If things were to start going down hill.

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
If things were to start going down hill in magic, what game would you turn to?
MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC!!!!!!!!
Magic the Gathering.  Because the only definition of downhill for me is if WOTC stopped making new sets for MTG.

When theme decks became intro packs, as a precon collector, that was what I thougt was the most dumb decision that WOTC made, considering how the packaging also functions as a deck box that holds 75 unsleeved cards.  When they changed into the larger packaging, and have 41 cards, yeah, I though MTG was done for me.  Then I came back when Scars of Mirrodin was the newest set, looking for a fresh start, playing MTG like normal people do, that is one deck, and modifying that one deck.  In the end, I went back to the Intro pack collecting habit, and having many decks, unmodified precons.

During that fresh start, I also tried to start collecting Yugioh and Pokemon cards.  I never collected them 8 years ago. when I mostly collected MTG.  Never collected Pokemon cards during elementary school, and never collected yugioh.  Now I guess I got into the Pokemon fad 12 years too late.  As with Pokemon and Yugioh, precon collecting habit.  I buy tons of structure decks and starter decks for yugioh, and also theme decks for Pokemon TCG and never once had made my own deck.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
Well, my faith in the game is pretty unshakable.  They might flub up a set or two, but they average out pretty well.  And even then, since I predominantly focus on multiplayer, that won't be affected by their failings as a company.

But, on the off-chance that I had to abandon ship, I think that I would give War Machine a try.  A friend of mine is a War Hammer convert and said that War Machine is basically War Hammer + Magic.  He's been trying to get me to play for a while now, but my gaming budget can only realistically cover one of the two games, and Magic was here first.  Still, it does seem like a really fun game that I could devote my Magic budget to if Magic suddenly failed to inspire me to spend.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

What I mean by downhill is that magic is not popular anymore.
MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC!!!!!!!!

Well, even then, I have my playgroup and we're pretty into it.  Overall popularity doesn't factor in much with that.

Still, though, my answer would remain the same: War Machine would be my #2 choice.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

As signofzeta said, still Magic: the Gathering. Who cares if its not "popular"? As long as I can find a single player for a casual game, or about three for a good cube draft, I'm good.

As for other games we also play, as you want to ask but shouldn't be using "the end of Magic as we know it" as the starting point, I do and would keep playing RPG  - D&D and Storyteller.

[<o>]

If?

Where have people been since Lorwyn?

I will turn to the forums to tell Wizards to get their collective s*** together and actually put people on development teams who actually playtest cards before they release them. No other game has the potential that magic does. 

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

If?

I will turn to the forums to tell Wizards to get their collective s*** together and actually put people on development teams who actually playtest cards before they release them. No other game has the potential that magic does. 

You do realize that the last few blocks have done nothing but repeatedly smash sales and OP records, right? If you think Magic is on a downswing, you haven't been paying attention.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I wouldn't play TCGs anymore if anything happened to Magic. I'd just fill the time with something else.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.

If?

You do realize that the last few blocks have done nothing but repeatedly smash sales and OP records, right? If you think Magic is on a downswing, you haven't been paying attention.

If I was to judge his response right I don't think that matters to him;  that would probably just mean we are all "idiots" in his eyes because in his opinion nothing since lorwyn has been any good.

Apparently he didn't play Alara, Zendikar, Scars, Innistard or RTR.  If you can't find cards in ANY of those sets that you like, maybe YOU'RE the one with the problem?

Looking back Scars would have been a great block for me; I love Phyrexia and love when the bad guys win.  Therefore Zendikar would have been great, though I'm not a huge Eldrazi fan.  

@Shard_Fenix; if I mis-judged your post feel free to correct me.

Magic is literally the only game I play anymore (a decade of collecting will do that). I think if Magic started to go down hill, I'd probably just stop gaming.
I wouldn't play TCGs anymore if anything happened to Magic. I'd just fill the time with something else.

Agreed. I don't card for these type of card games usually and don't play D&D. I'd probably just have more time for my girlfriend and more time to enhance my Mandarin and Sichuanese.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Warlords: Saga of the storm, because I love the whole DnD on cards thing. Though I've never actually played DND I had a lot of friends who were into it, and it has grown on me.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
I dont know what i would do. At this point, ive spent more of my life then as magic player, then not. 

Guess I would buy the rest of the dominion expansions.  Thats a fun game to play with my non mtg playing friends since ownership of cards doesnt affect the game. 

i dunno.....start a family ? XD
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
To be honest I dont understand what "go downhill" means.   If every single magic card in existence simultaneously combusted, people could just print proxies and play with them.  If the entire planet was affected with amnesia and forgot about Magic, I could just start teaching the game to people from scratch...

Basically youre asking what happens if WOTC ever stopped printing sets and supporting tournament play I think?  I think a lot of players wouldnt really be affected much.  And people can always run their own private tournaments.

The existence of the internet guarantees that any group of devoted fans, no matter how small, can maintain a vibrant community supporting just about anything.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

I think magic probably supports a lot of the hobby shops.  So the shops would most likely go away unless something could instantly become as popular.  At that point no need to worry as there wouldn't be a place to play.

If magic tanked, I would probably try and get all the expensive cards on the cheap from the droves of people leaving.  Sit on them and hope can find a few people to play with.  Eventually it would get picked back up with whatever fix is needed to undo what happened.

I don't think I would go with another game like this.  Maybe get back into video games or just spend the time going out for walks and such.

Probably this. I would still play board games and silly $5 card games that my friends buy obsessively, but any real TCG I tried to play would be a shadow of Magic, and I would constantly be saying "Oh, well in Magic, we did it like this".
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
If the entire planet was affected with amnesia and forgot about Magic, I could just start teaching the game to people from scratch...

Woah woah, are you trying to tell me, you are not of this world?

If Magic was gone, or WOTC did something stupid to the game, we always have Heroes of Might and Magic, and Master of Magic.  Those are close enough right?  They do have "Magic" in its name.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS

I haven't actually thought about it, and I wouldn't worry so much. Sales have actually been increasing for the last couple years.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I think if it went down hill I would do like some others have suggested;  try and grab cards I like once the prices drop (which would happen; though how much is hard to say) and just keep playing.  I mostly only play casual and a lot of my friends have had decks together for years.  Yes sometime they get stripped down/modified but if you like a deck you will most likely always like it.  

So in short, just keep playing casual and grab cards in the secondary market when I could.
Dominion.

If you like Magic, but are looking for something a bit more contained (i.e. don't have to worry about 100s of cards at a time), I HIGHLY recommend Dominion. It's a deck-building game with tons of variety but easier to grasp rules and gameplay. It's a lot easier to master, but still a blast to play.