True name basic security policy.

Like any good password, it's good to change your true name every once in a while.

Thus i suggest an Irrisistable Dance party at the end or beginning of any adventure.  Least someone want revenge.

(Yea... There's a flaw in the true name rules).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

You may want to research what a Truename is. Right now, I don't actually see any rules for it in the playtest packet.
You may want to research what a Truename is. Right now, I don't actually see any rules for it in the playtest packet.

There's a little sidebar thingy on page 22 titled Using True Names. When a name is used, that person's truename evolves into something new so it can't be used twice. Which is why Irresistible Dance party is the best dance party; because you don't need to get drunk to forget your name, it changes!
Page 22 of the Spells PDF, that is.  As part of the Otto's Irrestible Dance spell.  Basically it's a measure to prevent one use of the spell from making you have infinite control over something without having to use the spell again.

It's weird wording though.

What?  Your Xsdifudigluck is evolving!?  (*cue dancing lights*) Congratulations!!!! Your Xsdifudigluck evolved into ########!!

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

There's a little sidebar thingy on page 22 titled Using True Names. When a name is used, that person's truename evolves into something new so it can't be used twice. Which is why Irresistible Dance party is the best dance party; because you don't need to get drunk to forget your name, it changes!

Sounds like a kink that they'll work out. Kind of reminds me of how I figured out how to crit with healing spells in 3.5. That is something that should be addressed though. Still, just finding out someone's Truename is going to be hard enough. Most people never learn their own Truename at all, simply because they lack the resources to do so.
Reading that in the packet, I thought: how silly a way to limit use of the spell. I mean really -- someone's True Name becomes a False Name just because you cast a spell on him?? No. True Names, if they're truly the True Name of the entity, do not change. Just finding it out should be an adventure in itself.

WotC, please find a more reasonable way to limit the spell, if that's what you're doing. If that's not what you're doing, what ARE you doing with this mechanic?

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

So...we are playing death note or what?
Orzel, Halfevlen son of Zel, Bane of Dragons

*dance party*

Orzel, Halfevlen son of Zel, Bane of Dragons, Master of the Running Man

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Death Note would be way more interesting if it worked off Truenames vs. a normal name/face.
Death Note would be way more interesting if it worked off Truenames vs. a normal name/face.

Well, it kinda did. It had to be their real name instead of a surname or another identifty(which is why it didn't work on L, since the only thing Light had to go on him was one letter)

Well, it kinda did. It had to be their real name instead of a surname or another identifty(which is why it didn't work on L, since the only thing Light had to go on him was one letter)

I didn't see a single Truename in the entire series. All you needed was the person's real mundane name and face. That would have made the shinikami eyes a much more attractive deal.

Blasphemy.

Best. Anime. Ever.
It would make more sense if it was the real normal name and face than something such as truename.

Seriously, the truename thing is kinda stupid and doesn't make any sense in the game...it's bad storytelling 

Blasphemy.

Best. Anime. Ever.

I never said it was bad. I just said the inclusion of Truenames would have made it a lot more interesting. Now, if you want to talk best anime ever, I'm probably going to have to give that to Berserk. Or Iria. Iria. Yeah, definitely Iria. The subbed version. But Berserk is a close second.
You keep blaspheming and I don't know why...
You keep blaspheming and I don't know why...

Man have you seen Iria? Or Berserk? Light is like a spoiled child compared to the awesome characters in those stories. There were three characters that I liked in Death Note, Ryuzaki, Nate, and Matsuda. With Matsuda being my favorite. But the characters in either Iria or Berserk are so much more interesting, not to mention so much more badass.

It would make more sense if it was the real normal name and face than something such as truename.

Seriously, the truename thing is kinda stupid and doesn't make any sense in the game...it's bad storytelling 

Huh? Bad what now? Uhh....how?
Reading that in the packet, I thought: how silly a way to limit use of the spell. I mean really -- someone's True Name becomes a False Name just because you cast a spell on him?? No. True Names, if they're truly the True Name of the entity, do not change. Just finding it out should be an adventure in itself.

WotC, please find a more reasonable way to limit the spell, if that's what you're doing. If that's not what you're doing, what ARE you doing with this mechanic?

Yeah, this.

