Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for January, 2013

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
So we're missing at least two tokens: An X/X Greene Ooze for Ooze Flux, and a 1/1 White Soldier Token for Murder Investigation. I guess those will be the same as the ones from RtR?
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I agree with Sam Black SO MUCH regarding Commander decklists, I have always skipped reading them and will continue to do so.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I probably won't be seeing many daily decks then, actually.

Anyway, Commander decks are a labor of love, but if you want to build a good one, you want to scour decklists of the same colors and pick up ideas for great cards that also fit your deck's goal. That's what decklists are for. It's daunting trying to figure out where to start and what's good enough in the format, otherwise. 
Please let the orzhov charm make that 1/1 token and have 2 awesome other modes.. I need single token enabler for my Demonic Rising deck! =D
I'm in favor of where Sam Black is taking the Commander decklists. Thematic Commander decks get plenty of love on elsewhere on the internet and it's rather simple to create one with the aid of a few Gatherer searches. The growing competitive Commander community would appreciate a tuned decklist once in a while.
I also notice the token is a 1/1 WR Soldier, but Sunhome Guildmage creates 1/1 WR Soldiers with haste.

Now, if this is the only card that creates such a token with haste, would I go to the trouble of printing cardboard just for it? Probably not. Especially since the ability is irrelevant after the turn you create it. Still, it tugs at an OCD cord.
I also notice the token is a 1/1 WR Soldier, but Sunhome Guildmage creates 1/1 WR Soldiers with haste.

Now, if this is the only card that creates such a token with haste, would I go to the trouble of printing cardboard just for it? Probably not. Especially since the ability is irrelevant after the turn you create it. Still, it tugs at an OCD cord.

They often omit haste on tokens. Eg Goblin Assault used the same tokens as Dragon Fodder. Thatcher Revolt makes this token and nothing else does, but it still doesn't have haste. 
Can't see todays videos because they are set to private. Fix it pelase.
Nightwing
Can I call this guy to be my 1/1 Horror Token?
Would Love to see an alter with him getting a call.
The Daily Deck List for 1/16 is advertised as "Modern" on Daily MTG page , but it's a Legacy deck.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

I appreciate the gesture of the Google+ Hangout and would definitely participate if I could, but it's tough when the target audience seems to be limited to Eastern Hemisphere folks and Western Hemisphere folks with no job/school to deal with.
I'm Mike, from The Mana Pool
I was hoping to attend, but it on Google+....

Guess ill just watch it on youtube afterwards....

Thanks for trying though....
So the 'Checking in on the Guilds' thing is even more half hearted than usual: 'Yep, Izzet's still top on Members and Points, but not the best Points/Member'
Notice that the top 4 guilds are all blue while the guild with the least members, gruul, consists of blue's enemy colors, red and green. Either the game's players all identitify with blue's outlook (and sterotype), or blue's dominance in competitive magic has influenced player's preferences. Or maybe the blue guilds are more objectively flavorful and interesting?
The number of members in the the orzhov guild is incorrect they have around 2 thousand less than shown in this article.
The Izzet in particular may have something to do with the popularity, but the color philosphies have the biggest impact I think. My top 2 colors are blue and red (of course all real people are all five). Even Mark is UR, even though his favorite is UG I believe. U is the most popular color because it's philosophy rewards reason and skill, and that's why many players play the game. If anything, we should compliment the structure of the game for having the playstyle/mechanics match the philosophy so well.
The first thing I did upon seeing the article about the most prolific Magic artist was to go to Gatherer to find that between them, the Foglios did the art for 107 cards. Quite a few, despite all the additional cards added to the game over the years.

...and there were an additional 9 cards by Claymore J. Flapdoodle.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Hi there,

I think there are a couple of promo's you missed while looking at Kev Walkers list.

For example: Spirit Monger Promo Grand Prix, Wild Nacatl FNM  , condemn full art... (player rewards )

greetings from a Kev Walker fan...   
OH YEAH, INTRO DECKS!
NOW WITH 26 LANDS AND LESS ACTUAL CARDS!
ACTUALLY. THOSE TWO CANYON MINOTUARS ARE SO FLIPPIN' GOOD THEY SHOULD COUNT AS THREE CARDS APIECE RIGHT?
OH, DON'T FORGET THE FACT THAT THE RARES ARE SO FLIPPIN' RIGGED TO BE SUCH HIGH QUALITY CARDS THAT THEY EVEN FORCE YOU TO RECEIVE THEM AT THE PRERELEASE EVENTS. I CAN'T WAIT. I'M GOING TO BUY 594 OF THEM! 
The Boros and Orzhov Intro packs don't seem half bad at first glance, by which i mean they seem to need the least amount of tweaking to improve XD Though perhaps i'm biased as I love those guilds? 
Might be the best arcana ever.

I hope there's a follow-up to how the game actually first went public because I know very little about that as well. 
I was curious what Peter Adkinson was getting up to nowadays so I looked him up on Wikipedia... Turns out he owns Gen Con. Fun fact!
It's funny to me how he wanted the game to be "easy to learn" and "quick to play". Those are terms used incessantly by the MtG surveys to see what you like in your games. I never pick either of those options.
It's funny to me how he wanted the game to be "easy to learn" and "quick to play". Those are terms used incessantly by the MtG surveys to see what you like in your games. I never pick either of those options.

