12/19/2012 Feature: "The Battlefield Battle"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "The Battlefield Battle", which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
So when are you going to make the Red Zone optional?
I cannot second the above suggestion hard enough. The Red Zone just gets in the way, and does not actually add any clarity to combat.
Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com
I used to be a red-zone hater. But, now that I've gotten used to it I think its great. I like the ability to have it only open during combat. That's a great visual cue.
"When a new permanent is added to the battlefield, the layout has to change to accommodate and there's nothing we can do about that."

Yes, there is. Drop the unexplicable center alignment and bring back left alignment. This is one of the changes that I simply can't understand.

I'm also saddened that we STILL have no better solution for targeting. The way it works right now in the beta client is simply strictly worse that what we have in v3 and much less clear.

That all said, let me say that the red zone is an excellent idea, and I applaud the efforts made to avoid all the moving around that was related to it.
ricklongo and RicardoLongo on MTGO. Check out my articles at PureMTGO
Reading this as a SW developer, with no experience using the new client, I enjoyed reading the details of the trade-offs that have to be made.  Thanks for the read, Ryan.

Something to think about - are there any battlefield organizational techniques that can be borrowed from Duels of the Planeswalkers, that make sense to import into MTGO?  Obviously the graphics are different, but I'm curious how many of the underlying algorithms are the same, or could be made more similar.

Granted, Duels is usually solving a simpler problem, but some of the same issues (i.e. being able to plan ahead when you're going to click multiple permanents) seems like they would be the same impact, or even worse, on other platforms like iPad.
"When a new permanent is added to the battlefield, the layout has to change to accommodate and there's nothing we can do about that."

Yes, there is. Drop the unexplicable center alignment and bring back left alignment. This is one of the changes that I simply can't understand.

This. A thousand times this. Even if you are so married to the idea of center alignment as an option, let us chose left aligned. Playing some games, it can be quite important to know when something came upon to the battlefield. With left align, that is very clear. With center it is not nearly as much so. It is also quite irritating playing Momir with a center alignment as the new creature appears on different sides, and once again shows the superiority of the left aligned system.

On a different note: I found it comical that the image used for the collection screen discussion is the old client (which is the layout I prefer).

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

All these changes are nice an all ... I guess, because I couldn't really check them. By far the biggest issue I have with Beta is its performance. I don't have a top computer but it's not that bad either and the lag, multiple program failures, etc. make the Beta completely unplayable for me. I wonder if it's only me but the actual stand of the program is basically unacceptable, and seeing that the newest versions do not represent an improvement I start fearing that I will not be able to play MTGO when the new client goes live (I mean when V3 gets retired). I just started the new client and after 6 minutes I still can't access my deck. If this is an acceptable behaviour, let me know...

I'm also saddened that we STILL have no better solution for targeting. The way it works right now in the beta client is simply strictly worse that what we have in v3 and much less clear.

I love the Beta client but this (and lag) are the two reasons I just haven't been able to use it right now.  

I've posted on twitter, in the questionairre online but it can't hurt to say it again.  The crosshairs for targeting is a decision that I really don't understand.  I waste so much time trying to see what has happened and the misclicks and misinterpretation has cost me at least 3 packs (in swiss, so that's 3 rounds).

Please, please, please get us a targeting system that makes sense. 

I also really like the red zone, FWIW.
I like that things on the battlefield are centered. But, if they wanted to have a user preference for centered or left-justified, I wouldn't mind that either.
Thanks Wotc for making these changes.
It shows you are still listening to feedback and that those of us who send in it arent wasting our time doing so.

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Thanks Wotc for making these changes.
It shows you are still listening to feedback and that those of us who send in it arent wasting our time doing so.

The problem is that they aren't listening enough to our feedback. They've made some concessions about some of their designs but they refuse to listen to the players (read: the end users) when it comes to the underlying design issues that cause the problem. For example: targetting indicators. I've never heard anyone (outside of a couple corner cases) that had any issues with the targeting arrows that we have in the live client. WotC has said many times that they don't like them and are looking for another solution. We don't want another solution, we want the targeting arrows back. I've seen countless posts saying this and yet they refuse to budge from their stance of "we don't like them, we're going to find something else."
If it ain't broke...
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/50738226/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Sign In to post comments