I'm not even sure why it should be limited - the whole point of finding out a creature's true name is that it gives you a great deal of power over that creature. "Infinite Hammertime" doesn't really seem like an outrageous thing to do with that power. "Infinite Chicken Dance" might be pushing it, though. 
Kobold: Master, the heroes have made it to the seer. They know of your true name.

Dragon: FOOL! Bring me the wizard before I have you for lunch.

Kobold: Yes, Master.

Wizard: I am here, Master.

Dragon: Cast the spell. Or DIE!

Wizard: Y-y-yes, M-Master. At o-o-once, Master. Oh oh oh. Ohohoh.

Dragon: My,
my,
my,
my tail knocks them so flat
Makes me say "Oh, Tiamat"
Thank you for blessing me
With a breath weapon and four hype feet

It feels good, when you know they can't save
A super dope dragon from the mountain cave
And I'm known as such
And this is a beat, uh, you can't touch

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Death Note?  Never really caught my attention; couldn't get into it.  Loved Bakuman by the same mangaka though. 

There are FAR better anime and manga than death note.  But the idea of the death note is applicable here.  True Names are really really weird in this playtest. 

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

They are just trying out the mechanic. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. No reason to get bent out of shape
My two copper.
Kobold: Master, the heroes have made it to the seer. They know of your true name. Dragon: FOOL! Bring me the wizard before I have you for lunch. Kobold: Yes, Master. Wizard: I am here, Master. Dragon: Cast the spell. Or DIE! Wizard: Y-y-yes, M-Master. At o-o-once, Master. Oh oh oh. Ohohoh. Dragon: My, my, my, my tail knocks them so flat Makes me say "Oh, Tiamat" Thank you for blessing me With a breath weapon and four hype feet It feels good, when you know they can't save A super dope dragon from the mountain cave And I'm known as such And this is a beat, uh, you can't touch

I lol'd.

And every influential figure in the world has to do this on a regular basis for their own security.

D&D Next: the Broadway Musical Edition!
They are just trying out the mechanic. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. No reason to get bent out of shape

Who's getting bent out of shape?

Unless it's the ooze lord dancing... 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Maybe I've missed it, but can somebody explain to me what a true name is?  How does one find out what a character's true name is?  If I go up to a wizard who has it in for me and say "Hello, I'm Mildred Blackwell."  Does that mean he can Otto's Irresistable Dance me?  If that's the case, is my name really not Mildred Blackwell anymore after the spell is cast?  If I don't know my new name, how will a wizard know it?  I mean, high profile baddies could be easily taken out by something like this, as they're likely using their real names.  Or do BBEGs and the like use aliases on a regular basis now to prevent this?
A Truename, in a nutshell, is like your character's cosmic signature on the parchment that is reality. Truenames can't properly be expressed with words, it's a kind of primal concept that gets embedded into your character's brain when you're exposed to it. Many people live their entire lives without ever learning their own Truenames. Generally, it's the kind of thing that you'd have to have high level divination magic to find out, or know some kind of powerful extraplanar being and have them get the info for you.
I rebember a old article from Dragon Magazine (317) about fethises and truename, and the Truename game mechanic from "Tome of Magic: Pact, shadow and truename".And too I rebember to the nomanclature hekau path from "Mummy: the resurection" by White Wolf (old World of Darkness).

Iconic truenamer.

www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/200...

www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/2...

It could be a interesting idea, but at the very best we should wait until player handbook II.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Maybe I've missed it, but can somebody explain to me what a true name is?  How does one find out what a character's true name is?  If I go up to a wizard who has it in for me and say "Hello, I'm Mildred Blackwell."  Does that mean he can Otto's Irresistable Dance me?  If that's the case, is my name really not Mildred Blackwell anymore after the spell is cast?  If I don't know my new name, how will a wizard know it?  I mean, high profile baddies could be easily taken out by something like this, as they're likely using their real names.  Or do BBEGs and the like use aliases on a regular basis now to prevent this?

A true name is  basically a cosmic description of a being. The being's code in reality. Stating a being's true name before them gives you power over them. Weaving a truename into a spell makes it almost impossible to resist.

Saying "He who first put peanut butter in chocolate is now deaf" in Ancient Speech before Archmage Reese rewrites reality and removes function from his ears.

But as beings can change, truenames can be altered. Significant acts and effects can alter your truename. Therefore it typical require powerful divinations and allies to know an updated truename or years of special training to guess one.

