Question about typed bonuses

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have a winged shield, which gives me a shield bonus but doesn't take my shield slot, and then my hand are used for carrying 2 weapons (Whirling barbarian) can I take two-weapon defense and still get the bonus or does my shield take up my shield bonus. Also what if the shaman in our group grants me a shield bonus, can I not use that either? I know you can only gain 1 type of bonus, but I can't say for sure in those 2 cases.
why would shield bonuses be different than any other typed bonuses not stacking with themselves?

anything that gives you a "+N bonus", where N is a number, stacks with any other bonuses to the same thing, unless someone else uses the exact same power on you again, in which case it does not stack.

anything that gives you a "+N TYPE bonus", where N is a number and TYPE is literally any word at all between the number and the word "bonus", does not stack with anything else with that same word between the number and the bonus.

there is no difference in the rules depending on what word the TYPE is, at all, nor is it necessary to know all of the available types. A writer could arbitrarily decide to add a series of feats/powers/items that added +1 fecal bonuses to attack rolls, and despite that being nonsensical, it wouldnt require a single new rule for us to understand how that would interact with other bonus types or with other fecal bonuses.

there are many ways to get a shield bonus in 4e, and if you dont start with shield proficiency or at the least decent str/con, actual shields are often the worst place to obtain a shield bonus.
Ok, so as I figured, I can't gain a shield bonus from my power and my shield at the same time. But buffs from others hold to the same rule? if that is the case then pretty much all buffs would need to be untyped.
Ok, so as I figured, I can't gain a shield bonus from my power and my shield at the same time. But buffs from others hold to the same rule? if that is the case then pretty much all buffs would need to be untyped.

...Why? Not a lot of things grant power bonuses, most things granted by party members (leaders) are power bonuses. Some things are untyped. Some things are near useless because of the type of bonus they grant conflicting with a relatively common one that is easier to get, but they usually have niche uses.
My shaman is multied into Paladin and he ha sa feat that gives everyone in group a +2 shield bonus to AC because he is using a shield

They wouldn't stack.  You would get the largest.

However, it's probably from Devout Protector Expertise, and is only +1.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
1 + mark of warding
1 + mark of warding

Mark of Warding only increases the bonuses from powers. Devout Protecter Expertise is a feat.
I mean, maybe it's worth explaining that it's not that you can only have one shield bonus (or feat bonus, or power bonus, or racial bonus), it's that you can only have one per thing it's affecting. Many of the ways to obtain a shield bonus to AC do not also grant a shield bonus to Reflex, while actual shields do.

Almost all party buffing powers grant power bonuses, and you can simultaneously have a power bonus to defenses, a power bonus to attack rolls, a power bonus to initiative, and a power bonus to damage. (Note that a power bonus to AC would not stack with a power bonus to all defenses)

Devout Protector Expertise isn't bad just because it doesn't stack with shields. It frees up your party to not take the necessary feats or enchantments to obtain one of their own, or mitigates the AC cost of switching from sword and board to a two-hander. This flexibility is a good thing. You spent a feat to free up 1-5 feat slots, depending on your party. The downside is that yes, it's a weaker shield bonus than they would end up with if they focused heavily on shields themselves, but most strikers and controllers would rather have those feat/item slots to spend on other things than an extra 1 AC and maybe some reflex (but probably not, very few strikers/controllers get their shield bonuses from real shields, and most of the places they do get them (two-weapon defense, rod expertise, shielding and rythm blades) don't boost reflex either).
And, more to the point, it's one person spending a feat they would have spent anyway (because we all need expertise) to probably increase the effect of their mark (they're probably a Paladin) by improving the defences of their allies.

DPE is a very, very nice feat.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.