help with NPCs

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heya,

I am working on a campaign set in Sharn. Now Shar is a big city with loads and loads of people. I have a number of the canon NPCs already mentioned that I plan to use. What I am asking is if people can help create NPCs for me to use in the game. I like haivng lots of NPCs as my style tends to be more sandbox based then anything else. So threads with lots of NPCs is also good. and hey Other GMs can likely use the help too.

-herkles 
That's kind of general, herkles! Can you be more specific about what sort of NPCs you're looking to create? Give us an idea of the sort of adventures you've got.

Jeff LaSala / freelancer jefflasala.com

Wizards of the Coast:

The Darkwood Mask (The Inquisitives, Eberron)

DDI ("History Check: The Tarrasque," "History Check: Corellon and Gruumsh," "D&D Love Stories," "Faith & Heresy," etc.)

Blindsided Books:

Foreshadows: The Ghosts of Zero

That's kind of general, herkles! Can you be more specific about what sort of NPCs you're looking to create? Give us an idea of the sort of adventures you've got.

Yea kind of general. anyways, the sort of adventures I am planning is an intrigue heavy sharn campaign. The main antagonists will be the agents of the dreaming dark. Of course, a good chunk of the campaign is about intrigue and plots not related to the dreaming dark. 
Starting at level 1?  What edition rules are you going to use?

There's a million ways to start. Might be good to establish a sort of patron NPC. Someone who helps provide plot hooks for ongoing adventures (and hey, maybe they can be someday be quietly replaced by an agent of the Dreaming Dark, at which point the PCs' adventure take a darker turn).

Jeff LaSala / freelancer jefflasala.com

Wizards of the Coast:

The Darkwood Mask (The Inquisitives, Eberron)

DDI ("History Check: The Tarrasque," "History Check: Corellon and Gruumsh," "D&D Love Stories," "Faith & Heresy," etc.)

Blindsided Books:

Foreshadows: The Ghosts of Zero

Well, I'm not sure if the rules are that important. The simple fact, and the touchstone that we can all use, is that its Eberron.

Now, the thing about the Dreaming Dark is that they have a lot of plots, and a lot of plots to counter other plotters' plots. I just got done with my Eberron campaign, and one of the first things I asked was how complex they wanted it. The two choices that I remember that were up towards the "really complex" end were, "Thousand-piece jigsaw puzzle" and "Hold on, let me get my string." My players chose "Thousand-piece jigsaw puzzle."

How complex are you seeing your campaign? 'Cause if you want, "Hold on, let me get my string" I can give you a metaplot that involves pretty much every major power group working with, against, alongside, and in opposition to each other, and your head will explode.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
I'm a huge fan of "Hold on, let me get my string" campaigns. If no one else, I would love to see it sometime :D

A good question for herkles: are you looking for NPCs that have connections to the Dreaming Dark, ties to the main plot, or just random NPCs for flavoring the area? Or all of the above? 
Call me Ender.
One of my favorite archetypes is the foreign spy.

The Foreign Spy:  He or she is clearly a foreign agent, but for who?  Another country?  A house?  The Aurum?  The players may never find out.  The Foreign Spy should never necessarily be perceived as a lethal threat.  But sometimes the Foreign Spy is helpful, sometimes a hindrance.  Players may ask her for help, if there is something in it for her.
I'm a huge fan of "Hold on, let me get my string" campaigns. If no one else, I would love to see it sometime :D

A good question for herkles: are you looking for NPCs that have connections to the Dreaming Dark, ties to the main plot, or just random NPCs for flavoring the area? Or all of the above? 

More of Random NPCs to flavor the areas, that can have plot hooks. 
Sharn is a pretty varied place, leaving lots of room for NPCs to appear anywhere and doing virtually anything. Here's a couple:

1) A professor of Xen'drik studies at Morgrave University. He has recently acquired an artifact from the Giant ruins on the continent that he suspects has some tie to the Giant-Quori war but, before he has a chance to examine it thoroughly, it goes missing. The professor is rather eccentric and excitable. He is deeply worried and begins spouting conspiracy theories about the theft, any of which could be true, but all of which are of dubious veracity. The players notice that the professor has a habit of embellishing the truth and getting his facts wrong. He is, at best, an unreliable witness, yet he's willing to pay the players in knowledge (perhaps the players need to know something esoteric) if they help him retrieve the item. Was it stolen by a member of the Dreaming Dark? Another professor looking to claim fame for the discovery? A thief hoping to sell it on the black market?

2) A kalashtar new to Sharn has managed to find himself on the wrong side of the law, but he swears he was framed for a crime he didn't commit. To make matters worse, House Deneith appears to be getting itself involved. They claim the crime perpetrated deals with the potential release of House secrets and, as such, the kalashtar should be remanded into their custody. The kalashtar seems excessively frightened by this, wanting nothing more than to remain outside of Deneith's reach (he may know that secret that Deneith was compromised in Sharn and the House Deneith enclave consists primarily of mind seeded individuals led by a Dreaming Dark agent). The kalashtar community is in an uproar (albeit, a passive uproar) about this scandal and they promise to aid anyone who manages to determine who has framed the kalashtar and prove his innocence. The kalashtar seems normally calm, but a streak of panic runs through him at the mention of Deneith. It's fairly clear that he's hiding something about the crime he's said to have committed, but what? Is he, in fact, innocent at all?
Call me Ender.
Here's a generic Morgrave professor. Pick History as his Savant skill, and he might match what Ender said.

Morgrave Professor
Level 4
Bystander
Medium natural humanoid, dwarf
XP 0
HP 1 (as minion)

Initiative +1
AC 18
Fortitude 16
Reflex 18
Will 16
Perception +4
Speed 5
Saving Throws +5 against poison
Action Points 0

Traits
Savant: The professor designates one of the following skills as its area of expertise: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Heal, History, Nature, or Religion.
Stand Your Ground: When an effect forces a dwarf to move, the dwarf moves 1 less square than the effect specifies. When an attack should knock the dwarf prone, the dwarf can roll a saving throw to avoid falling prone.
Minor Actions
Eureka! * Daily. Effect: The professor gains a +5 power bonus tot he next savant skill check it makes.
Skills History +11, Nature +9
Str 12 (+3)
Dex 8 (+1)
Wis 14 (+4)

Con 15 (+4)
Int 18
Cha 12 (+3)

Alignment any
Languages Common, Dwarven
Equipment scholar's robes, moderate lab or library