Warp World and Clone effects

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
What happens when a Clone-like creature and another creature enter the battlefield simultaneously from Warp World's effect (or other similar effect with no permanents to start with)? Are they unable to copy anything, usually resulting in them entering as 0/0s and dying?
they cannot copy other permanents that enter at the same time

so it won't work for Warp World (except if they somehow are enchantment cards), but it would work for Hypergenesis, because no all creatures enter at the same time for that
proud member of the 2011 community team
The rules are ambiguous about this, but it's well established that the as-enters choices happen before the would-be permanent enters the battlefield.

Since Warp World removed all permanents, there is nothing for Phyrexian Metamorph to copy, so it will enter as 0/0 and die shortly after.
The rules are ambiguous about this

400.6, 604.2, 614.1, 614.4, 614.12 don't seem ambiguous to me, but they could be more explicit.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

The rules and the card say it happens as it enters the battlefield, in which case the Phyrexian Metamorph would have something to clone, but the choice is actually made before the event. None of the rules you listed mention this.

I'm sorry that you don't see it, but there were a number of people who did. I remember jeff being one of them.

There's no use repeating previous threads, so that's all I have to say.
@ikegami: At the risk of repeating a previous thread, I would like to ask about the ambiguity to which you're referring. Even after reading over the rules and pondering their application, I am unable to see an ambiguity.

If you would prefer to simply link me to an earlier thread, that's fine, too.
I just described it above. The rules says it happens as the P.M. enters the battlefield (when the P.M. and others are on the battlefield), but it happens before (when they aren't). I'd link to thread it if I knew how to find it. Honestly, it doesn't matter that you don't see the problem; that others see a problem is a problem.

The rules and the card say it happens as it enters the battlefield, in which case the Phyrexian Metamorph would have something to clone, but the choice is actually made before the event. None of the rules you listed mention this.

400.6. If an object would move from one zone to another, determine what event is moving the object. If the object is moving to a public zone, all players look at it to see if it has any abilities that would affect the move. Then any appropriate replacement effects, whether they come from that object or from elsewhere, are applied to that event. If any effects or rules try to do two or more contradictory or mutually exclusive things to a particular object, that object’s controller—or its owner if it has no controller—chooses which effect to apply, and what that effect does. (Note that multiple instances of the same thing may be mutually exclusive; for example, two simultaneous “destroy” effects.) Then the event moves the object.

This rule says look at the object in its current zone, find any abilities that would affect the move, then look for replacement effects like Metamorph's and apply them to the event and finally the object is moved.

It obviously is saying to make the choice prior to the object arriving therefore we're using the gamestate prior to the event occuring when making that choice.

DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

400.6 isn't relevant since nothing here affects the move. (Something merely happens at the same time.)

And if it does apply, it contradicts claims that it happens as it enters the battlefield. (Card itself and 112.6g)
No, because the last line says "then the event moves the object" which can only mean it's still in the prior zone.

112.6g and 614.12 reinforce this.

Clone and Metamorph have appropriate replacement effects that affect their move, do they not?

There's no contradiction with 112.6g, the process of an object transitioning from a zone to the battlefield just tells you that the ability would be an appropriate replacement effect to apply to the zone move.

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

I'm not sure that the use of the phrase "as it enters the battlefield" implies that it's on the battlefield when the choice is made. Actually, I've always taken it to mean something like: the choice is never relevant before it's on the battlefield, but always relevant after.

Certainly, there's no transitional state in which the choice would be made, but that doesn't preclude players from making a decision at the same time as it moves. The comprehensive rules use the word "as" (in the sense and context of timing) infrequently, but when they do, it tends to imply a transition.

For example, consider the following sentence from the comp rules: A card or token becomes a permanent as it enters the battlefield and it stops being a permanent as it’s moved to another zone by an effect or rule.

Certainly, in this sentence, "as" cannot mean the thing happens before -- a card is never a permanent before it enters the battlefield. And it cannot mean after, either. A card is never on the battlefield and not a permanent. The word literally implies that the card becomes a permanent during the transition.

I believe that "as," in the context of Phyrexian Metamorph means the same thing. You don't make the choice, then put it on the battlefield, nor do you put it on the battlefield and then make the choice. They happen together, and to imply that one happens before the other makes about as much sense as something in your hand being a permanent.
Enter the battlefield effects always have the words "when" or "whenever" in them, if it doesn't it isn't an enter the battlefield effect even if it has the phrase "enter the battlefield" in it. Thragtusk, Archaeomancer, Trostani, Selesnya's Voice - enter the battlefield effects, Phyrexian Metamorph, Clone - not enter the battlefield effects (because the effects have to happen before they enter the battlefield).
Sign In to post comments