So, again, how does one learn a person's truename?  Spells involving truenames can either be extremely powerful or a waste of a slot depending on how easy it is to learn a truename.
So, again, how does one learn a person's truename?  Spells involving truenames can either be extremely powerful or a waste of a slot depending on how easy it is to learn a truename.

In most setting, you go to a major library or college and hire a truenamer or truename scholar.

Or bring a truenamer with you.

Thing is... if someone knws a truename is with you, they tend to nova your behind. If you manage to get a truenamer to high level foes, you have earned the right to kick its butt.

Like I said earlier, high level divination magic, or having as a contact/ally/friend some powerful extraplanar beings, or finding some kind of really well-stocked and magical library. Like a book that allows you to speak the real full name of a person aloud, and for some kind of costly sarifice, it's Truename is scrawled magically across the pages. Generally, learning Truenames is really, really hard, which makes sense, because getting a person's Truename pretty much means you have their proverbial balls in a magical cosmic vicegrip.
Truenames have traditionally been presented as difficult to learn. Hints to what an individual's true name might be could be available, but individuals who are important enough that anybody would seek their true name are often the same individuals with the means and motivation to explicitly work to obfuscate it. Most people's true names are protected by security through obscurity; nobody is going to bother to do the legwork to get at someone random's truename. While true names are usually presented as something that can be discovered through research, it's never been super clear to me where the material for that research comes from in the first place. Powerful divination, maybe.

I don't really like the true name clause on Otto's Irresistable Dance. That seems like just something not special enough to bring in true names, and it makes them feel less special. True names should be for things that feel like you're really cosmically singling someone out, not for exending the duration of an extremely silly high-level Hold Monster variant. If you're going to do something like that, it should at least be something with an epic-feeling effect, like maybe you freeze the target in time permanently or something.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.

I didn't see a single Truename in the entire series. All you needed was the person's real mundane name and face. That would have made the shinikami eyes a much more attractive deal.

Real name is truename.  We just don't hide our true names because no one can really magick us with them.  The same way they can't take band-aids from our trash and cast blood-spells on us.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

I think the real question about true names lies in how one gets their true name.  Is it given by your parents at some kind of Christening or naming ceremony?  Or is it a cosmically given thing that could seem like utter nonsense?

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

I think the real question about true names lies in how one gets their true name.  Is it given by your parents at some kind of Christening or naming ceremony?  Or is it a cosmically given thing that could seem like utter nonsense?

The second one is much closer, but it isn't mere words. it's a feeling, a concept, an idea, all rolled into one. A popular Taoist saying sums it up like this; The tao that can be taught, is not The Eternal Tao, and the name that can be named, is not The Eternal Name."

Another saying they use is, "The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it." The Truename would be the truth, the real mundane name would be the words used to describe it. When Truenames are spoken aloud, they don't sound any different than a real mundane name, generally.

If you've ever heard of or played a game called "Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage," they treat Truenames with startling accuracy.

Real name is truename.  We just don't hide our true names because no one can really magick us with them.  The same way they can't take band-aids from our trash and cast blood-spells on us.

No. Your real mundane name is not your Truename. See my previous posts about this.

The second one is much closer, but it isn't mere words. it's a feeling, a concept, an idea, all rolled into one. A popular Taoist saying sums it up like this; The tao that can be taught, is not The Eternal Tao, and the name that can be named, is not The Eternal Name."

Another saying they use is, "The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it." The Truename would be the truth, the real mundane name would be the words used to describe it. When Truenames are spoken aloud, they don't sound any different than a real mundane name, generally.

If you've ever heard of or played a game called "Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage, they treat Truenames with startling accuracy.

Wouldn't the person be the truth and the name be the words in that example, not the true name being the truth and the name being the words?

No. Your real mundane name is not your Truename. See my previous posts about this.

Depends on the context of culture and belief.  In some societies a true name might be the name you are given in a naming ceremony.  In others, it might be the first name that you give yourself (or gain on a spirit quest, or whatever) when you outgrow the childish name your parents have given you.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

Wouldn't the person be the truth and the name be the words in that example, not the true name being the truth and the name being the words?

Ding ding ding. The Truename is the very essence, nature, heart, and identity of a person. The Truename is all of that manifested in a verbal form. A Truename makes the truth and the words used to describe it one and the same, giving someone incredible power over something if they have experienced the unlocking of that something's Truename.

