Unarmed (mostly) Striker for upcomming campaign.

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking for suggestions for a class or build that might fit this concept.

Large physically imposing bruiser type who uses fists for most combat. When angered or pushed too far will use a hefty weapon, probably a Mordenkrad to lad down extra smackdown.

I would like to stick to races like Half Orc, Goliath, Mul ect. who are generally physically large. I also assume I may need some monk in the build as either hybrid, full monk or multiclass for unarmed combat feature. Brawler fighter is also an option however it does not go well with 2 handers.

Since I will be splitting resources between unarmed combat and a 2 hander I will be weaker so I am looking for a way to make up the difference to hit a level where I can contribute meaningfully with either combat option. 

The compain will probably be low to mid Heroic so Op is less crucial and I can get away with it but if there are some tricks you think of for Paragon I would love to hear em in case the game goes longer than expected.
Well with pretty much any build where unarmed isn't a terrible idea, you've put enough resources into it or obtained enough features that the Mordenkrad won't particularly add any extra oomph at all when you bring it out. As-noted, the brawler doesn't play well with two-handers, and monks don't care at all either way because their powers don't deal weapon damage.

For flavor, use a monk. For mechanics, probably still monk, but pretend your weapon selection actually means something via fluff?

In low heroic, weapon die size still matters, so default unarmed dice are awful and should never be used for anything ever on any build.
I think the general issue is that if you go the Monk Unarmored Combatant route, that means you have a +3 to hit/1d8 off-hand weapon. That's very optimizable in specific ways that don't really lend themselves to swinging a big two-handed weapon.

That said, you might want to look at Ishkara - the character gets to use Str for AC while having a base 20 Str. Not needing to be human would likely be a benefit - you could go Dwarf for Dwarven Weapon Training so as to get a damage bonus for investing in a weapon you didn't really need.
i'm currently playing a half-orc tempest fighter pmc ranger.

i took elemental initiate to up my unarmed to d6 and get access to ki focus.
Another option is to refluff.  I play a character that is somewhat similar.  He is a human Stradin (which is basically a striker at low levels) and my DM allowed me to refluff my hands as a Mordenkraad.  Now if you do something like that you have to be careful to make sure that you never take advantage of it (so dont try to hold crap in your hands while you punch people, and if he wants you to minor out your weapon do so), but it can be a fun way to open up a huge wealth of classes to the idea of the unarmed build.  My character in particular was designed after the Pikey from Snatch.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
For flavor, use a monk. For mechanics, probably still monk

I assume you meant multiclass monk:  Way of the Fist.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I second the refluff option, but also you may want to look at an arena fighter, which can use improvised weapons pretty well. Why carry around a mordenkrad when you can just hit a guy with a table? This is not gonna be hugely optimal, but it's very true to concept mechanically if that's important to you (and again, if it's not, just refluff - it's the easiest and most optimal answer).
Better question:

Why carry around a mordenkrad when your fists are +3/d12 weapons?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Way of the fist fixes the fists, but for all intents and purposes makes the Mordenkrad part silly. Not that full monk doesn't do the same thing, they just do so for different reasons.

Optimizing a character around the "wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, now I'm dangerous!" Concept is "neat," I suppose, but in practice, whichever weapon you focus on making more optimal will end up getting a lot more use, unless you like being frustrated at yourself and frustrating your party by intentionally underperforming for no apparent reason.

If you leave your fists awful and use them while a Mordenkrad is strapped to your back, and have the nerve to call yourself a striker, [insert insult here]. If you optimize the fists, the Mordenkrad is pointless.

About the only thing I can think of is a barbarian or fighter, cherry picking equal numbers of powers that require two-handed weapons and powers that require two weapons. But even then, you're spending twice as many feats on bringing both weapon sets up to par, which will either lower par, or leave you with terrible defenses.
The other thing to note is that this concept
When angered or pushed too far will use a hefty weapon, probably a Mordenkrad to lad down extra smackdown.

is generally addressed in 4e with daily powers, or maybe encounters if he gets angry often. The more I think about it, the more I feel that this should just be handled with fancy talk at the table.
You should really stick with either optimizing your fists or the mordenkrad. Splitting resources between two different fighting styles is generally a bad idea.
Better question:

How are you doing this? I'm unable to find "Way of the Fist", but found a multiclass feat called "Master of the Fist", which grants the Unarmed Combatant feature (+3/d8). And there's a second feat called "Inproved Monk Unarmed Strike" which brings the fists up to +3/d10. But I can't find anything that brings the fists up to +3/d12. Help me out?
Better question:

How are you doing this? I'm unable to find "Way of the Fist", but found a multiclass feat called "Master of the Fist", which grants the Unarmed Combatant feature (+3/d8). And there's a second feat called "Inproved Monk Unarmed Strike" which brings the fists up to +3/d10. But I can't find anything that brings the fists up to +3/d12. Help me out?

