My first card: Jace

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Me and a friend have been working on a fantasy league that were gonna draft. Currently this is what we have for jace. Wondering any input, thanks.

Jace, The Omnicient
Planeswalker    1 Loyalty

+1 Scry 1
-2 Draw 3 cards, then put 2 cards from your hand on top of your library
-5 Reveal X instant and/or Sorcery spells from your hand, Target player puts the top 2x cards of his or her
library into his or her graveyard.

Thanks for reading guys, Glad to be on the site

Welcome to the forum.

I don't like CMC 2 Planeswalkers because they suck. Jace is one of the most powerful planeswalkers so why make him suck?

As for the card, I don't understand the ultimate. What is X?

Brainstorm as an ability is fine, but it's already been done before on a Jace. I like the Scry though, I like the name, although this card is so weak it doesn't fit flavorwise.

Honestly, I would up the cost and loyalty, make his plus scry one and draw one, or something. 
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
The ultimate is revealing like 3 instats/sorceries from ur hand, they mill 6. I appreciate the feedback, thank you HonorBasquiat
the ultimate is really weak. it takes 4 turns of +1ing him without interference to get it to go off, you can buff it.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Ive changed his abilities a bit, making him a bit better, while increasing his cost a tad. I feel his 2 minus abilites synergise really well with eachother. I also upped his loyalty to 2, lemme know ur thoughts or any ideas

I gagged when I saw its ultimate ability but I guess blue likes to play metagame

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
Ive changed his abilities a bit, making him a bit better, while increasing his cost a tad. I feel his 2 minus abilites synergise really well with eachother. I also upped his loyalty to 2, lemme know ur thoughts or any ideas

I feel now his plus ability is way too good for just 3 mana. Remember than Jace Beleren costs 1UU, but makes all players draw a card. Phrexian Arena cost 3, and makes you lose a life each turn. Not saying this couldn't be on him, I just think he would have to cost more, or it would have to be a minus ability.

As for the minus 2, what is that based on? A card, or just original content. I like it. Dream Twist + Divination 

Ultimate is fine, maybe even a little underwhelming, you could even tack an emblem on it that says "Instants and sorceries you cast costs 1 less to play" 
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
Mooncows, don't take Matt_Holk seriously. He's a bit of a troll.

I do have to say that the new verision's +1 seems too good.
I also wonder whether the mill effect should be targeted since Jace likes to play up that angle.It would read weirdly with the drawing bit but it's worth considering.
As for the ultimate, it's still a little unerwhelming. This guy doesn't gain loyalty very fast and hits his ult on turn 6. Turn 6 sounds reasonable but that's assuming you play Jace turn 3 and he never gets hit once, with each pint of damae taken sending him back a whole turn. I would lower the cost to 4 or 5 if you keep the ult as it is. Regardless, I would make it "any number" instead of all. If you want to change it you could have Jace cast some cards from the graveyard. Perhaps you put instants&sorceries into your hand from your grave until you have 7 cards and then cast the remaining instant/sorceries for free? It would only hit paydirt in dedicated control decks but when it happens it would be suitably epic.
I agree that the +1 is a tad too good, i didnt realise it untill i did it. Does anyone have any ideas for +1? I really love the scry on a jace myself, the flavor is since hes omnicient or all seeing that he is able to always see whats coming next, so mabvy just bumping up the scry to like 2 and removing the draw effect? 
The -2 was kind of based on thought scour, but a bit juiced up. Perhaps his - ability should be something to protect himself?
The ultimate does feel underwhelming, however its hard to find that line of an exciting ultimate, that isnt just game breaking. Perhaps something along the lines of gaining an emblem that gives all instant/sorceries in ur graveyard flashback = to there cmc? just an idea 
if a game goes 10 turns, he drops maybe but probably not on turn 3 so hes got 10 "loyalty" mana counters to cast his his negative spells. Each negative slot takes up a turn and losses of gaining more mana loyalty counters. So by turn 10, Jace will have drawn 3 cards and done some sorting.

Curiosity

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
the new version is way too strong. compared to Jace Beleren, who's not bad, you get a lot of extra card draw at the cost of a bit less loyalty
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
the ultimate is really weak. it takes 4 turns of +1ing him without interference to get it to go off, you can buff it.

I saw the -2 as a bigger problem. It's basically Brainstorm with +1 card advantage. Which wouldn't be a problem, except miracle, and any card that lets you reshuffle or scry.

And the +1 is too strong, by far. It's card advantage. Notice that the original Jace's +2 is strictly worse, and doesn't actually grant card advantage.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt