Holiday tourney: Steam Swiss 1v1 Tournament

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, Flush and Wizards Sean have been really good about having a tournament on the go for us Steam users.     Thought I would give them a break and set up one myself.   

Format:  1v1, Swiss(maybe).  Swiss is for larger tournaments, the number of entries right now is low enough that Swiss would be silly.   If it gets above 16 people I'll consider swiss, less than that and I'll just do single elimination.  

Start: January 5th, 12pm.

48 hour rounds.

Decks:   Pick two decks, those are the ones you have for the tournament.   You can switch decks between games in each round if you choose.

I don't want to discourage anyone from playing but I really don't want the tournament dragging out.    If a match doesn't get played then I decide who is making more of an effort to get the match played and they get the win.     If I feel both players are putting in equal effort it would be a draw.     If I was one of the people involved I would get someone else to make that decision (Wizards Sean or Flush would be my first choice, some other 3rd party if I can't get them to do it.).   I would love to compensate for time zones in some way, matching up similar time zones for opponents, but I just can't see any way to do that with a swiss format.       

If you have reservations about my ability to be impartial then factor that in when deciding whether or not to sign up.    I would hope that it is obvious that in a meaningless tournament like this with no prizes that impartiality shouldn't be an issue.      We're just playing for fun and pride here (mostly fun I hope).   

Player List:

Steam ID: Drogo
Decks:  Crosswinds, Born of Flame.

Steam ID: Garren_Windspear
Time Zone: GMT
Deck Picks: Aura Servants, Exalted Darkness

Steam id: jblanteigne
time zone: EST
Decks:  Peacekeeper, Sepulchral Strength

Steam ID: multeyemeteor
time zone UTC/GMT +1 
Arsenal: Sepulchral Strength + Born of Flames

HenWen
Central standard time (EST -1)
Crosswinds and Grim Procession

ID: Nicodemus
Time Zone: EST
Decks: Ancient Wilds Dream Puppets & Berserk Rage

ID: liccc (screen name is kAzE)
Time Zone: China (13 hours ahead of EST)
Decks: Sepulchral Strength and Goblin Gangland 

DryBones23
GG, SS

SteamID: xBrownxJESUSx
Decks: Goblin Gangland and Pack Instinct

Tournament Bracket:

Hey Drogo!  I am always up for some 1v1 tournament action, sign me up!  Also, if anyone has trust issues with Drogo you can take it up with me if you wish.  I trust him 100%.

Steam Name: !Flush
Time Zone: -800 GMT/Pacific
Decks: Aura Servants, Collective Might

I won't be available come mid-January.  If this might be a problem, you can reject my entry.  If I am still in it and it is still going on by then I will concede.

BTW, what is a "Swiss" Tournament?

Edit: Looks like I won't be able to make it in time.  Sorry Drogo, I wish I could!

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />BTW, what is a "Swiss" Tournament?

A swiss tournament means that there are a set number of rounds based on how many people enter the tournament.    The first round, people are paired randomly.     Each subsequent round you are always paired against someone with the same record as you, randomly chosen from all the people who have the same record.    In the second round, all the people who won their first round play against someone who won their first round, all the people who lost their first round now play someone who also lost in the first round.    This continues throughout the tournament.     You can play rounds until there is only one undefeated person and then declare them the winner or cut to a top 8.

The advantage of the swiss format, rather than single or double elim, is that everyone gets to play every round even if they lose.      The disadvantage is that it takes longer as a whole and rankings between people with the same record are determined by sometimes miniscule differences in tie breakers (your tie breaker is a percentage based on all your opponents collective win-loss record).

Not too many sign ups,  I think I scared people with my tirade about 48 hour rounds.   Or maybe people are just busy for the holidays.  If need be I can change the rules regarding time for rounds if that is preventing people from signing up.
Give it about a week for people to sign up.  A lot of tournament participants are not frequent forum posters.

I will participate but want a little time to think about my deck picks.
A tournament? I love tournaments!

