U/R/G deck input needed

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I've been messing around with a u/r/g deck for a while and plan on taking it to local FNM. The problem is I'm having a hard time deciding on what to run it as or even if I should cut the red maybe.

Local FNM here has a lot of very strong decks with giant budgets. There are a lot of thragtusks and resto angel decks and most of the top decks. The only thing that's not been common thus far are aggro decks.

This deck plays as an aggro deck that should win on turn 5, possibly even sooner. It also stands a chance later in the game if something goes wrong. I really enjoy the pump spells in it, having mana up and cards in my hand keeps my enemy on edge.

The deck as of now

Creatures - 14

Enchantments - 3
[deck]3 Wild defiance [/deck]

Spell's - 21
[deck]2 Mizzium mortars
4 Mizzium skin
3 Ghostform
4 Wild Hunger
4 Titanic Growth
4 Giant Growth [/deck]

Lands - 22
[deck]4 Steam Vents
3 Sulfur Falls
4 Hinterland Harbor
7 Forest
2 Mountain
2 Island [/deck]

I still don't have the sideboard done yet, I'll have some enchantment / artifact removal, counterspells, and some burn spells on it so far.

First of I would rather have the Mizzium Skin over Ranger's Guile for the blue cost vs the green cost. Easier to be aggressive with green mana and hold back a blue for protection.

I have been tempted to do the Nightshade Peddler and Izzet Staticaster combo but for one it would slow down the deck. I am open to trying them but I'd need some other changes to justify it.

I've been tempted to drop the red since its not doing very much. However I'd like to have some red burn spells on my sideboard to help clear threats if needed. I also enjoy Wild Hunger a lot and the flashback on it can be helpfull in longer games.

So any suggestions or tips? Budget isn't an issue and I'm open to at least try anything in playtesting. Thanks in advance.
this deck seems to have 1 too many colors..... and i can't honestly tell which color that is

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Ok so if where to drop the red what cards would you suggest in place of the ones I'd have to drop?
-2 Huntmaster of the Fells
-2 Mizzium Mortars
-4 Wild Hunger

I'd really like to keep the creature's at 14, I like the balance there so I'd need 2 more. I'd be loosing the trample effect on wild hunger and that I'd miss and I don't want to run Rancor.

I'd so be pretty lost on my sideboard with the removal of red. As well as that throws out the Staticaster + nightshade combo that I was tempted to run on the sideboard.
Ok well after some messing around I have figured out some of the changes to make if I take the red out. However I'm having a very hard time deciding which ones to use.

You can see the cards above that I'm taking out. I'll need 2 creatures and 6 spells, the lands are an easy fix. I could really use some input on these cards as what ones to use.

For the creatures I'm thinking:
Wild Beastmaster
pump her up and attack, now all my others just got those sweet boost as well for "free". Issue is that I tend to only 2 or 3 creatures in play if not just one.

Nivmagus Elemental
He can be helpful if my enemy is trying to counter my pump spells. Problem is he is another 1 drop and I'm not so sure I would like having 10x 1 drops in the deck.

Augur of Bolas
Nice 2 drop that would help me try and grab another pump spell. No real drawback but I'm not sure if 1 of the others would make more sense.

Primordial Hydra
I don't know why but I just like this card a lot. I know he doesn't fit the deck to well, but I can see him netting me a win if something goes wrong in early game.

For the spells I'm thinking:
+1 Wild Defiance
Just to make sure I'm getting it every game.
+1 Ghostform
Targets to creatures for wild defiance and makes them unblockable.
+4 Hunger of the Howlpack
I like the card, and felt like its not a terrible replacement for Wild Hunger. I might even be able sneak in its morbid effect by pumping a creature during combat.

So out of those creatures what 2 should I use? Or any other you might suggest instead? Perhaps there's a better card for the deck than Hunger of the Howlpack?

Not a BIG suggestion but if you're going to stick with the blistercoils you could try Artful Dodge instead.

For the same amount of mana it'll do the same thing except you'll get two triggers for the blistercoils instead of just one. You can also just play it only once and use the flashback later.

I think you've posted before with a similar wild defiance deck. How is the testing going? Anything slowing you down or anything doing amazing?

Nope this is my first shot at a deck that's not U/R in a long time. The testing isn't going to bad at all I've made a few other changes to fix some issues I was running into.

