Kinetic Trip (Augment 1)?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I found another thread regarding this, but no one had a clear answer.  

Does Kinteitc trip (augment 1) end a move ?

Here's how it's worded:

Augment 1

Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier force damage. On its next turn, if the target makes a move other than a shift, it falls prone.

So does this mean it moves however far it wants then falls prone?  Or does it fall prone as soon as it starts moving? 

Thanks!
Not clear by RAW.  Probably afterwards.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Yeah, that's not clear so you just have to go off how you interpret the wording.  I'm agree with thespaceinvader - to me it seems you have to actually MAKE THE MOVE to fall prone.  So you move first, then land on your bupkiss.  Talk it over with your DM and come to an agreement before it comes up in the game.

Another reason I like 4e:  stuff like this is one of the few game elements that I believe needs more clarification in a game where the vast majority of the game elements are so well-defined.  Unlike some other editions where it seems like every other sentence can be interpreted three different ways.  Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you get my point.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Hah, that's true I suppose. My only problem is I'm the DM.  I feel like it's also at the end of the move, because otherwise there's no reason add the prone part, it would just say "On its next turn, the target can only shift." because, it's pretty pointless to try a move action and just fall down, thus negating a move and requiring another move just to stand up.  

However, I didn't want to write how I felt it should work because I wanted to see some othere player's unbiased opinions. 
wow that's actually an interesting question since I can see the arguments for either way of using the power.  There's precedence for it proning as soon as the move is begun if it's not a shift for example.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Worth noting that there are 3 possible interpretations: 1: if it tries to move without shifting, it falls prone instead.  2: If it tries to move without shifting, it falls prone after the whole move.  3: If it tries to move without shifting, it gets one square (the definition of 'move' being 'leave one square to enter another') and then falls over.

I'd argue 1 is too powerful, and 2 is too weak, so 3 is probably the way it should work.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I'd go with 3 as well.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Correct answer is 3.  Moving is defined as leaving one square and entering another, full stop.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Ok, good to have a consensus.  So, pretty much creatures will basically just use their shift, since a normal move would stop their movement after 1 square anyways.
agreed on 3 instead 2.  I also agree that if I had to make a ruling at my table I would go with option 3.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

It doesn't end their move action though. It just makes them fall prone after 1 square of non-shifting movement. Then they can crawl for their movement. Which lets they have a move 8, he moves 1 goes prone then can crawl 4 with the combined movement rules.
crawling, like running is an action all of it's own.  Meaning that the prone would end the movement and another movement action would need to be used to crawl.  You can't run 2 squares, fall prone, then crawl the rest as part of the same action.  Or at least as far as my understanding of that stuff goes.

crawling, like running is an action all of it's own.  Meaning that the prone would end the movement and another movement action would need to be used to crawl.  You can't run 2 squares, fall prone, then crawl the rest as part of the same action.  Or at least as far as my understanding of that stuff goes.

I stand corrected!  Can I blame it on being old?
i know the feeling so yes, yes you can :p