Steam ID: Garren_Windspear
Time Zone: GMT
Deck Picks: Aura Servants, Exalted Darkness

Like HenWen said don't worry about sign ups. Just give it some time! Your real worry should be we'll get a repeat of the last Swiss tourney and half the entrants will just disappear around the mid-way mark when it becomes obvious they can't win.

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

I'm interested in doing this but it is possible I'll have issues with the 48 deadline.  Unfortunately I can't make any promises but I'm fine with being disqualified for missing a deadline.

Steam ID: dh50
time zone: EST
Deck picks: Sky and Scale, Obedient Dead 
I'm down!

Steam ID: multeyemeteor
time zone UTC/GMT +1 
Arsenal: Sepulchral Strength + Born of Flames
HenWen
Central standard time (EST -1)
Crosswinds and Grim Procession
I am going to postpone this tournament.    Just not enough people signed up right now because of the holiday start time or rigidity of time frame I don't know.

I'll post again after Christmas and start the sign up again.   Tourney will not start until the new year.    Can I edit the title to reflect this?
Even though it's postponed, I do want to join.

I'll join!

ID: liccc (screen name is kAzE)
Time Zone: China (13 hours ahead of EST)

Decks: Sepulchral Strength and Goblin Gangland 
I am going to have to withdraw as I know I won't be available starting Jan. 11th for a good couple weeks if not longer.  I was really looking forward to this.  Perhaps next time!

I think the only way to edit the thread title is to talk to Wizards_Sean. 

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Count me in, whenever it starts. I appreciate the 48 hr window too; game delays were becoming frustrating. I didn't spot another thread on page one so hopefully this entry counts.

I'd like to use:

Goblin Gangland
Goblin Gangland  Sepulchral Strength
First tournament, hope I do well :x

Ok, I will try this again.

New start date: January 5th.

Let's get a few more sign ups and get this going!

Edited first page to reflect sign ups, start time, possible format change (Single elim instead of swiss format if the number of entrants is relatively low).

Ok, tourney bracket is up on page one.    I will also post it here.     Turn out was not what I'd hoped but I'll write it off to holidays and delaying the tournament.   

Wow, Henwen.. so we meet again! =) May the best man win, bro!

Let me know when is good for you. 
Wow, I get the play-in game winner? Does that mean I'm the #1 overall seed? lol . . .
BrownJESUS defeats Garren_Windspear 2-1

Round 1 -  Exalted Darkness (Me) vs Pack Instinct (BJe)
I took an early gamble with an opening hand full of fun little cards (Knight of Infamy, Cathedral of War and Vindicate lead to fun times in my experience) let down slighty by the lack of any Plains. Still if all went according to plan I wouldn't need one until turn three and by then I was bound to have one right? We both engaged in an early damage race (BrownJesus' Garruk's Companion vs my Knight) and I was actaully able to pull into the lead for a little while. That Plain I had been waiting on didn't turn up until turn five unfortunatly and by that point BrownJesus had closed the gap with a number of hasted unkillable beasties (oh how I loathe Lightning Greaves) before his Khalni Hydra turned up and stomped me to death. Round 1 to BrownJESUS.

Round 2 - ED vs PI again
After taking some early damage from the most Garruk's Companions I've ever seen in one place I was able to get out my Silent Arbiter and Royal Assassin effectively shutting down the board. Although he was able to kill both off eventually thanks to Prey Upon I had another Silent Arbiter up my sleave and was able to hold off his attacks at a horrible cost of creatures lives. Oh well! They knew what they were in for when they signed up (probably). In the end I was able to draw enough removal to finish BrownJESUS' threats and push through enough damage for the win. Round 2 to Garren_Windspear.

Round 3 - Exalted Darkness (Me) vs Goblins! (BJe)
Now normally I would have ran screaming to the hills when Goblins hit the field against me but I knew somthing my opponent did not. I drew a Swamp, a Plains, Cathedral of War, and Worship in my opening hand. This match was as good as mine! All I had to do was wait on that sweet sweet fourth land to turn up...

*Five Turns Later* Lands! Why have you forsaken me!

For added insult No Mercy turned up too. Round 3 (and the Match) to BrownJESUS.

Overall some nice little games from a skilled player. It was fun, I mean sure I lost my first round but this is a Swiss tournament! I'll just catch up later! Wait, what? Single Elimination? DROGO! Also indirectly people of the forumns for not signing up in bulk!

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

I should also mention I'll be a little more relaxed about match deadlines than I originally intended, again because of the small turn out.    With only 9 people I don't feel I have to be a martinet about rounds (although let's all still try to get things done in a timely fashion).

BrownJESUS defeats Garren_Windspear 2-1

Round 1 -  Exalted Darkness (Me) vs Pack Instinct (BJe)
I took an early gamble with an opening hand full of fun little cards (Knight of Infamy, Cathedral of War and Vindicate lead to fun times in my experience) let down slighty by the lack of any Plains. Still if all went according to plan I wouldn't need one until turn three and by then I was bound to have one right? We both engaged in an early damage race (BrownJesus' Garruk's Companion vs my Knight) and I was actaully able to pull into the lead for a little while. That Plain I had been waiting on didn't turn up until turn five unfortunatly and by that point BrownJesus had closed the gap with a number of hasted unkillable beasties (oh how I loathe Lightning Greaves) before his Khalni Hydra turned up and stomped me to death. Round 1 to BrownJESUS.

Round 2 - ED vs PI again
After taking some early damage from the most Garruk's Companions I've ever seen in one place I was able to get out my Silent Arbiter and Royal Assassin effectively shutting down the board. Although he was able to kill both off eventually thanks to Prey Upon I had another Silent Arbiter up my sleave and was able to hold off his attacks at a horrible cost of creatures lives. Oh well! They knew what they were in for when they signed up (probably). In the end I was able to draw enough removal to finish BrownJESUS' threats and push through enough damage for the win. Round 2 to Garren_Windspear.

Round 3 - Exalted Darkness (Me) vs Goblins! (BJe)
Now normally I would have ran screaming to the hills when Goblins hit the field against me but I knew somthing my opponent did not. I drew a Swamp, a Plains, Cathedral of War, and Worship in my opening hand. This match was as good as mine! All I had to do was wait on that sweet sweet fourth land to turn up...

*Five Turns Later* Lands! Why have you forsaken me!

For added insult No Mercy turned up too. Round 3 (and the Match) to BrownJESUS.

Overall some nice little games from a skilled player. It was fun, I mean sure I lost my first round but this is a Swiss tournament! I'll just catch up later! Wait, what? Single Elimination? DROGO! Also indirectly people of the forumns for not signing up in bulk!

Thanks for the write up! It was fun playing against you.

Sorry about Round 3. I saw that you didn't draw any land
Lol I had no clue you had such a sick hand though. Anyways fun match and well played sir.

I don't think it is fair for Multeye to have to play 1 more bracket than everyone else, so I am going to concede.  Also not quite as interested in this size of bracket.

Good luck everyone!
Hey Nicodemus - I'd love to get our game in tonight. I am on the west coast which is 3 hours earlier than you. PM me here or shoot me an email to the address I'll PM you. My steam ID is Crackin'{q}Portraits
Wow, I get the play-in game winner? Does that mean I'm the #1 overall seed? lol . . .

Since good guy Henwen has pulled out, I guess you and I are playing. Let me know when's good for you. =)

Hey Nico you have chosen a very popular steam ID. Add me as a friend ASAP.

Hey Nico you have chosen a very popular steam ID. Add me as a friend ASAP.

I added you hours ago and sent you an email.....
Reporting a win for me vs Nicodemus; 2-0.

Games were good but for the second time in a tourney match the game failed to sync and froze. We restarted with the same decks. Drogo, do us a favor and please specify what the actions should be taken when the game freezes to avoid any confusion! Everyone knows this game is rinky dink and there's only so much we can do about it aside from prepare.

