Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for January, 2013

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of January, 2013.
Mwhahah!
Mwahahahaha!
MWHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA!

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Just... epic!!!
About the trailer: was that Gideon?
No, it was the Dmir leader.
Actually - it quite clearly is Gideon, at the end for the last couple of seconds, the same shot of which is on the booster box. Pretty easy to tell due to his signature hand whip thing.

Here's hoping for a R/W Gideon in the set that's playable, so at least one of the planeswalkers is :D
I have a question about the Daily Deck List column of the 01.01.2013 (www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...), presenting Alexander Hayne's Miracles deck.

The author was suggesting the use of Tamiyo and Temporal Mastery. The question is: shouldn't Temporal Mastery be exiled before it goes to the graveyard? If so, Tamiyo's emblem couldn't be used...
Alexander Hayne's deck was block.

We all know the boosters use Guildmages for the covers. Although, why's Speaker Zegana getting the booster treatment this time around? 
I have a question about the Daily Deck List column of the 01.01.2013 (www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...), presenting Alexander Hayne's Miracles deck.

The author was suggesting the use of Tamiyo and Temporal Mastery. The question is: shouldn't Temporal Mastery be exiled before it goes to the graveyard? If so, Tamiyo's emblem couldn't be used...

I'm actually quite curious about this one as well.... I didnt see alexander hayne's matches.

This is correct. Temporal Mastery will never reach the graveyard as it is exiled during resolution so Tamiyo's emblem will never trigger.
Now I am definitely going Dimir for the prerelease.  That promo card is excellent for my EDH deck.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Excellent and exciting prerelease cards. And once again, the prerelease card I'm most excited to get (Treasury Thrull this time, Grove of the Guardian last time) isn't from the guild I'd expected to want to play (Simic or Boros this time, Azorius or Izzet last time).

I'd been looking forward to all four non-Gruul guilds from Gatecrash, and I am still even more so having seen these prerelease cards. 
Actually - it quite clearly is Gideon, at the end for the last couple of seconds, the same shot of which is on the booster box. Pretty easy to tell due to his signature hand whip thing.

Here's hoping for a R/W Gideon in the set that's playable, so at least one of the planeswalkers is :D

Maybe we are talking about different things. I am talking about the Gatecrash spoiler video where at the start it says "House Dmir under my..." 
After reiterating this loop several times, the opponent will usually fall asleep, at which point the Second Sunrise player can declare him- or herself the victor. (Failing that, it's possible to actually deal lethal damage by reusing Pyrite Spellbomb.)

Haha, I enjoyed this tiny bit of humor in today's decklist, I hope you keep doing it Mr. Black!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
My wife's already been put on notice that I've reserved pre-release weekend. My only question now is Simic or Dimir. It's such a tough decision!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Dimir Guildgate's flavour text makes it sound rather less exclusive than I'd have expected, like a super-awesome secret agent school.
Just so this distinction is clear:

Old decklists reposted because someone is on vacation: OK

Decklists which are so old they have rotated out of the format they were posted for: Not OK 
By the way, the other card mentioned in the card of the day, ________, isn't legal in any format (save casual.)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Wow. High Priest of Penance is Darksteel Plate's new best friend.
The art for the new Chandra is horrible, and not just because it links to the wrong thread. Her breasts are about as large as her head.

Though that's probably where all the mass from her middle went to.

In all honesty, every proportion seems off there. It's awfully disconcerting.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
Nah, she's cool.
The Daily Deck for today was AWESOME. I loved reading that, because I didn't follow Magic to that level back then so I never heard of the deck... more of these please!

192884403 wrote:
www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=...

Here you go!

Full coverage of the 2001 Invitational is here: www.wizards.com/sideboard/event.asp?even...

The sad thing is that I still remember reading all of this coverage live...

(Also, in case anyone's curious, Rizzo's deck was full of Titans and Assassins.) 
The art for the new Chandra is horrible, and not just because it links to the wrong thread. Her breasts are about as large as her head.

Though that's probably where all the mass from her middle went to.

In all honesty, every proportion seems off there. It's awfully disconcerting.

Her proportions *are* badly off. I just posted about it over on the other thread, since that's where most of the discussion of the announcement was happening, in case you're interested.

You should fix the "Laquatus' Champion" into "Laquatus's Champion" with an S.
I'm interested to see if that 5-colour DotP deck actually works. 4 Cultivate 4 Rampant Growth and 6 Terramorphic Expanse is probably enough to reliably cast Maelstrom Archangel and Fusion Elemental, but I'm not so sure about Progenitus, and especially not Violent Ultimatum. In my experience, the Ultimata really require flexible mana sources that tap for at least two colours of mana, preferably more.

The unlocks list for that deck is hilarious though. I wondered if there might be a Shard Convergence or a Seek the Horizon in there, but hahaha, nope, ALL GIANT GOLD TIMMY SPELLS ALL THE TIME! Looks unreliable but a lot of fun.
Why don't they just have friggin good mana bases with multi-lands in DotP? Are the Wizards afraid of people playing with good cards? Instead it's "Nope, gotta have 8x Terramorphic Expanse." 
Sigh.. 
All it proves is that dual lands are a privelege.
The DotP software isn't coded to handle dual lands, from what I hear. So anything that lets you tap for different colors of mana (such as Chromatic Lantern, which this deck begs for) is right out.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
The DotP software isn't coded to handle dual lands, from what I hear. So anything that lets you tap for different colors of mana (such as Chromatic Lantern, which this deck begs for) is right out.

Yeah, I find that quite plausible. It's already tricky enough for the game to figure out how to cast Cultivate when you have WUBRG up and, let's say, Terminate, Mana Leak and Azorius Charm in hand. Adding dual lands as well would probably just confuse things more.
Honest to God--the art of the angel statue in the middle of the sludge fountain made me tear up. I have no idea why. It's...striking.
Aaaaah I want that homunculus as a wallpaper you have no idea.
Yes indeed. There's some fantastic art there. The floating Ball of Doom in the Sky made me go "whoa" out loud. I love the Homunculus, the creepy angel statues, the gaudy Orzhov rider, the Simic breeding vats... I even like the dynamism of the art for the Gruul combat spell, even though I really don't find Gruul cards interesting. Good work all.
Ral Zarek uses the power of perspective to create lightning storms over three major intersections. There is no greater superpower. Fantastic art!
Am I the only one who looks at the giant ball of doom and immediately thinks "Damnation"? I know it's kind of a leap but that art is so extremely similar that it almost has to be. Of course, maybe not straight Damnation, but maybe a 2WB Orzhov Damnation? Probably without the "no regen" clause? I'd put $20 on it...
Most say it's a reference to CSun.
Congratulations to [WINNER], your Grand Prix Atlantic City champion!!

192884403 wrote:
All the Gatecrash keyrunes are now viewable in the Gatecrash Card Image Gallery!

Orzhov Keyrune? 

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

All the Gatecrash keyrunes are now viewable in the Gatecrash Card Image Gallery!

Orzhov Keyrune? 

Isn't it obvious? This is an anti-spoiler telling us there is no Orzhov keyrune.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Am I the only one who looks at the giant ball of doom and immediately thinks "Damnation"? I know it's kind of a leap but that art is so extremely similar that it almost has to be. Of course, maybe not straight Damnation, but maybe a 2WB Orzhov Damnation? Probably without the "no regen" clause? I'd put $20 on it...

Thought the same thing when I looked at it at first.