Creatures - 14

Enchantments - 7
[deck]4 Wild Defiance
3 curiosity[/deck]

Spells - 18
[deck]4 Mizzium Skin
4 Ghostform
4 Giant Growth
4 Titanic Growth
2 Ranger's Guile[/deck]

Lands - 21
4- Hinterland Harbor
9- Forest
8- Island

Sideboard - 15
[deck]4 Naturalize
4 Prey Upon
4 Fog
3 Dispel[/deck]

I added in the Curiosity due to the fact I kept having to run my hand down before I was ready to unload with Wild Defiance.

I would run Artful Dodge but the effect on Blistercoil Weird is a bonus. Ghostform let's me target 2 creatures for Wild Defiance without having to tie up 2 blue. I will give it a try though to see if it works better, it does make a lot of sense.

Really there's not to many issues I've been running into so long as don't play my hand out to fast. The Delver's are starting to not flip consitany but often enough there flipped by turn 5 when I'm set up to unload. I am starting to think perhaps replacing them with 3- Nivmagus Elemental and another Augor of Bolas.

The deck is running a bit slower than I had planned, I find my self always holding back 1 mana for a hex proof effect. That leaves me having to wait until turn 5 to go in for the win, by then there's often a defense set up. I am running into issues with not having a Ghostform in hand to sneak threw with, I'm tempted to throw in Artful Dodge as well.

Well, you're right, you do need two blue for the Artful Dodges and you have less blue available. It's something to consider, although I wouldn't run both the dodges and the ghostform.

Have you thought about Savage Surge rather than titanic growth? Your guys are small and but if you have the defiance in play the surge is better because you can untap to block if you have to. You still end up getting a +5/+5 combined effect. 

I almost feel like this would be a better deck if it were G/W. You have common bond and a lot of other cards that can give you first strike and lifelink and selesneya charm. 

I have been tempted to go to G/W but I really like the options for creatures from blue (all of them are blue atm) and the unblockable effects to just bypass any defenses set up.

I was tempted to run both dodge spells due to how helpful it is to just bypass defenses for a faster win.

I am still on edge about savage surge, I do like the untap portion of it. My only issue with not wanting to run it is that
- I play it as an aggressive deck and not many on the current meta can keep up.
- Blistercoil's get the untap effect from every spell.
- +4 vs +2 could be the difference between a win and loss.

I am still having issues with draw's and curiosity is looking less and less helpful. Often it's only netting me 1 or 2 draws before I'm going for the win. I can't think of any other card that would fit into the deck for draws. Augor of bolas is doing great for it though.

I'm still leaning more toward cutting at least a couple of Delver's. Perhaps Adding more Augur of Bolas in place since they are proving to be great.

I am also thinking of going down to 20 lands....right now even at 21 one of my biggest issues is getting to many. Best case I'll only want 4 in play trying to go for the win. Most of my deck are 1 or 2 drops with only the 4- 3 drops. I at one point managed to almost pull of a win with 2 lands in testing vs a token deck I have.
my buddy used to have a green deck that abused the wild defiance much like your deck here does. if you are worried about the unblockable effect look at creatures like champion of lambholt also spells like blessings of nature work wonders with wild defince since you can target multiple creatures at once.

my buddy did 18 damage to me once for the win with a 2/2 and two wild defiance
I do like the champion of lambolt, my only issue is that not only is she a 3 drop (same as wild defiance) but she also takes 2 green. I'm not fond of using cards that take 2 of color in a multicolor deck, let alone a fast one. It is a great card though but it doesn't fit this deck to well IMO.

I have been kind of looking at Wandering Wolf for the deck. Pumping him up makes him essentially unblockable is nice. However as a 2 drop he conflict's with my mana curve and I don't want to drop my other 2 drops.

I did try it with blessing of nature early in testing and decided it took way to much luck to cast. Unless I cast it for its miracle cost, it would be a dead card in my hand.

Yea you can hit some insane numbers with wild defiance and you can those numbers on turn 4 or 5 with any luck. The card turns all your creatures into lethal threats if you have cards in hand. Good suggestions though, they just don't fit the deck so well.
00Brak • December 18, 2012 1:43 PM PST
Ok well after some messing around I have figured out some of the changes to make if I take the red out. However I'm having a very hard time deciding which ones to use.

You can see the cards above that I'm taking out. I'll need 2 creatures and 6 spells, the lands are an easy fix. I could really use some input on these cards as what ones to use.

