  By treating it like it's not a kid's show, we are showing support for people who make "kids shows" that are more than just shows for only kids.

Susan Summerson from the Hell breaks loose Flavorful Voting Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29076567/Hell_breaking_loose:_an_Avacyn_Restored_voting_game?pg=1 Click here for more Forum Games:
Show
Susan Summerson also appeared in the Innistrad Mafia Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28609371/Innistrad_Mafia?pg=1 Writer of Nally Bear from The Gathering Flavorful Voting Game: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28846821/The_Gathering:_M12_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Writer of Phyrex the Myr from Phyrexia Reborn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27993097/Phyrexia_Reborn:_A_Flavorful_Voting_Game?pg=1 Writer of Tinker the Myr from Legacy of Karn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26647005/Karns_Legacy_(A_flavorful_voting_game) Writer of Crusader Tolkana, who has appeared in: Eldrazi Awaken: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/24071149/Eldrazi_Awaken:_A_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Colors of Magic: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/25352501/Colors_of_Magic:_a_flavor_game?pg=1 Guildwars III: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26082093/Guildwars_III:_Shattered_Pact_(A_flavorful_voting_game)?pg=1 Writer of Isaic from Treasures of Zendikar http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22819881/Treasures_of_Zendikar?post_id=402182877#402182877
Alright, this is going to be sort of hard to explain because you aren't in the service yourself, but there's a definitely line drawn between officer and enlisted. I personally have a massive distaste for officers in general; I like only a small few of those I've met, and most of those were actually prior enlisted anyway.

Officers get this conditioning that leads them to being better than everyone else, and it gets to their heads a lot of the time. They get wardrooms. Private living spaces. Better pay. Snazzier uniforms. More respect, more responsibility, more leadership opportunities, more job selection. And on the whole they're just jerks about it a lot of the time. And the worst part of it is that you can't complain, because they outrank you.

Grain of salt administered here: I haven't been to the fleet yet; I haven't seen anything outside of boot camp and this training command. So maybe the officers here are just prissy arrogant self-entitled loads and it's different everywhere else. That and jealousy is a factor- officers just get better lives all-around than we do, just because they went to college before they joined.

I'll find out in about a year what the real climate is like.
WHO AM I?
It's not hard to understand. I think it exists in most environments, though perhaps more-so in one where you are so Immersed.

Major Major Major Major. Right?

139359831 wrote:
Okay, in light of that point, I revise my statement. The concept is easy to understand, but the true military distinction is hard to taste unless you've lived it.
WHO AM I?

@MagicPablo: I understand where you're coming from.  MLP isn't deep in the same way that,say, Melancholia is.  That being said, it is very well made, and has a design aesthetic that appeals to a certain side of our minds.  Honestly, I think it's more appreciated for what it is.  It is a show that proves that you don't have to make "kids shows" kiddy, and you don't have to make "girls shows" girly.  If you put your best effort into it, it will be a good show, period. 

A good analogy would be what Iron Man & the Dark Knight in the same year did for comic book movies.  They were good movies first, and about comic characters second.  That didn't make them any less popular.  When we talk critically about the show, it's our way of celebrating what it's doing for the medium.  By treating it like it's not a kid's show, we are showing support for people who make "kids shows" that are more than just shows for only kids.

Oh, yeah. I get it. I have respect for it - and if that didn't come across in my post, I apologize. But I find the whole Brony culture a whole lot more interesting than the actual television program. I think it is great that you guys can be so open with your love for the show - and that so many of you have girlfriends, too. That amazes me. I don't know any girls that wouldn't laugh at me, if I told them that I found the show to be what you guys find the show to be. But, perhaps I know the wrong girls. Probably. Golly, I wish I didn't sound so offensive. Suffice it to say, I can respect you guys, not only despite, but because you like the show. I'm not sure why I felt the need to comment in the first place. I think it was the curiosity about how y'all got into it in the first place - i.e. my interest in Bronies, and not actually in the program itself.

139359831 wrote:
Alright, this is going to be sort of hard to explain because you aren't in the service yourself, but there's a definitely line drawn between officer and enlisted. I personally have a massive distaste for officers in general; I like only a small few of those I've met, and most of those were actually prior enlisted anyway.

Officers get this conditioning that leads them to being better than everyone else, and it gets to their heads a lot of the time. They get wardrooms. Private living spaces. Better pay. Snazzier uniforms. More respect, more responsibility, more leadership opportunities, more job selection. And on the whole they're just jerks about it a lot of the time. And the worst part of it is that you can't complain, because they outrank you.