Believe that is in reference to the shock trooper paragon path, increases the damage die of offhand weapons by 1 so 1d10 becomes 1d12
Since you didn't say anything about having to go without wearing armor, you could go Battlemind (MC Monk)/Lyrander Windrider to do decent damage with Brutal Barrage with either your fists (Master of the Fist + Thunderfist Ki Focus) or a Mordenkrad (Lightning Weapon or Force Weapon if you are also a Wild Focus Battlemind and take the Thundering Force feat at paragon level).  All of your attacks (fist or hammer) will deal 2X Con damage and you will attack 4X per round with an Augment 1 Brutal Barrage.

At low levels, most Battlemind powers are usually either ONLY Con damage or are only 1W, so it really doesn't matter too much if you are doing Con, d8 or d12 in damage per attack.  Once Brutal Barrage comes on line, however, not only will there be a spike in your damage, but like I said, it will work equally well with fists or hammer.
I wouldn't play this in a campaign where optimisation was high nor where I expected a long campaign. This is for a weekly Encounters where most of the people playing are new and over optimisation takes the fun away from them so I lean towards flavor  in that setting and odd optimization options that allow them a chance to shine and enjoy the game too.

I am leaning towards a brawler fighter with monk MC for a better unarmed attack. and taking a few encounter/dalies that showcase the hammer. Rather than bring in a change in effectivness I think changing style might have the desired effect. going from beat down with grabs and defender qualities to just hammer punishment when angered. Maybe I might throw some hybrid in there for a more compitent striker mechanic.

I thin Mul race with Dwarven weapon training will keep the investment down to one feat and Master at arms will provide expertise for both weapons. 
Better question:

Believe that is in reference to the shock trooper paragon path, increases the damage die of offhand weapons by 1 so 1d10 becomes 1d12

Ah, that would make good sense. Thanks!
Honestly if you're not interested in optimizing at all I'm not sure why you're here instead of CharDev.  You don't have to be intentionally mechanically clunky to stay at a lower power level.

I don't really understand the concept either. If his fists are his primary weapon, why would he be better with a hammer? If he was better with a hammer, why wouldn't he use it all the time? He's got to lug it around everywhere he goes after all.
I am leaning towards a brawler fighter with monk MC for a better unarmed attack. and taking a few encounter/dalies that showcase the hammer. Rather than bring in a change in effectivness I think changing style might have the desired effect. going from beat down with grabs and defender qualities to just hammer punishment when angered. Maybe I might throw some hybrid in there for a more compitent striker mechanic.

I thin Mul race with Dwarven weapon training will keep the investment down to one feat and Master at arms will provide expertise for both weapons. 

Barbarian hybrid will probably be best, although fighters don't really need to hybrid to get awesome damage. Battle Fury Stance could be good for you, and Brash Strike is an accurate and damaging attack if you're CON secondary and are using a hammer. 

If you take the Master of the Fist monk multiclass you also get proficiency with a ki focus. Use it to get your enhancement bonus for all your weapons. Saves you the trouble of finding both a magical Mordenkrad and Spiked Gauntlet if you don't have Brawler Style from hybriding.
Honestly if you're not interested in optimizing at all I'm not sure why you're here instead of CharDev.  You don't have to be intentionally mechanically clunky to stay at a lower power level.

I don't really understand the concept either. If his fists are his primary weapon, why would he be better with a hammer? If he was better with a hammer, why wouldn't he use it all the time? He's got to lug it around everywhere he goes after all.

The reason I came here is you guys have done so much theorycraft that this may have reminded you of a build I could look at that may actually work with my silly thematics. I realize the idea is not tier 1 so I am looking for ways to hit a baseline of op for heroic which is not a very high bar.

The concept is simply a bruiser who can use most any weapon compitently and favors the 2 hander but likes to get personal with his hands. Think Marv from Sin-City. 
Sign In to post comments