Character Creation is not boring (to me)

Some people have been say that classes are boring to create and are all generic and cookie cutter-ish. Just throwing out there that this has been the opposite of my experience. I have seen it help create character hooks and create flexable and diverse characters.

5e character creations focus are background and specilities have helped several of the people I have brought into my game create more interesting characters. From picking a domain/diety to choosing the mistrel or noble backgrounds, the character creation goes beyond what some previous editions did helping players define not just what their characters can do but also who they are. Since guidelines exist to create your own backgrounds this isn't a restriction, but more of a guideline.

The 3 pillar approach also allows for more flexable characters. If you want a cleric that specilizes in stealth you don't have to multiclass like you might have in some previous editions, you just pick a compatable background. A rogue magic user? It is a bit understate but still doable without multiclass. The flexability has been a real draw of this edition to me.

To me it is anything but boring and cookie-cutter except in the way that any game with structure will have to be.

They might feel a little cookie cutter right now, but there are two reasons for this. One, playtest is playtest, which both leads me to and ties in with reason two. The start of any edition is going to have less options than a fully developed edition.
Totally agree. The steps they've taken to make concept inform build choices are good fun and get my imagination going.
I agree.

That is the best part of DDN.

Roll Abilities
Pick Race
Pick Class
Pick "Sub-class"
Pick Background*
Pick Specialty*
Find numbers

*optional

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Character creation currently is good - not fantastic, but good. The background/specialty was a good idea. I was hoping for few more good ideas (some guidance for dm on how to weave character motivations together or character background together might be nice )
Some people have been say that classes are boring to create and are all generic and cookie cutter-ish. Just throwing out there that this has been the opposite of my experience. I have seen it help create character hooks and create flexable and diverse characters.

5e character creations focus are background and specilities have helped several of the people I have brought into my game create more interesting characters. From picking a domain/diety to choosing the mistrel or noble backgrounds, the character creation goes beyond what some previous editions did helping players define not just what their characters can do but also who they are. Since guidelines exist to create your own backgrounds this isn't a restriction, but more of a guideline.

The 3 pillar approach also allows for more flexable characters. If you want a cleric that specilizes in stealth you don't have to multiclass like you might have in some previous editions, you just pick a compatable background. A rogue magic user? It is a bit understate but still doable without multiclass. The flexability has been a real draw of this edition to me.

To me it is anything but boring and cookie-cutter except in the way that any game with structure will have to be.

+1
I have also enjoyed creating a couple of characters. I like this packet far better than the previous one.