Grain of salt administered here: I haven't been to the fleet yet; I haven't seen anything outside of boot camp and this training command. So maybe the officers here are just prissy arrogant self-entitled loads and it's different everywhere else. That and jealousy is a factor- officers just get better lives all-around than we do, just because they went to college before they joined.

I'll find out in about a year what the real climate is like.

I don't know enough to be able to tell you what it's like outside of camp, but I imagine it will be different.  If for no other reason than training is NEVER like it is in the real world, quite by definition.  I know there were enlisted men that both my parents respected tremendously, and specifically pointed them out to me when I saw them, though they were way up the enlisted food-chain.  Obviously, my view is colored by my perception, and it almost certainly is vastly different on a case-by-case basis, but I hope you get put with the type of officers that you can respect.  Trust me, I know being outranked by people you dislike is the worst feeling you can have in a job.

Oh, yeah. I get it. I have respect for it - and if that didn't come across in my post, I apologize. But I find the whole Brony culture a whole lot more interesting than the actual television program. I think it is great that you guys can be so open with your love for the show - and that so many of you have girlfriends, too. That amazes me. I don't know any girls that wouldn't laugh at me, if I told them that I found the show to be what you guys find the show to be. But, perhaps I know the wrong girls. Probably. Golly, I wish I didn't sound so offensive. Suffice it to say, I can respect you guys, not only despite, but because you like the show. I'm not sure why I felt the need to comment in the first place. I think it was the curiosity about how y'all got into it in the first place - i.e. my interest in Bronies, and not actually in the program itself.

That makes sense.  As for me, My GF actually was introduced to it, I think, by finding a lot of references to it on Memebase.  THis was before Bronies had their own page there.  I don't know why she started watching it, since she generally hates TV shows, but she did, and enjoyed it a fair bit.  At the time, I was trying to get her into a bunch of shows that I liked, Star Trek:TNG, Ghost in the Shell, Alias, and Naruto, among others.  We had just finished watching (and loving) Avatar: the Last Airbender, and I was trying to find the next big show that I could get her caught up into in that same way. 
On a whim, she started showing me the show, I think to get back at me for all the shows I made her watch that she didn't like.  She knew I didn't really tend to fall into Male stereotypes, but I don't think she really understood it until I agreed without hesitation to watch it, and immediately expressed my pleasure with it, no embarrasment whatsoever.  For a full understanding of my psychology, I grew up with two older sisters, and always tried to emulate them.  They tended to fall on the tomboyish side, but even given that, I have never really felt obligated to accept a gender segregation. 

I enjoyed it so much, we became regular watchers of MLP, finishing the first season only a few weeks before the season 2 premiere.  I think Jean really fed off my love of the show, and it made her enjoy it more.  Since then, it has served both as an entertaining background for us, a source of joy when we're feeling down, and as something to look forward to and talk about together.  I'm not saying it's a keystone to our relationship, but as a couple we are definitely better with MLP:FiM then we are without it.

Show
@isaic- Yeah, the grain of salt is more like a Big Goddamn Boulder of Salt. Technically I'm not even in the real Navy yet. I openly admit that my perception is warped by my station. Still though some of these goddamn officers are total toolbags. And now I'm afraid your parents are going to get on here and yell at me for insubordination. What are they ranked if I can ask?
WHO AM I?

Well, my girlfriend laughed at me at first, but then she got into it more than I was. But people who know me already accepted my idiosyncrasies, so watching a "girls'" cartoon isn't that much of a stretch. I hate it when people say they're the weirdest person they know (and I know I'm not, my brothers are at least equally weird), but I think I raise the weirdness level in my circles by quite a lot. 

And being open about it is easy in the relative anonymity of the internet. Especially since it's such a big phenomenon. And if you're interested in this, be sure to check out the Know Your Meme video on the subject. It details the history of bronies. 

@isaic- Yeah, the grain of salt is more like a Big Goddamn Boulder of Salt. Technically I'm not even in the real Navy yet. I openly admit that my perception is warped by my station. Still though some of these goddamn officers are total toolbags. And now I'm afraid your parents are going to get on here and yell at me for insubordination. What are they ranked if I can ask?

Both retired at Commander.  And I think, while they might reprimand you publicly, in private they'd understand completely.  My Dad, for one, retired almost entirely because he couldn't stand the officer he was under during his final tour.
Show
Sign In to post comments