Everything is relative. Magic was supposed to be a game that's easy to learn and quick to play compared to things like Dungeons & Dragons and Warhammer.
If you look at what percentage of the Magic rules you need to understand to play your first autonomous game you begin to realise how well the game scales based on the ability of the players. If you don't believe me then teach some non gamers to play and experience it for yourself. Happy 'announcing Wizards is pregnant' day!
Awesome Arcana!  I've been reading since the beginning and this is the best I can remember.

I wonder if Garfield was apologetic. "Sorry, I know you wanted my game to only using playing cards, but my idea will make you tons more money." 
That was an abrupt ending.   Its amazing to me that Ive been playing this game for almost 20 years off and on. 
Might be the best arcana ever.

I hope there's a follow-up to how the game actually first went public because I know very little about that as well. 

Amen on both counts.
Can we please please pretty please get a wallpaper of that alternate art Fathom Mage? It is just such a beautiful piece of art.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
Two really good Arcana articles in a row!  The look into how Magic begun was quite interesting to read.  I, too, would be interested in reading more about the earliest days of the game.

The look into Noah Bradley's notebook was really nice to see.  I always liked the Arcana articles that show the submitted sketches with the final drawings and the more in depth they get, the better.  Being able to see the tiny thumbnail sketches that went into the creation of these pictures was fantastic.  I wish I could have seen them in higher resolution and I hope to see more Arcana articles like it.  
Treasury Thrull:

Lucas Graciano. The promo you can tell in the close-up feels much more detailed. The background is more interesting. The knights are way cooler than the handlers. The design of the original thrull seems a little more in-theme with the rest of the thrulls-- muscle-y and fleshy, but that doesn't outweigh the downsides.

Consuming Aberration:

Volkan Baga. It's a toss-up. The original is a bit more colorful and thus insectile. But the promo is more... well, horrofic. It doesn't show off its size as well either, but you can tell you're in a sewer, and its massive skeleton graveyard. Very Dimir.

Rubblehulk:

Raymond Swanland. I'm biased towards his style, but there's no doubt that he is a master of motion and action, just check out his MtG works as a whole. His cards look like they come to life. I bet they would be extremely easy to animate in the MtG set trailers. Cliff Childs' promo just feels dull in comparison.

Foundry Champion:

Todd Lockwood. I'm not really sure, but the original does feel more Boros. It has the right armor. It has the battlefield setting that much more accents their style. Also, his attack seems much more symbolic and formal than the promo's on-the-run style. The skin feels more magmatic. And there's not many other arts that show off the Boros curvy sun sword!

Fathom Mage:

Ryan Pancoast. The original is just beautiful. It flows so smoothly and is drawn so lushly. The promo has much more noticeably scaly quality to it, but that makes her seem more merfolk-like in nature. It also has the cool cell-like mana water, but the abstract nature of the blue mana in the original is still more interesting and unique.
Can we please please pretty please get a wallpaper of that alternate art Fathom Mage? It is just such a beautiful piece of art.

A very boisterous "SECOND!" from me on this idea.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Regarding the daily decklist, "Frown Yard".
Most games, he won by running his opponent out of cards (called "milling," after Alpha'sMillstone) using his four Nephalia Drownyards and his Jace, Memory Adept."

Millstone was first printed in Antiquities. 
Incidentally, I was kind of surprised to not see any Snapcaster Mages in the Frownyard list. Is Snapcaster just not good enough when the deck doesn't win via damage? That would be kind of shocking. Does he not block well anymore? Is that it? Becasue look at all those juicy targets to flash back. Ultimate Price, Azorius Charm, Supreme Verdict, Sphinx's Revelation, Negate, Dissipate...
Incidentally, I was kind of surprised to not see any Snapcaster Mages in the Frownyard list. Is Snapcaster just not good enough when the deck doesn't win via damage? That would be kind of shocking. Does he not block well anymore? Is that it? Becasue look at all those juicy targets to flash back. Ultimate Price, Azorius Charm, Supreme Verdict, Sphinx's Revelation, Negate, Dissipate...

It is better to run zero creatures rather then four, because then your opponent's removal cards are completely useless.
Good call, BathoS.  Sorry about that.

Daxiel, Snapcaster is actually relatively expensive when everything it targets costs two or more, and this deck is already playing quite a few expensive spells.  When it's basically just trying to be a removal spell or counterspell, paying two extra mana for "flexibility" is a lot, especially since it doesn't give you that flexibility if you haven't drawn the card you're looking for yet.  1-2 Snapcasters could be fine, but it's definitely reasonable not to play them.
Dragon's Maze prerelease info? That was fast. I'm still sorting my new Gatecrash cards! The dual lands instead of basics in pack is nice, especially due to the intense mana fixing required in a small, 10 guild set. I'm confused, however, how the guild packs are designed for two guilds. Can anyone explain?
Wait, so does this mean it's technically possible to get three mythics in a pack? Or, three of the new mythic land they mentioned (one as the rare, another as a foil, and a third as the "land")?
Can anyone at Wotc verify if the land per pack applies only to the pre-release packs, or to all Dragon's Maze packs?   It's a bit vague since it's specifically talking about the pre-release, but it seems odd that they would reprint the same dual lands they just put in RTR and GTC in all Dragon's Maze packs.
Can anyone at Wotc verify if the land per pack applies only to the pre-release packs, or to all Dragon's Maze packs?   It's a bit vague since it's specifically talking about the pre-release, but it seems odd that they would reprint the same dual lands they just put in RTR and GTC in all Dragon's Maze packs.

I don't have any inside info on this, but every pack seems very reasonable given the wording of the article. Plus is solves one of the major potential problems with the set in draft: Fixing your mana so you can run three colors, a necessity with the way the sets are structured.
Sign In to post comments