12/18/2012 Feature: "Booster Draft"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "Booster Draft", which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Perhaps it has never come up in my experience of drafting online, but is there a reason that Magic Online has a 4 copy limit on nonland cards while real-world drafting does not?
I am banking on that's a mispaste. I have no verfication but I distinctly remembering running as many as 5-6 paralyzes in ME1 Draft a few years back. Also during small set draft releases I've definetly got and ran more than 4 of some cards. Has it recently changed?
While I can't say if MTGO has a 4-of rule or not, but 'general' (ie. real life) Magic doesn't. So I can't tell if the article is right and MTGO is just unique in this way, or if it's an oversight/error. Latest tournament rules:

7.1 Deck Construction Restrictions
Limited decks must contain a minimum of forty cards. There is no maximum deck size.
Players are not restricted to four of any one card in Limited tournament play.

I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
As it is, this article shouldn't have gone up. It seems like the mistakes are due to copy-pasting and lackluster editing, but given that you want to have a newcomer-friendly article promoting MTGO and drafting, this is painful. There are existing texts that explain drafting, its history and popularity without being confusing and downright wrong.

Successful draft decks go 3-0, not 4-0. The logic linking PT drafts and popularity is flawed. The bullet point list is wrong (no 4-of limit on MTGO or RL) and confusing ("only cards you pick through drafting" doesn't mention how adding basic lands work exactly, which is the #1 question I get from people which are new to limited). I'm not a native speaker, but "Finding Draft" does not sound very natural to me. The numbered list is not applicable to drafting (e.g., "choose your deck" and "Multiplayer"). The details don't mention how multiple sets in a block are drafted, the set order and that Gatecrash drafting is a deviation from the norm. The part about the B&R list is quite unnecessary. Last but not least, if you take the time to explain what Pro Tours are, you can't just use the abbreviation "PTQ" without at least a short explanation.

1. Choose Game Type

2. Choose tournament style or skill level

3. Choose your deck (Magic Online will auto-select the correct format)

4. Choose any additional options (such as "Multiplayer")

5. Click Next Game in Open Play or choose your tournament from the results and join

These steps do not have anything to do with finding a Draft tournament, and they do not match the accompanying image.
Cards are banned in Ice Age draft.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Cards are banned in Ice Age draft.

There are (even now, with a few of the more egregious problems dealt with) several errors of both omission and commission in the article, but that's not one of them - there are no Alice drafts on MTGO, never have been, and almost certainly never will be.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Sign In to post comments