Since good guy Henwen has pulled out, I guess you and I are playing. Let me know when's good for you. =)

Add me on Steam: liccc

I'm usually on at weird hours since I'm in China, but during the work week, usually I'll be on sometime from 5:00 AM EST till about 10:00 AM EST lol . . . 

On weekends, I'll usually get on in the morning to paly some with my friends in the US, so it'll be in the evening-ish. Just add me and if I see you online, we can do our best of 3.

I'm usually on at weird hours since I'm in China, but during the work week, usually I'll be on sometime from 6:00 PM EST till about 11:00 PM, so since you're in Europe it looks like, I believe I'm 8 hours ahead of you, so that would be like 10:00 AM till 3:00 PM for you.

On weekends, I'll usually get on in the morning/afternoon to game with my friends in the US, so that might work out better for you if you work during the day. Just add me and if I see you online, we can do our best of 3.

P.S. Nice avatar . . . I used to have a sick, sick stasis deck in paper Magic that was probably my best deck ever . . . had 4 Force of Wills and 4 Thwarts in that thing, every one of my friends absolutely hated to play against me.
Reporting a win for me vs Nicodemus; 2-0.

Games were good but for the second time in a tourney match the game failed to sync and froze. We restarted with the same decks. Drogo, do us a favor and please specify what the actions should be taken when the game freezes to avoid any confusion! Everyone knows this game is rinky dink and there's only so much we can do about it aside from prepare.

If the game freezes up, restart with same decks.   If someone has an obvious win locked up (i.e. swinging for lethal when it freezes or has a mirror/warp out and is just finishing the game, etc.) then count it as a win for that person.   If it isn't a clear win for one side then restart, same decks as you guys did.   I think that makes the most sense. 

If there is a dispute, namely that one person thinks they have an obvious win but the other doesn't when a game freezes, then take a screenshot and I'll adjudicate the situation.    This is a small, casual tournament though so I hope that isn't necessary.

I'm usually on at weird hours since I'm in China, but during the work week, usually I'll be on sometime from 6:00 PM EST till about 11:00 PM, so since you're in Europe it looks like, I believe I'm 8 hours ahead of you, so that would be like 10:00 AM till 3:00 PM for you.

On weekends, I'll usually get on in the morning/afternoon to game with my friends in the US, so that might work out better for you if you work during the day. Just add me and if I see you online, we can do our best of 3.

P.S. Nice avatar . . . I used to have a sick, sick stasis deck in paper Magic that was probably my best deck ever . . . had 4 Force of Wills and 4 Thwarts in that thing, every one of my friends absolutely hated to play against me.

You're added!

Cool.. where in China are you at? I used to live in Beijing 9 years ago, and I think it was about 5-6 hours away from Copenhagen. Maybe you're out in Dongbei?

I'll try to catch you online, and we'll figure it out. I work from home a lot of the time, so it should be possible to find time. =)

PS: Me too! ;) I had a killer Stasis deck back in the 90's. 
Reporting a 2-1 win for multeyemeteor over kAzE

Match 1: Born of Flames (multeyemeteor) vs. Sepulchral Strength (kAzE)

First turn was completely onesided, as kAzE didn't get any swamps, terramorphic expanses, Veridian Emissaries or Yavimaya Elders, so naturally he couldn't get much going. My game started on turn five dropping a Magma Phoenix, and soon after a Chandra's Phoenix, and after having swung in uncontested for three turns, I ended the game with two Searing Spears.

Winner: multeyemeteor

Match 2: Born of Flames (multeyemeteor) vs. Sepulchral Strength (kAzE)

Second match was way better in terms of lands for kAzE, and I actually had a pretty strong hand with plenty of burn, Earthquake, Magma Phoenix and other good stuff. He got the Yavimaya Elder and after destroying my Phoenix while popping his own Elder for that card draw, he dropped an Ascetic Troll. I recalled the Hexproof, but forgot about the Regenerate, and decided to get rid of his troll with my Earthquake. Fail.. boom.. crash.. he regenerates, we both take two damage, and those points of damage alongside of not having the Earthquake for when he eventually dropped his second troll locked down my game, as I was already down to 10, while he was at 15. I didn't draw what I needed, and getting my Phoenix back would've been too slow, so I eventually called the "gg" and Flames of the Blood Handed myself.

