Contest - Witheral

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Witherals are creatures that can't recover their strength like other creatures when they are out of combat.
Therefore they all have "Damage is delt to ~ in the form of -1/-1 counters." or similar.

This means they must compensate in other ways, the main way being that most Witherals heal all the time.
For example "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove two -1/-1 counters from ~."

Light Witheral
Creature - Witheral
Damage is delt to ~ in the form of -1/-1 counters.
At the beginning of your upkeep, add two +1/+1 counters to ~.
1/1

Dark Witheral
Creature - Witheral
As ~ enters play it gains a -1/-1 counter.
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove two -1/-1 counters from ~.
5/5

Create more Witherals, they may be of any color.
What's the unifying theme of Witherals?
What is a witheral?

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Witherals are creatures that can't recover their strength like other creatures when they are out of combat. Therefore they all have:

Or similar, they therefore must compensate in other ways, the main way being that most Witherals grow all the time. For example:

At the beginning of your upkeep, put two +1/+1 counters on ~.
So would a card like Dusk Urchins be an example of Witheral design?

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Yes, I supose it is. It weakens due to combat, the main requirement for a Witheral, whats more this is due to -1/-1 counters. It also gets stronger, or at least a stronger leaves the battlefield effect, over time, although this does not compensate for accumulating -1/-1 counters in the same way as +1/+1 counters do.

It should also have the Witherer creature type.

I imagine that +1/+1 counters can be given to witherers at a more favorable rate than would be balanced for other creatures as the counters will quickly be lost in combat more quickly, even combat that you win. For the same reason, Witherers that have no way of growing could start off being large for there mana cost.
Witherals are creatures that can't recover their strength like other creatures when they are out of combat. Therefore they all have:

Or similar, they therefore must compensate in other ways, the main way being that most Witherals grow all the time. For example:

At the beginning of your upkeep, put two +1/+1 counters on ~.

Mixing +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters on the same card? Man, the rules manager would have your head for that.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I suppose instead of adding +1/+1 counters. -1/-1 counters could be removed instead, that way it could never grow large enough to require more than one type of counter and maintain the same growing and shrinking (or healing and being damaged) feel.
Discoveral |
Artifact Creature -- Witheral
Damage is dealt to ~ in the form of -1/-1 counters.
Remove a -1/-1 counter from ~: Each player draws a card.  Use this ability only once per turn.
3/3

Not sure of good flavor text.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I think the templating is a little off...

Anyway, my version:

Zomboid Packmaster
Creature - Zombie Witheral
If damage would be dealt to ~, put that many -1/-1 counters on ~ instead.
Whenever ~ attacks, remove up to X -1/-1 counters from it, where X is the number of attacking creatures you control.
4/5
He says he wants to invite you over for dinner...some of his friends are hungry.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Wouldn't the templating be more like:

When a source deals damage to  ~ it gains Wither. 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Wouldn't the templating be more like:

When a source deals damage to  ~ it gains Wither. 

No, because that would give it wither against anything (i.e. if a card gives the player a second combat phase). That's a slightly--but importantly--different effect.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

The problem with using the Phyrexian Hydra template (or some other replacement/prevention effect) is that it has too many hidden options, I think.  It's also inelegant, and I'm not sure why they didn't just reverse the wither template in the first place:

"~ is dealt damage in the form of -1/-1 counters."

It's much nicer than getting into the "would, instead" problems that replacement effects can bring.

Rules support would need to be reworded a bit, but the precedent is there.  Wither and Infect are not themselves replacement effects.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I suppose instead of adding +1/+1 counters. -1/-1 counters could be removed instead, that way it could never grow large enough to require more than one type of counter and maintain the same growing and shrinking (or healing and being damaged) feel.

Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Prevent 1 damage to ~.

Alternately, we can change the +1/+1 side of things.

At the beginning of your upkeep, remove N -1/-1 counters from ~.

(The tilde essentially means "this card". N means how the mechanic works.)

You could get away with the effect in a precon, though. The EDH decks mixed and matched -1/-1 counters with +1/+1 counters, both before and after I improved them.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I've updated the example Witheral in the first post to use only -1/-1 counters, it does make it slightly more complicated, see the post for why, but I feel it's worth it, mixing counters probably isn't great, this seems neeter all round.

I've also included information from the background on Witherals post.

I could declare a winner when we have 8 entries. I'm not sure how long these typically go on for.

The Zombie Witheral seems a bit weak, however I'm not familiar with the p/t expectations of black creatures and the power of having the Zombie creature type.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Nice find.