For the creatures I'm thinking:
Wild Beastmaster
pump her up and attack, now all my others just got those sweet boost as well for "free". Issue is that I tend to only 2 or 3 creatures in play if not just one.

Nivmagus Elemental
He can be helpful if my enemy is trying to counter my pump spells. Problem is he is another 1 drop and I'm not so sure I would like having 10x 1 drops in the deck.

Augur of Bolas
Nice 2 drop that would help me try and grab another pump spell. No real drawback but I'm not sure if 1 of the others would make more sense.

Primordial Hydra
I don't know why but I just like this card a lot. I know he doesn't fit the deck to well, but I can see him netting me a win if something goes wrong in early game.

For the spells I'm thinking:
+1 Wild Defiance
Just to make sure I'm getting it every game.
+1 Ghostform
Targets to creatures for wild defiance and makes them unblockable.
+4 Hunger of the Howlpack
I like the card, and felt like its not a terrible replacement for Wild Hunger . I might even be able sneak in its morbid effect by pumping a creature during combat.

So out of those creatures what 2 should I use? Or any other you might suggest instead? Perhaps there's a better card for the deck than Hunger of the Howlpack
?
=============
i would forget about Nivmagus Elemental he is a funky dude and it might just be me but i dont like him.

augur of bolas is good but i hate when i miss out on say a wild defiance because i put him in play.

primordial hydra FTW every time love this guy.

wild beastmaster would be great for your unblockable creatures aswell

hunger of the howl pack is great. find a creature to sac for the plus 3

ghostform never gave this card a second look until now. i like it.
Well the Nivmagus elemental is a very nice card in the right match's. If they try and counter spell any of my spells I can just sac it and still get not only the +3 from wild defiance since it targeted something I'd also get 2 counters. So vs control decks he can be amazing and he's a 1 drop.

I'm growing more and more fond of augur of bolas in this deck. Generally in wanting to have a wild defiance in the starting hand, and being able to fetch another pump spell with a cheap creature is perfect for trying to rush the win. I find his value out ways his risk of missing a wild defiance, it doesn't even destroy it. I don't have to use wild defiance for the win ether there's enough pump in the deck to do it on its own.

Ghostform is a good card for this deck but in most others there's better choices for getting the job done. Primordial hydra is a very underrated card IMO but he doesn't fit the deck well at all. Wild Beastmaster is great but since I generally only have 2 creatures in play at a time she's a waste here.

Hunger of the Howlpack had to go as well it was only situationally good and I can't sac anything with this deck. Losing a creature for this deck is a major pain to come back from most of time hence all the spells with hexproof.
well your deck seems fast and strong how does it stack up aginst other deck types.
So far I've only play tested it vs my other decks and it doing great vs them. It can generally beat my other agro deck. I have to slow it down a bit and make sure I have a hexproof effect ready at all times vs controlling decks but it generally stomps on them with that adjustment. My midrange decks are just getting stabalized by the time this deck unloads on them for the win.

The only things right now getting its way outside of having bad luck with draws (to much land or creatures) are things like a well timed fog or not having the ability to bypass creatures on defense and letting the deck stablalize.

With some sideboard cards though I can work around those issues. It's not as fast as the top R/B agro deck but its not prone to the issue of losing after turn 5.

The deck is in a pretty good spot now, just a few things to tweak like the land count. Still thinking about replacing the curiosity's with another card. I just think that I'll have to make do without any draw effects aside from augor. Also thinking about cutting a delver for another augur of bolas.

Generally the things I'm worrying about at FNM are strong control decks, a high price R/B deck, or an early board sweep. Outside of that I should with any luck be able to have turn 5 wins.
yeah i playtest aginst my other decks too only problem is i tend build bad decks so its not much of a test.
Ok well after some more toying around with things I have made a couple of changes. It's now moving faster and I'm enjoying it a bit more as well.
-4 delver of secrets
-3 curiosity
-1 forest
For
+4 Arbor elf
+4 Savage Surge

Arbor elf is not only letting me drop a T2 wild defiance but it also works really well with savage surge making a 1 cost and untapping him.

Of topic I also tested out going W/G and it works just as well (mabey better) as this one. Fencing ace turns into a real beast with it and selesnia charm is amazing in it.

Thanks for the tips and post, hopefully the deck does as well as it has been in testing.