Winner: kAzE

Match 3: Born of Flames (multeyemeteor) vs. Sepulchral Strength (kAzE)

Knowing that BoF is more or less all around strong, and not wanting to try my luck against the mirror in the deciding match, I stuck to my guns. I expected him to make the switch to Goblins as well, as it might give him the speed that SS hadn't been able to give him in the first match, but he to stuck with it. I had a starting hand with only two Mountains, a set of Chandra's and Magma Phoenix, a few burn spells and the Ruby Medallion. He made short work of my Medallion with his Maelstrom Pulse halting my stride for a turn, but then dropping the Pernicious Deed afterwards. I think this was a mistake, as he could've saved the Pulse for something else. So I felt that the strategy would be to bait his Pernicious Deed with my Chandra's Phoenix, which would be far less consequential for me than for him. He cast Blood Artist and killed my Phoenix with a Go for the Throat, and in response I Searing Blazed his Artist with the landfall triggered to make sure he didn't gain the extra life, and to make sure he got as little as possible out of that transaction all in all. From there on out, it was a game to keep him wasting removal on my Phoenixes. I burned his face to keep his life total down and to return my Chandra's Phoenix to my hand, and he finally popped the Pernicious Deed. At this point we were both at land drop four, but I was able to control the match with the burn and Phoenix combo, drawing out his removal. When we both finally got to land drop 5+ he was very much on the defense, while I had several ways of dealing direct damage. In order not to exhaust my options, I chose to drop the Magma Phoenix so I had more ways of dealing damage. He then made a play that could've been very detrimental to my situation by dropping the Pelakka Wurm on the table, but luckily drawing a Flamebreak made it so that I didn't have to make a few clumsey combos by blocking with the Magma Phoenix and finishing it off with my Chandra's Outrage. Flameslash + Flamebreak = Goodbye, you giant Stallwurm! And I was back on the offense again with my bounce-Phoenix back in hand. With six cards in hand he quickly tried to rebuild board state with a Sewer Nemesis, and my personal nemesis, the Ascetic Troll, but on my next turn I drew the very card that was gonna finish him off... a Mountain! He was almost tapped out, except for a forest. I swung in with Magma Phoenix. And... Earthquake for 6 to take him from 9 all the way down to 0.

GGs, kAzE. 

Match 1 & 2

Match 3
Updated bracket:

I'm Crackin'{q}Portraits on Steam - add me and we'll duel it out!
Added! I should have time to play tomorrow or the day after.
BrownJesus def. Drogo 2-1.

Good job by BrownJesus, he played very well.     Game 1 he had a slow draw and a phoenix and lots of burn finished it pretty quickly for me.   Game 2 I missed a couple land drops and just couldn't catch up with CW against a stream of fatties.     Game 3 I debated switching back to BoF since GG was his other deck but I didn't and he played GG and he had a strong draw so I got run over fast.      In this tournament and the previous ones I have been pretty lucky with deck choices and have almost always got the match ups I wanted so game 3 where I ended up on the short end of a pretty bad match up was bound to happen.     
Reporting a 2-1 win for multeyemeteor vs. Drybones 23

I know this is waaaaay late, but me and Drybones23 had a bit of difficulty finding time for the match. I completely understand if the Brown sugary Jesus is over this and don't feel like playing, but if he's down for playing me for the finals, then I'm ready to go!

Anyways!

Match 1: Born of Flames (multeyemeteor) vs. Goblin Gangland (Drybones23) 

This match was sort of one sided, as I had all the lands burn I needed to take away everything he dropped. He had kept a "beautiful" hand (relative to the fact that he was playing those icky little critters) plus he drew into some great cards as well, I assume. He dropped Piledriver, I Flame Slashed. He played Goblin Warchief, he swings in... next turn... SINGE!!!.. Searing Spear! Goblin Cheiftan hits the table, he swings in, BOOM!!.. Chandra's Outrage. Same turn he drops Krenkos, which gets to fry at the exact moment that The Red Sun was at its Zenith. Next turn he dropped Goblin Guide, hoping to exhaust my burn, while he himself was at 2 cards in hand. He swings in, and I'm down to 14, while he's at 18 life, and the Guide reveals a Flames of the Firebrand. No need to exert that much effort, my Inferno Titan did all the work for me and severely put the hurt on him. Now, it wasn't a race to exhaust my hand no more, but one hell of an uphill battle with almost nothing in hand and nothing on the table. I had been keeping a Beacon of Destruction in hand for a while as well. I get a turn of swinging in with the Titan with him having nothing to block with, getting up down to 8, while I drew a Searing Blaze in the same turn. He then topdecked the Ringleader and got a few Gobbos in hand, and he ends up letting the Warren Inspector hit the table staying back for the blocks. One End step Beacon and a land drop to Searing Blaze later, and game one was mine, before my Titan could even get to swing in.

Video

Match 2: Sepulchral Strength (multeyemeteor) vs. Sepulchral Strength (Drybones23)

The second game was a whole different beast from the get go.  I had figured out that Dry would be changing into SS, as his Goblins had been so impotent against the furious flames of Chandra, and I decided that I would do the same, because I was one up, and had a little bit more elbow room in terms of being able to switch strategies. Unfortunately I had to mull twice past a starting hand of three swamps, an Emissary, a Conniseur, an Ascetic Troll, and a Go for the Throat, to a Forest, an Elder, the Master of the Wild Hunt, Diabolic Edict, Go for the Throat and a Maelstrom Pulse... tsk tsk.. I ended up with a Yavimaya Elder and a Pernicious Deed plus four Forests, thinking that at least I had the lands I needed. It was a long match, which I'm not gonna describe in details, but my opponent played well, and patiently, plus he was a bit luckier than I with his draws, drawing into two Pelakka Wurms, yet, I managed to hold back his hordes and his combos with a string of two Pernicious Deeds and a Damnation, yet, I failed to draw direct removal and the amount of creatures I needed to change my status of being on the defense to offense, or at least neturality. Drybones played this match beautifully, and there's nothing else to say than gg, and good win!

Winner: Drybones23

Video

Match 3: Born of Flame (multeyemeteor) vs. Sepulchral Strength (Drybones23) 

For the final game I decided to switch back to BoF, knowing that he was probably gonna stick with SS. I wasn't gonna try my luck again, yet, I knew that SS was able to bite back against BoF during the long game. The advantage that I had aside from the ability to remove and burn face was that the only creatures I run are Fire Servant, a few Phoenixes and the Titans. Starting off with a decent hand with lots of playable cards, I had two Mountains, a Fire Servant, Ruby Medallion, Searing Spear, Chandra's Outrage, and Flamebreak. This was another long match, which I don't want to describe in detail, but let me just say that Pelakka Wurm damn near screwed me again, and that it came down to the very last turn. If I didn't draw burn in the final turn, I wouldn't have been able to swing in with my Phoenixes and kill him, and he would have destroyed me with his gradually growing and increasingly scary side. 

Video

GGs, Drybones23. The final game was truly epic!
Bu-bump!

Like to hear from the Brown Jesus, himself. 
First tournament, hope I do well :x

Have an opponent for you for the finals if you still want to finish this BrownJesus.     See above.
Hey Drogo

We've tried to set it up, but the Jesus was nowhere to be found on the day we planned on playing. Something could've come up, but I haven't seen him online on Steam since, so yeah. Anyways.. no bad feelings, I'm sure he has been busy with life. I'd still play the final match for fun, if not, then rule whichever way you feel like.