Depends on the context of culture and belief.  In some societies a true name might be the name you are given in a naming ceremony.  In others, it might be the first name that you give yourself (or gain on a spirit quest, or whatever) when you outgrow the childish name your parents have given you.

I'm not talking about a given name, or an earned name, or something like that, I'm talking about Truenames in the magical fantastic sense. Now, it is true that real-world naming ceremonies have inspired the kind of naming ceremonies that bind a person to their Truenames so they can actually properly exist within the fabric of reality in fantasy settings, but that doesn't work the other way around. At least, I haven't heard of a real-world naming ceremony that was performed with the intent of doing something like that.

Ding ding ding. The Truename is the very essence, nature, heart, and identity of a person. The Truename is all of that manifested in a verbal form. A Truename makes the truth and the words used to describe it one and the same, giving someone incredible power over something if they have experienced the unlocking of that something's Truename.

It sounds to me like the truename is more like the finger.

I'm not talking about a given name, or an earned name, or something like that, I'm talking about Truenames in the magical fantastic sense. Now, it is true that real-world naming ceremonies have inspired the kind of naming ceremonies that bind a person to their Truenames so they can actually properly exist within the fabric of reality in fantasy settings, but that doesn't work the other way around. At least, I haven't heard of a real-world naming ceremony that was performed with the intent of doing something like that.

Given that we have no real world hard and fast rule for true names, and setting aside the fact that we are assuming their existence, the method of acquiring one and it's origins is entirely in flux depending on context of setting.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

A Truename, in a nutshell, is like your character's cosmic signature on the parchment that is reality. Truenames can't properly be expressed with words, it's a kind of primal concept that gets embedded into your character's brain when you're exposed to it. Many people live their entire lives without ever learning their own Truenames. Generally, it's the kind of thing that you'd have to have high level divination magic to find out, or know some kind of powerful extraplanar being and have them get the info for you.

Is this actually true, canon, in Next?

Because it's not true in every source of games/ficton that uses true names, and I don't think it necessarily should be.

Personally, I like the Dresden Files version of true names.  They're pronouncable, but you have to pronounce them in a very specific manner.  For a mortal, because their name and its pronunciation is so caught up in their self-image, the names decay very rapidly.  Giving someone your name when you're really pissed off only gives them the way you say your name when you're pissed, and it would only give them any control over you at all when you're pissed.  Further, as you change (due to the passage of time; you learn things, you change your opinion of yourself, etc) your true name alters, and a true name learned earlier no longer has any hold over you.

Immortal beings, on the other hand, especially relatively unintelligent ones, don't change.  They are what they are.  So once you learn a demon's true name you have a hold over it forever.

(The only drawback is that it does encourage parents to slap as many names as possible onto their child.  Like Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden.)
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
(The only drawback is that it does encourage parents to slap as many names as possible onto their child.  Like Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden.)

Either that or a person gives themselves a secret name, or a parent gives their child a secret name that they tell them only when they're old enough to handle the responsibility of knowing it.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

Either that or a person gives themselves a secret name, or a parent gives their child a secret name that they tell them only when they're old enough to handle the responsibility of knowing it.

I think those aren't really drawbacks.  It's fine when it's a legitimate consequence, it's a drawback when it's utterly silly ;)
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

I think those aren't really drawbacks.  It's fine when it's a legitimate consequence, it's a drawback when it's utterly silly ;)

True.  I didn't realize that was what you were going for.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

It sounds to me like the truename is more like the finger.

The finger would be just the ordinary name. Imagine if that finger allowed you to dictate the nature of the moon. That would be a Truename. Like how some hermetic traditions say that the ability to "speak" things into creation is the use of ther Truenames. Good analogy though. I'm a big fan of Bruce Lee and the ideas he puts forth in his movies.

Given that we have no real world hard and fast rule for true names, and setting aside the fact that we are assuming their existence, the method of acquiring one and it's origins is entirely in flux depending on context of setting.

I'm saying it's just a general convention of fantasy settings that use them. Sure, you could do it differently from setting to setting, and there are even some settings that already do that.

Is this actually true, canon, in Next?

Unknown at the time, but it is the "standard assumption," for most fantasy settings that use them.